Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
Trying on my new Hercules braided trim in Steerhide. Made by California Sportswear Co. Late 1950s.

I thought I heard you mention that you were thinking about trimming your closet of heavier jackets, no? That's a beauty and looks like it's probably stout and heavy. Was it someone else that said that or did you see this jacket and just had to have it, heavy or not?

Nice jacket either way.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I thought I heard you mention that you were thinking about trimming your closet of heavier jackets, no? That's a beauty and looks like it's probably stout and heavy. Was it someone else that said that or did you see this jacket and just had to have it, heavy or not?

Nice jacket either way.

The trimming of Heavy jackets was in relationship to the Lost World Test I sold. The weight was not a factor. It is all about the braided trim. I never found one till recently. Now I have this steerhide by California Sportswear and one by Roughwear Clothing. I don't believe these were advertised in horsehide. They came out around 1954. They are so 1950s.

I posted a video in the Sears MC thread. I will be posting more about this jacket on my youtube channel.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Just for a very short time in the morning.

IMG_4304.jpeg

cbez

One Too Many
That's the 'special introductory price' lol

You can get quality belts on etsy for like 50 bux

Example:

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Yes, unfortunately. That's just the price you have to pay when you make something yourself from scratch. I have no idea how long it takes to forge a belt buckle like this by hand, cut the strap to size and sew it (the leather is 5-6 mm thick).
I think it probably takes a good 2 hours of work. Then there's the material, workshop etc. and then you're quickly at such a price.
Of course, a belt with a buckle from industrial production, riveted, is faster and cheaper to produce (and therefore doesn't have to be worse). But it is not a unique piece.
Everyone has to decide for themselves whether it's worth it.

Leather_nube

Familiar Face
Yes, unfortunately. That's just the price you have to pay when you make something yourself from scratch. I have no idea how long it takes to forge a belt buckle like this by hand, cut the strap to size and sew it (the leather is 5-6 mm thick).
I think it probably takes a good 2 hours of work. Then there's the material, workshop etc. and then you're quickly at such a price.
Of course, a belt with a buckle from industrial production, riveted, is faster and cheaper to produce (and therefore doesn't have to be worse). But it is not a unique piece.
Everyone has to decide for themselves whether it's worth it.
Totally! I’ve been looking for a nice hand forged buckle and belt combo. The price is justified for sure, it’s gonna go on the list until I’ve saved a bit again.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
screenshot from an ig account, taken at a local bike night social last evening.
I'm on the left, Cal cross zip with mouton collar, A3 mechanic's cap.
Got this jacket on here from Destruct. It's incredible. Probably a size too small, and that's why it looks so good. Only jacket I have that has me heading to the treadmill to keep.
Friend on the right in a vintage cafe racer, unlabelled.

View attachment 635923

Makes me want to get a too-small Cal cross-zip now to go with my too-small straight zip, lol. These tight Cals look like they should. Anybody got a 34 cross zip? Lol.
PXL_20240726_201507703~2.jpg

Last edited:

Khilij

One of the Regulars
That's the 'special introductory price' lol

You can get quality belts on etsy for like 50 bux

Example:

Thanks for this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member