Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good morning. I woke up early to nearly 70'f temps. A VS straw fedora was my choice for morning walkabout and coffee.

i-x9GDnSb-M.jpg

i-B2hwrx5-M.jpg

i-XVfTzvT-M.jpg

The temps are 20+ degrees higher than "normal." I have warm weather fatigue. Later this week we will be back to "normal" and the felts can be more easily worn.

Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
After a month long residency on display at the library the Sears Carlsbad is back atop the head:
View attachment 549983 View attachment 549984

The library liked the display so much they invited me back again next year. And now you know the rest of the story.

Stand by for news!

Glorious hat.

The library gig will be back “In a moment…. ." Or so it will seem. I see an opportunity to expand your collection in order to satisfy the library's clients.

Cheers, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Bob; Congrats that is one special fedora. Given the warm weather of late it is further more special being Select Quality Tropic Weight. In the pic it appears to be felt like a Dobbs Cross Country (light, thin and malleable).

Cheers, Eric -

Thanks Eric! It certainly fits the triple description of the DCC. And, even more amazing, it fits me!

After a month long residency on display at the library the Sears Carlsbad is back atop the head:
View attachment 549983 View attachment 549984

The library liked the display so much they invited me back again next year. And now you know the rest of the story.

Stand by for news!

Glorious hat.

The library gig will be back “In a moment…. ." Or so it will seem. I see an opportunity to expand your collection in order to satisfy the library's clients.

Cheers, Eric -
What a hat! Sounds like Eric has got the right idea

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Good morning. I woke up early to nearly 70'f temps. A VS straw fedora was my choice for morning walkabout and coffee.

i-x9GDnSb-M.jpg

i-B2hwrx5-M.jpg

i-XVfTzvT-M.jpg

The temps are 20+ degrees higher than "normal." I have warm weather fatigue. Later this week we will be back to "normal" and the felts can be more easily worn.
Straw2.jpg
Ooh-la-la Eric, I could give that a good home. What's happening with our weather? It's early October and the UK is heading for a temperature of 86f, eighty-six!
bob hufford.jpeg
1929 Bob, that is seriously impressive. An exceptional hat that has stood the test of time.
Given your's and other loungers complimentary comments about my new hat, made for me by Denton Hats, it gets another outing today. Actually it's growing on me more and more. Thanks for the encouragement.

Red Hat & Blazer1 002.JPG

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Nice. With that band, the hat might also work well with a dark jacket.

View attachment 550123
Ooh-la-la Eric, I could give that a good home. What's happening with our weather? It's early October and the UK is heading for a temperature of 86f, eighty-six!

View attachment 550124
1929 Bob, that is seriously impressive. An exceptional hat that has stood the test of time.
Given your's and other loungers complimentary comments about my new hat, made for me by Denton Hats, it gets another outing today. Actually it's growing on me more and more. Thanks for the encouragement.

View attachment 550125

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Robert! Speaking of "seriously impressive" ... that hat, blazer and tie combo ... wow!
Very kind of you Bob. The lady often lurks here on The Lounge but this time she saw your comment when looking at the screen over my shoulder. "See," she said, "those hat connoisseurs agree that your hat is the business." "Connoisseurs?" I replied, "isn't that some kind of French brandy?" "That's Courvoisier, you silly old fool," she said, giving the back of my head a slap. "If you say so dear."

Nice. With that band, the hat might also work well with a dark jacket.
You are probably right Randy, give it time and I won't even remember worrying about hat colour, but I might draw the line at baby pink!

Last edited:
IMG_20231004_165909735_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231004_165910686~2_Original.jpeg

Cavanagh Lightweight Tyrolean
Velvety Thin Felt in Camel Color
5 inch crown to peak as shaped
5 1/2 open crown
2 1/4 raw edge brim
OPS Era $25 Tag

Here was a hat that looked a bit of a fright on the outside…. But it was the inside that left me asking questions. Outside a crumpled rather tyro looking hat… inside John Cavanagh liner with Park Ave at 47th address which usually point to 1940s hat… an OPS era tag priced at $25… a fabric size tag (reminiscent of Borsalino) and a silk sweat band. My original thought was that maybe the liner had been stuck in the hat after the fact… that or this may have been a Cavanagh European import. After having this hat in hand, I see no reason to believe this is not all original. The liner is properly sewn in place. Further referencing The Hatted Professor, it appears the John Cavanagh liners MAY have sneaked into 1951 allowing for the OPS tag (51 to 53) $25 seems a bit high for a light weight hat.. especially in 1951… however being Cavanagh and possibly being an import may have caused the higher price point. All of this speculation on my part based on the evidence… perhaps others have better points of reference. There is no manufacturing tag under the sweat.. just a small tag with 6 3/4 printed.

As to the hat and cleanup. I was surprised that for what appears to be a rather diminutive hat.. the dimensions were not that small.. the brim 2 1/4 and open crown actually reaches 5 1/2 however the blocking is very tapered and in a true tyrolean fashion, I suppose, the rear brim has quite the sharp flange…. Giving it that sort of Robin Hood look. After brushing a massive amount of dust out and dry shaping that look was very pronounced. The 6 3/4 size is actually US size.. so the hat is a bit small. After significant steaming and because of the fabric sweat, I was able to fairly easily stretch it out to fit fairly well. Then I moved on to loosen up the flange a bit in the aft. On the front, the 2 1/4 brim was actually a bit much with the significant flange… but then had the idea to slightly roll the front of the brim up and tug it down in the middle. BINGO. I’m not set on this crease just yet… but I’m fairly happy with it. The lightweight felt is a velvety soft finish.. similar to Marque Grand Luxe. All and all… I feel it’s an interesting hat and well worth the $15 invested. I guess I’ll just call it my Lightweight Summer Rollable Italian American Oktoberfest hat. I knew it was a lot to unpack.

IMG_20231004_164458337_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_4693.jpeg
IMG_4694.jpeg
IMG_20231004_165952590~3_Original.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads