Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Have You Saved From Your Childhood?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Salv

Salv said:
This jacket:
DSCN1132.jpg
DSCN1133.jpg

Me wearing it in Naples, in 1961 or '62:
Jacket.jpg

Looks like you had style...some guys are just born with it.:eusa_clap

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Lots of stuff - we don't throw stuff away easily...

Lincoln logs
Wooden blocks
Red plastic "American Bricks"
Bank
Lots of books
Matchbox cars
Music boxes
Records
... and so forth

I have toys of my parents', grandparents and great grandparents. The latter are pretty basic! Selected bits of all of this make for sort of a neat Christmas display if I can muster the energy.

I think alot of this accumulating is a function of a family living in one place for a long time. Or laziness.:)

Nashoba

One Too Many
I have a teddy bear that belonged to both me when I was little AND my mother when SHE was little. I have several other stuffed animals from when I was a kid including my carebears and cabbage patch dolls. I still have my dress from eighth grade graduation and my homecoming dress from my freshman year (why I have no idea, but I keep my formal dresses), along with my prom dress which I can almost (gasp, tighten the corset) fit into again. I also have my "box" in a corner of my office closet (which I don't let my husband near) which has an assortment of journals, diaries, notes and letters from elementary school through high school and a little beyond. Old tokens and mementoes from old boyfriends and friends I havn't talked to or heard from in years.
My favorite though is my old pooh bear. He's missing his nose and he's worn and torn, but he sits on the shelf in my office in a place of honor. I love that silly old bear.
Nash

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The only thing I've kept from my childhood is a teddy bear that my father gave me for Christmas. Since he's no longer alive, it is something that'll never go!
My mother still has books and report cards from when I was in school. She says she's not giving any of that stuff up any time too soon, which is actually fine with me since it's fun for both of us to go through them together.

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
A few hundred comic books.
A stuffed bear.
The shotguns my grandfather left me when he died.
A wooden sailing ship the same grandfather carved for me and gave me when I came home from having my tonsils removed.
Books (Tarzan, Heidi, Roy Rogers) that my grandmother used to teach my father and I to read.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ALL my comic books (which I still read).

All my My Little Ponies (100+) I have them all in zip lock bags and catorgorized. I did this about 15 years ago, I was an organized child :)

All of my shtrawberry short cake toys, including her doll house.

My Bingo bear :)

All my Cabbage Patch Kids.

All the diaries I wrote since I was 10.

All my brothers He Man, Gi Joe, and Transformers toys (they were still dye-cast metal back then).

Our first Atari.

And the first doll I got as a baby. Shes pink woth a big bubble head and has a rattle in her skill.

Ah, the memories

LD

Caledonia

Practically Family
My Christening bracelet, which I can still get on as long as a rescuer is available with a metal cutter!

And until a couple of months ago a little koala bear toy about the size of my hand. While as an adult vegetarian it wouldn't be my choice, as a part of my childhood I loved it, but.... The skin dried out and the hair fell off, and the stuffed insides just disintegrated. The only thing of substance was its wee plastic nose and paws. I was sad, but there you go. :(

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Caledonia said:
And until a couple of months ago a little koala bear toy about the size of my hand. While as an adult vegetarian it wouldn't be my choice, as a part of my childhood I loved it, but.... The skin dried out and the hair fell off, and the stuffed insides just disintegrated. The only thing of substance was its wee plastic nose and paws.(

I had one of those!!! Mine disintegrated too. Did yours have pink stuffing?

Tiger-Bear

I have my Tiger Bear. A tiger shaped like a Teddy Bear. A small collection of coins from around the world that my Uncle Charlie gave me. I still have my Luther's Rose medalion from confirmation. A Ben Franklin half my mom found on the front lawn getting into the car to go to Brunswhick hospital in Amityville to have me!

green papaya

One Too Many
a dummy hand grenade

a heavy brass Bruce Lee Jeet Kune Do belt buckle

my baby spoon

my first shot gun an old Winchester .28 gauge

a jade sword necklace

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Mostly my American Girl dolls and Playmobile toys. I also have a little my little pony case I put in various old things like Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, a few favorite barbies, a care bear, she ra, and a my little pony or two. I think I actually have a thing of barbies somewhere... my mom's friend gave me her barbies from the 50's-early 60's to play with when I was little. They were pretty beat up when I got them, but I remember loving the one with the interchangable wigs. I still have those somewhere too.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
I had one of those!!! Mine disintegrated too. Did yours have pink stuffing?

Sorry for the delay. Not pink, or at least not by the time 30 odd years had passed! It was a really dirty looking yellow. And really crumbly, like breaking up very stale bread. It was a wrench on a very basic emotional level. :D with a bit of :( , but more an overall :) in memory of the good times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82