Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

This was, perforce, a pretty crappy day, for reasons that don't need to be enumerated. About the ONLY good thing about the day was me wearing my 60s-vintage #1 Quality Stetson. So, being a reasonable, and logical person, I'm continuing to wear it in the house tonight, hoping it'll help drain a little more suck out of my mood before bedtime.

View attachment 620647
A hat like that can help lighten the load. Hope for a better day today.

TimmyV

Familiar Face
This one just arrived in the mail this morning so it's gonna have my attention for a few days. Mallory Supreme Quality Custom Made in a Gray/Green hue, depending on how the light hits it. The felt does not disappoint as I can mold it like clay. I am curious about the "Custom made" moniker & hope y'all can educate me a lil bit. Could the average Joe actually order a custom made hat straight from the factory ?

20240613_105558.jpg
20240613_105612.jpg
20240613_105639.jpg
20240613_105659.jpg
20240613_105732.jpg
20240613_105724.jpg

Last edited:

The Shoe

One Too Many
Took my Bailey’s Toyo out for shopping yesterday, but failed to get a photo. Here’s the hat.
IMG_1116.jpeg

I washed the liners of the recent purchases. The water was quite dark brown when I finished the first wash. After the second wash, a lighter brown. The liners still don’t look great, but after drying, they’re a lot lighter in colour, and not grimy to the touch. The hats themselves also got an airing.
IMG_1107.jpeg

Later, I pulled out the shichirin and grilled some chicken, pork & veggies in my regular barbecue hat.
IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_1113.jpeg

As I was cleaning up, I found a feather in the garden.
IMG_1115.jpeg

VoodooSan

Practically Family
This one just arrived in the mail this morning so of it's gonna have my attention for a few days. Mallory Supreme Quality Custom Made in a Gray/Green hue, depending on how the light hits it. The felt does not disappoint as I can mold it like clay. I am curious about the "Custom made" moniker & hope y'all can educate me a lil bit. Could the average Joe actually order a custom made hat straight from the factory ?

View attachment 620731 View attachment 620732 View attachment 620733 View attachment 620734 View attachment 620736 View attachment 620737
Very handsome score, Timmy!

This one just arrived in the mail this morning so it's gonna have my attention for a few days. Mallory Supreme Quality Custom Made in a Gray/Green hue, depending on how the light hits it. The felt does not disappoint as I can mold it like clay. I am curious about the "Custom made" moniker & hope y'all can educate me a lil bit. Could the average Joe actually order a custom made hat straight from the factory ?

View attachment 620731 View attachment 620732 View attachment 620733 View attachment 620734 View attachment 620736 View attachment 620737

My guess is it was more of a special order than a "custom." The customer was probably able to order from a menu of options.

I washed the liners of the recent purchases. The water was quite dark brown when I finished the first wash. After the second wash, a lighter brown. The liners still don’t look great, but after drying, they’re a lot lighter in colour, and not grimy to the touch.
Thanks for the explanation. Just looking at the pic, for a moment I thought…

When I have removed & washed liners I have a bulbous shaped water pitcher I turn upside down & spread the liner over to dry. The bulbous shape helps the liner keep its shape & stay relatively wrinkle free.

Granville

One of the Regulars
My one Toquilla straw, in a Cuenca (herringbone) weave. Cheap stretchy sweat band keeps the hat high on my poll in the heat but can be mashed down if the wind picks up. The 2" brim keeps it dignified in town and I can go from church to strand.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

Got to the surfer's jetty and had to turn around -- nothing but seaweed to the east.
image3.jpeg
image2.jpeg

This is fantastic!! Great find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth