Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Long story short, I found a gentleman on FB Marketplace who indicated he had numerous hats he’d found in storage while cleaning out his late father’s home. He had seven, and I bought three, of which this is the absolute triumph of my lot. It's a Borsalino Featherweight; the color is Opale, and the model is Celesca. It is immaculate, and as light as a feather. Edited to correct the vintage: far more knowledgeable people are indicating 60s to 70s. I’ve always wanted a vintage Borsalino, and 50 to 60 years old is "vintage" enough to make me delighted!

Naturally, I'll be wearing this today, even if I never leave the house! :D

View attachment 610958 View attachment 610959 View attachment 610960 View attachment 610961 View attachment 610962 View attachment 610963 View attachment 610964

You've uncovered some nice hat caches recently, but this one really takes the cake. Very sharp, Mark!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Bounty Hunter by Nate Funmaker:
20240502_080025.jpg
20240502_075709.jpg

Yessir, buddy! Love the hat! Love the music! I didn't know he had passed away.

Yeah, 2 1/2 years ago (removes hat, bows head).

He used to play the Canal Street Tavern here in town a couple times of year and I'd always go to shake my booty a bit - you couldn't stay seated at a CC show. I had the pleasure of having a couple of short conversations with him over the years. The last time I saw him was in Columbus at the Woodlands Tavern.

VoodooSan

Practically Family
My first Kevin McAndrew was purchased the day before yesterday, in the same lot as my Borsalino. Oddly enough, I had never heard of the brand until I bought one on-line last week, which hasn’t arrived yet. The paper tag is partially gone, so all I can confirm is that the hat model began with “Van...” and the color is sable. It’s a 5X beaver, and the brim is 1 & 7/8”, with a Cavanagh edge; the crown is 4.5” at the front crush, and 5” on the side. It has a 2” ribbon, the green and red feather accent is still in very good condition, and I think it’s a quite stylish looker. Going off style and the original price, I’m hazarding a guess as to late 60s or early 70s. As always, that’s subject to correction as I learn more. This will be my hat for the day, once I set out on my chores and errands.

Kevin McAndrew 1.jpg
Kevin McAndrew 2.jpg
Kevin McAndrew 3.jpg
Kevin McAndrew 4.jpg
Kevin McAndrew 5.jpg
Kevin McAndrew 6.jpg
Kevin McAndrew 7.jpg

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
When I find a Borsalino like this one which has all the characteristics of being a normal hat produced about twenty years ago and instead turns out to be a little gem I feel happy for having "studied" the production of the Alessandria company enough to know how to choose
BLUBorsa Germania 1.jpg

The hat was, perhaps, sold in Stuttgart - Germany, but I believe it arrived in my hands, included in a small batch, completely new.
The wording on the lining is the modern one Borsalino Qualità S and nothing more.
BLUBorsa Germania A.jpg
The size (7 1/4 - 6 - 59) is applied with a gold background label and black numbers on the sweatband and the color is number 41. Understanding from the writing when it was made is quite risky.
BLUBorsa Germania 5.jpg
However, the color of the felt is certainly "Mirtillo", its finish classic or "rasato" in terms of Italian hatters, the sweatband and windcord of the same color and the edging of the brims slightly tending towards violet.
BLUBorsa Germania 6.jpg
Top quality materials and finishes too.
Thanks for the likes on the hats showed in Verona. Have a nice day.

rogueclimber

Familiar Face
When I find a Borsalino like this one which has all the characteristics of being a normal hat produced about twenty years ago and instead turns out to be a little gem I feel happy for having "studied" the production of the Alessandria company enough to know how to choose
View attachment 611227
The hat was, perhaps, sold in Stuttgart - Germany, but I believe it arrived in my hands, included in a small batch, completely new.
The wording on the lining is the modern one Borsalino Qualità S and nothing more.
View attachment 611228
The size (7 1/4 - 6 - 59) is applied with a gold background label and black numbers on the sweatband and the color is number 41. Understanding from the writing when it was made is quite risky.
View attachment 611229
However, the color of the felt is certainly "Mirtillo", its finish classic or "rasato" in terms of Italian hatters, the sweatband and windcord of the same color and the edging of the brims slightly tending towards violet.
View attachment 611230
Top quality materials and finishes too.
Thanks for the likes on the hats showed in Verona. Have a nice day.
A delicious colour!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, 2 1/2 years ago (removes hat, bows head).

He used to play the Canal Street Tavern here in town a couple times of year and I'd always go to shake my booty a bit - you couldn't stay seated at a CC show. I had the pleasure of having a couple of short conversations with him over the years. The last time I saw him was in Columbus at the Woodlands Tavern.
I remember him for his version of "Hot Rod Lincoln". Pretty neat you actually got to meet him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters