Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Levallois

Practically Family
"To Have and Have Not" (1944) - Bogart and Bacall - Bacall's first movie (she was just 19) and the start of their romance - the reason my daughter's name is Lauren - with Walter Brennan and Hoagie Carmichel - great entertainment.

John

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Home from an arts event, we flicked onto "Caddyshack", and laughed at the lovely, cheesy old humor (and Rodney Dangerfield ;)). After which we flicked to TCM to see "Zero Hour", which I'd never seen, but immediately recognized the almost verbatim "Airplane!" bits. The things you learn....

Oh, and now the Mr. is waxing romantic over the old-fashioned stewardesses in
"Crash Landing".

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I also flipped the dial over to TCM just as Zero Hour was on. It was the part where the kid was in the cockpit. I was expecting the pilot to say "Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Jade Dragon, with Richard Travis and Sheilah Ryan. Sid Melton does his Melton thing. From the Lippert organization. Feels like it was made for next to nothing over the weekend. Supposedly part of the "forgotten noir" collection, but there's really nothing noir about it.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Just home from friends down the street who fed us eggplant parmesan and played "Drag Me to Hell", which wasn't bad, being a Raimi film and all.

Now, relaxing with a little red wine, cat at my side, and the tail end of "The Misfits" on tv.

Edward

Bartender
Happened to flick thhe tv on tonight to catch The Hudsucker Proxy. A 1959 that could be 1949, sharp suits, sharper dialogue, whimsical and cynical all at once, and a Bruce Campbell Cameo. Verily a film can't get much closer to perfection than that....

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Atomic said:
Just watched Frankenweenie for the first time. Its a short but still a movie!

LOVE that short. Just beyond awesome.
Burton needs to shoot in B&W more often, although I know audiences would hate it.

I just watched Zombieland, again :D

LD

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Edward said:
Happened to flick thhe tv on tonight to catch The Hudsucker Proxy. A 1959 that could be 1949, sharp suits, sharper dialogue, whimsical and cynical all at once, and a Bruce Campbell Cameo. Verily a film can't get much closer to perfection than that....

An outstanding film that can't make up its mind. Fifties? Sixties? The Kate Hepburn turn make it Thirties? Beautiful to look at, dialogue that crackles, clever plotting, but plain crazy in parts.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I watched Chicago (2002) for the first time the other night.

I missed the wave of popularity (purposefully) and I dont know what I was expecting but I didnt expect it to be that good. It was long, felt long, and some of the songs could have been shortened, but it was really fun. The editing was amazing! And John C. Riley's version of 'Cellophane' was inspired.

LD

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I agree, John C. Reilly was brilliant in that part - the standout in a movie that mostly didn't live up to its hype. He's such a wonderfully versatile character actor, sometimes scary (Gangs of New York), sometimes touching (Chicago, The Good Girl), and often hilarious (Walk Hard and many others).

And Edward, speaking of the Coen Brothers, I liked Hudsucker a lot, even though it didn't really all hang together that well. I just saw their latest film, A Serious Man, last night. I always like their films, but I think this one is their best in years (since neither No Country For Old Men nor Burn After Reading particularly thrilled me.)

Maybe I'm exactly the right audience for it, finding myself in a painful, confusing moment in midlife much like its protagonist, and able to relate shockingly well to its American-Jewish-in-the-sixties-suburban setting... But its modern spin on the Book of Job is both tragic and comic - always a Coen Brothers specialty, but rarely as fine-tuned as here. Maybe this movie is too intellectual, and too Jewish, to be widely appreciated like their most successful films, but I just can't stop thinking about it...

Feraud

Bartender
^ Agreed on the versitilty of JC Reilly as an actor. The guy rarely disappoints in his roles. Reilly was a guest on a John Stewart show I attended a few years back. Good stuff.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe