Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

One more day of cool weather, then the afterburners are scheduled to be deployed for the summer.

Late 50s, early 60s OR Twenty-Five before it gets hot.

20240611_101849_compress28.jpg
20240611_101031_compress36.jpg
20240611_101033_compress26.jpg
20240611_101036_compress92.jpg

I am messing around today with my Southeast Asia fashion. I’ve just about decided to take the Akubra Fed IV in heritage fawn. It’s replaceable, fun to wear and performs well against the elements. It also adds a certain urban flair to my otherwise somewhat spaghetti western getup (I’m actually thinking about Jodorowski’s “El Topo” when I say that).

This outfit is typical of what I wear in Southeast Asia. I do like the aesthetic (though of course it’s not for everyone) but mostly this is all about real protection from specific elements: the heat and humidity, the sun, and the mosquitos.

The harem trousers are a Thai design (at least, I’ve never seen them anywhere else). They have “wings” at the bottom that open on the sides when I am active but lie down and close off the legs when I am at rest. Absolutely brilliant balance between air flow and mosquito protection.

The shirt is a cheap cotton but the cape and trousers are a very sturdy almost hemp-like cotton used in high quality Thai hill tribes clothing. Very cool in the day and warm at night.

With cape:
View attachment 620205

Sans cape;
View attachment 620206

Winged trousers:
View attachment 620209
View attachment 620210

The FED IV:
View attachment 620212

Not everyone’s cuppa tea, but I tell you what - dengue fever ain’t no joke.

Such a sweet lid to top off the harem pants, Nathan.
Those pants are not only in SE Asia, though. I bought myself this pair in Morocco, several sizes ago, in 1975. My father always called them “30 day poopers.” I’ve held onto them in hopes that some day I’ll fit back into them…

IMG_4366.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Such a sweet lid to top off the harem pants, Nathan.
Those pants are not only in SE Asia, though. I bought myself this pair in Morocco, several sizes ago, in 1975. My father always called them “30 day poopers.” I’ve held onto them in hopes that some day I’ll fit back into them…

View attachment 620349
Oh those look great! What is the material?

I didn’t mean harem pants are exclusive to Thailand - just that I haven’t seen the style with the “wings” at the lower leg anywhere else. I’ve even seen images of harem pants/low crotch trousers/30 day poopers (lol) on Italian and Austrian soldiers in the 19th Century.

Oh those look great! What is the material?

I didn’t mean harem pants are exclusive to Thailand - just that I haven’t seen the style with the “wings” at the lower leg anywhere else. I’ve even seen images of harem pants/low crotch trousers/30 day poopers (lol) on Italian and Austrian soldiers in the 19th Century.
They’re all cotton. In my college days I used to run in them through the mean streets of Boston. It was easy to pick me out of any crowd.
Oh, and I never tested the 30 day claim…

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Pulmonary function test day! Not sure why this wasn’t done last year but better late than never.

Modern premier quality Stratoliner. I saw some members discussing wanting a Strat and I can say that I am quite happy with this hat. The premier quality comes open crown, with quite substantial yet very soft felt. The sweatband seems like good quality as well.

I got mine for $160.00 off the Walmart website and if you can find it for that cheap I’d say it’s worth it.

IMG_2374.jpeg
IMG_2375.jpeg
IMG_2378.jpeg
IMG_2376.jpeg

Shorts again today as well!
IMG_2377.jpeg

Just now got in the testing machine - looks like a dunking booth
IMG_2380.jpeg

IMG_2379.jpeg

Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Pulmonary function test day! Not sure why this wasn’t done last year but better late than never.

Modern premier quality Stratoliner. I saw some members discussing wanting a Strat and I can say that I am quite happy with this hat. The premier quality comes open crown, is quite substantial with very soft felt. The sweatband seems like good quality as well.

I got mine for $160.00 off the Walmart website and if you can find it for that cheap I’d say it’s worth it.

View attachment 620386 View attachment 620387 View attachment 620388 View attachment 620389

View attachment 620390

View attachment 620392
View attachment 620391

Nice modern Strat!
Watch out if the doc comes in with a soft ball and smile!

VoodooSan

Practically Family

Modern premier quality Stratoliner. I saw some members discussing wanting a Strat and I can say that I am quite happy with this hat. The premier quality comes open crown, with quite substantial yet very soft felt. The sweatband seems like good quality as well.

View attachment 620386 View attachment 620387 View attachment 620388 View attachment 620389

View attachment 620390

View attachment 620392
View attachment 620391
Prayers and positive thoughts enroute for good results from the testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123