Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
That Champ looks great, SBG. How much does a featherweight weigh, anyway?

Moehawk; I am not certain. I believe that Alan may have posted some info on comparative weights of his light weight felts a while back. I will use "google" to see anything comes up.

Light weight felts, are certainly a loose definition. I have modern light weights and some vintage lightweights. In brief they are noticeable lighter in weight and more malleable. Being malleable provides a challenge to keep a given shape for any length of time in the case of todays Portis. A wind comes and the crease and crown change. I bumped into a pine limb this morning and came inside and glanced to see in the mirror that the hat was collapsed on side of my head and the crown crease disappeared and was bowler looking.

Hopefully more info coming your way sir. Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Moehawk; Here is a really interesting thread "side By Side / Hat Comparisons," http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?65983-Side-By-Side-Hat-Comparisons . It may not directly answer your question, but it is excellent in showcasing some light weight hats. The thread, IMO, is a real gem as it contains pics of rare gems of hats that odds are very high I will never be able to hold. Vintage hats abound. Enjoy the thread.

Eric -

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Forgot to post my pictures.... a 2 light color hat day

First the Tom Mix
20150601.jpg

Later the 7XCB
20150601b.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the link, SBG! I enjoyed the thread immensely. The reason for my inquiry was because when I requested a felt price list from Wolfram Kopka, the place I asked about a few days ago that nobody seems to knw anything about, there was a "tissue felt" hood available. I was thinking that this may be what is used for these lightweights.
Oh, and I love the 7XCB, Joao!

GregNYC

One Too Many
Dale, always glad to see you. Wonderful find!

Today, 8-dart Spring-weight ribbed cotton cap from Barry.

bb3f273b21054b3cf807745df6a295b2.jpg

e5e8e91cfe2d3885a964004b09333797.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Everyone looks great in these award winning lids!

AnA, the boater looks delicious! And the photos are great!

The Fray is amazing, Alan.

I'm sweating my arse off this morning in South Carolina, might have to switch to a straw soon. Falcon Park. Most of you are familiar with the hat, so here's a little variation.

04f763711c6bf22c7821589cf64bd8da.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
driving rain here today in NJ this morning so I put the Stetson Runabout to the test ..... just got back from some errands and she is soaked and hanging to dry right now

I know a couple of you were curious as to how a runabout would handle weather so I'll check back with you when she is dry
Day two of rain wear in the runabout.
I'm pretty close to putting to bed the claims that this hat cannot hold up in weather.
This hat is not only holding up.... But I might even be so bold to claim that it is starting to look better.
83d8d08cc3ebcf835b5258f3ca9b7d8a.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
It has been a busy hat morning at my abode. Chores and dog walk in a (vtg. Lee All-American (gray)) and then an unexpected trip to the dentist for my wife (wearing a vtg. Stetson Whippet). Even with insurance, the unexpected dental bill was more than my next custom fedora (appropriately now on hold). I am hoping for humdrum yard chores this afternoon. Todays temps, currently 55'F, will warm into the 70'F's for an decidedly more early summer-like Minnesota afternoon.

i-rdnnFdX-S.jpg
i-Cw26z9V-S.jpg

i-K8Vp7P9-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:
Greg, looking sharp, buddy!

Jeff, love the pic. The FP is probably a good summer felt, especially in that color.

Moon, that IS a nice looking hat. Glad its holding up.

Perry, awesome OR.

Eric, two thumbs up!!!

Falcon Park for me today

falconp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe