Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I started with this Stagecoach
20150606.jpg

and ended with the FEPSA 2x hat.
20150606b.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
How do you like that FEPSA felt? Does it seem to be good quality?
I like it. I can only compare it to my Stetsons and Resistols since I do not have any hat made with a Winchester felt (at least I don't think so).
The finish given by FEPSA leaves the fur a bit longer, gives a sensation of velvet. Most people probably will pounce it, I left as it is.
The one I have is 225 grams, not the heaviest they can make (300 grams), it is easy to work with, shaped well as I wanted.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
T, nice hat and nice pooch! Does he/she wear hats too?
Seabass, really wonderful assortment of photos! Your hats have such attitude.
G. Durand, that VS is one of the cleanest and sharpest I've seen-- beautiful.
Nice hat and nice cigar, vmtrevino. The cigar looks good; I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those.
An' A, you are really rocking the boat...er. You seriously wear those so naturally, it's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
SHORT BALDING GUY: I'm relitively a still new to hats so would u mind telling me what your wearing? Thx. Both very nice higher crowns n bigger brims. Is the first a hemp? I like its weave and is that ribbon printed or stitched? Guessing the 2nd is a Panama? That too has a great ribbon.

Bob; The hat is labeled on the inside, "Tropicool." The sweatband is imprinted "Imported Genuine Visca." Visca is a man-made straw from Japan (typically). It is a woven straw that has a similar look to paradisal (higher quality sisal straw). This one has a light waterproof coating over the weave. The terrific weaving pattern is one woven surface and not 2 attached. The band is fabric (type unknown to me) and sewn to the hat body. The leather sweat isa well attached and backed with a liner to prevent perspiration from wicking to the straw body.

More pics here:

i-XtvrgCp-M.jpg

i-hdvL6D2-M.jpg

I am a newer straw hat wearer. Over the past couple of summers I have worn straw hats. They are cool and light. To my experience they may only be a small bit cooler than a light weight felt. Certainly lighter. Each of the modest amount of woven hats I have are very different. I have tried to acquire some of the different types so as to certain which are better wearing lids for me. My hats get worn. I treat them respectfully, but they do wear out.

The above Bob, is certainly my opinion. The Lounge has some very knowledgable folks whose hat collections could be museum displays and they can supply more details and fill in knowledge gaps. The panama hat thread has often been a good start for me. If you are interested in the heirloom, rare woven hats check in with the more knowledgable. My experience is that they are out their, in all sizes, but that persistence is needed. Vintage implies old, but not unusable or rare.

The straws certainly give the aura of summer and have a breezy, cool look. Experiment with a couple of lesser priced ones and find what works for you.

Eric -

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob; The hat is labeled on the inside, "Tropicool." The sweatband is imprinted "Imported Genuine Visca." Visca is a man-made straw from Japan (typically). It is a woven straw that has a similar look to paradisal (higher quality sisal straw). This one has a light waterproof coating over the weave. The terrific weaving pattern is one woven surface and not 2 attached. The band is fabric (type unknown to me) and sewn to the hat body. The leather sweat isa well attached and backed with a liner to prevent perspiration from wicking to the straw body.

Thank you. I like the Visca much better then Shantung.

I am a newer straw hat wearer. Over the past couple of summers I have worn straw hats. They are cool and light. To my experience they may only be a small bit cooler than a light weight felt. Certainly lighter. Each of the modest amount of woven hats I have are very different. I have tried to acquire some of the different types so as to certain which are better wearing lids for me. My hats get worn. I treat them respectfully, but they do wear out.

The above Bob, is certainly my opinion. The Lounge has some very knowledgable folks whose hat collections could be museum displays and they can supply more details and fill in knowledge gaps. The panama hat thread has often been a good start for me. If you are interested in the heirloom, rare woven hats check in with the more knowledgable. My experience is that they are out their, in all sizes, but that persistence is needed. Vintage implies old, but not unusable or rare.

The straws certainly give the aura of summer and have a breezy, cool look. Experiment with a couple of lesser priced ones and find what works for you.

Eric -
Thank you. I like the Visca much better than Shantung.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Joao; Your Stagecoach is a bold excellent hat sir.

T, nice hat and nice pooch! Does he/she wear hats too?

VM; You lead an interesting hatted life sir.

An’ A; Classy! You “clean up well.”

TJ; Your handiwork is something I envy. Well blocked and flanged. I believe that the song in the movie Frozen got it wrong, Reindeers are better than humans is wrong, dogs are better than humans.

Che; Jeepers the kids are growing up. I recall it was only shortly ago they were very small. Excellent pic of Grandfather taking the kids out for a haircut. They, as usual, look public ready! When they grow bigger consider me for their hat cast-offs.

GD; Art's light weight dove is a sweet felt. The ribbon work on your hat is excellent. Love the dove!

Moon; Your pics of late show you looking comfortable wearing the Cd and Strat.

Bob; CD's are an excellent choice for everyday.

Best to all on a Sunday, Eric -

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, Eric, thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I guess I'm gonna have to get my little dog a hat to wear. I can't go outside to sit on my porch without my little buddy following me.

Moon, that Strat's really kickin'. You definitely got that cool ZZ TOP thing going on.

GregNYC

One Too Many
Chamuco, like those Wayfarers!!! The whole get-up is great!

Moon, I like the shape of the Strat. You are definitely WEARING it, you've made it your own!

Last edited:

GregNYC

One Too Many
Che, wonderful family tradition! It definitely makes the world a better place! Hey, what kind of khakis are those? Khakis are another item I collect!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nice hats and photos all weekend, guys. (I wasn't able to open your image, Vic)

Warm late afternoon in Fort Worth had me getting out my VS Semi Colado. Incredible work by Mr. Fawcett!

smugshot_5298067-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe