Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Had a nice pic to share with y'all, even if I am without a hat! This could also be nice for an avatar shot... Taken by my husband this evening, who takes almost all of my pics that I post here. Does need a bit of red eye fix, but Chuck's long gone to bed and I don't know how to do that correction in Photoshop yet! More about this one pic and others of a portrait series, and about the vintage 40s blouse on my post on the "What are you wearing today" thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=854130#post854130
372674064.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
The Stetson Sovereign with Luxuro Finish

SDC10166.jpg

SDC10168.jpg

SDC10169.jpg

SDC10175.jpg

Cavanagh Edge

SDC10174.jpg

And of course, the noggin shot
SDC10165.jpg

It's a light caribou colour with wide black ribbon. Probably a 1950's. Needs a clean and block.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
On the above hat, the retailer's mark is a bit rubbed and hard to capture with my camera. It reads "Mroz Custom Hats 9307 Jos Campau at Holbrook Since 1919." It's a Detroit hatter which was taken over by Henry the Hatter decades ago and still exists in the same shop today.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Ephraim: That hat looks taupe to me, but you are there with it, so I take your word. It looks great and having seen that, I started a thread about, well, I just think I look better in a felt hat than a panama hat. I want a taupe hat to wear around on weekend, when I come home from work and run to dinner or walmart, or when I am wearing dress slacks and a cashmere sweater to the office.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Ha! I gotta stop tryin to guess the age of my hats. It's a mugs game I never win. It's certainly a lighter felt than my other stetsons. I admit I was going partly by the retailer name which I thought had sold to Henry the Hatter a long time ago. Anyways, i like the hat. Its light enough to cope with the warm weather on its way.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Memphis, thanks. it's a versatile colour alright. And light enough to handle warm days. The artificial light doesn't help the photos though. I'll let you know its true colours when I get it back from the hatter after its bath. It's going there tomorrow.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Interesting - so the Cavanagh edge lasted a bit longer than previously thought?
Not quite sharp enough to be certain. The liner with basket weave background does go back to late 1970's as well I believe.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hold on a second, guys. I agree, the liner seems to match my '80s Stetson, but what about the edge? If it truly is a Cavanagh Edge, and not a glued overwelt, or an sewn overwelt, then that means the could have been making them as late as 20 years ago, and I haven't found any evidence to suggest that.

IF that is a true Cavanagh Edge, I submit a different hypothesis:

The sweatband looks stitched on improperly, through the leather, and not through the reed, which suggests that this is a refurb of an older hat. A newer liner could have been used.

We need proof on that edge to have a better idea.

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
:
:
:

The sweatband looks stitched on improperly, through the leather, and not through the reed, which suggests that this is a refurb of an older hat. A newer liner could have been used.

We need proof on that edge to have a better idea.

Brad

Good eye, Brad!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I think that both rlk and I hedged that one pretty well. ;)

You guys were just too quick for me.

I wouldn't have thought it would take me a half hour to make that post, but, your posts weren't there when I started typing, after I clicked "Submit Reply," there they were! That's what I get for lawllygagging* around.

*I tried to use the correct spelling of lollygagging, but you can see from this example what happens when you do!

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe