Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
They’re called “jump wings”. US Army, Navy and Marine Corp personnel who have completed jump school in Fort Moore, GA (formerly Fort Benning) are eligible to wear them, including airborne infantry (paratroopers), Army Rangers, Green Berets, Navy Seals, Navy EOD, Marine Recon, etc. I believe the Air Force also sends personnel to jump school at Moore but I’m not sure; however, each branch uses slightly different badges so if you see these, you can pretty much assume they belong to a soldier.

Jump wings were first issued in WWII.

I believe @rogueclimber is intimately familiar with jump wings.
Wow, you just made this hat even more intriguing to me. Now, I want to learn more about jump wings and the entire jump school experience. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Nathan.

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
Now, I want to learn more about jump wings and the entire jump school experience.

When I went to Jump School (1984) it was 3 weeks long (long miserable weeks getting yelled at by the Black hats as the NCOs in charge were called) and culminated with 5 jumps -- Most who earn their jump wings only ever do the 5 qualification jumps. I was fortunate to go on and do a few more including those at British Jump School, and some in Ranger School

But those who spent time in an Airborne unit can have hundreds of jumps

And if you ever see wings with little gold stars in the shroud lines, each star is for a combat jump

Crown Royal

One of the Regulars
When I went to Jump School (1984) it was 3 weeks long (long miserable weeks getting yelled at by the Black hats as the NCOs in charge were called) and culminated with 5 jumps -- Most who earn their jump wings only ever do the 5 qualification jumps. I was fortunate to go on and do a few more including those at British Jump School, and some in Ranger School

But those who spent time in an Airborne unit can have hundreds of jumps

And if you ever see wings with little gold stars in the shroud lines, each star is for a combat jump
Thank you for breaking that down for me, I'm going to see what else I can learn about this hat. One other puzzle is that the sweatband mentions what I make out to be "Kraus Mens Wear" though, as yet, I cannot find any evidence of a physical location for such an establishment.

RickP

Practically Family
Woo Hoo! my "missing in action" Paradise Found shirt finally showed up today. Its been traveling around the country for over 3 weeks. Figured It might brighten the morning up so the grey shirt went back in the closet. Looks like it rain any minute, so its paired with one of the Akubra Stylemasters for a lunch outing
Compress_20240906_105352_2350.jpg
Compress_20240906_110331_1880.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
love the MG pin
The Royal Coat of Arms on a lapel pin, worn by a former serving soldier, gave me that idea.
arms.jpg
I remember thinking what a great hat pin that would make.
My compliments to your lady friend Tina !! The MG buttons really make the outfit POP
* Hope Tina is recovering well
Tina, my lady friend, I shall tell her that. Despite us being married for many a year she tolerates Jessica in my life. Jessica is my 1947 MG. Tina even changed the MG definition. The acronym now stands for: "My Girlfriend!"
shirts 177.JPG

The Biltmore straw got replaced by this bespoke, made for me by former Lounger, Esther Weis.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

RickP

Practically Family
Sitting out here in the backyard under a 40yr old Whippet with one of my favorite Petersons fired up testing a new tobacco (MacBarren Vanilla Creme). Been slinging the tennis ball to the dog for over a half hour and havent managed to wear him out yet lol. Just out here in a nice breeze watching the weather figure out what its going to do this afternoon... Life is good!

Compress_20240906_152221_1132.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1