Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Richard - What kind of Borsalino is that (with the super soft felt). I have two "Rapallos" and they have that same kind of felt and I love 'em. I can wear them with anything and they are so light and warm it is amazing. I think they are both early '60s.

David - Great Stetson.

Andy - I like it. Looks good on you.

Casechopper - I love the big crown on that Greta. Very nice.

Hato - Everybody is getting one of those new Stetsonians. How do you like it/compare it to older Stetsonians. I had one (vintage) a while back and it was gorgeous.

Bowlerman - That is one NICE hat. I love the contrasting colors of felt and ribbon.

I apologize to all for my stupid comment on mink as fur rather than color.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
TJones - won't get to it till I find a decent rounding jack. Don't want to think what would happen if I used scissors.

That is the only way to avoid errors: To think a lot about what will happen - no matter, what tool you use ;)

If you plan every cut and use the whole length of the scissors' blades, it is not hard to make an even cut. If you don't plan every cut - and you cut a long series of short cuts (1/4" - 1" each) - you will zig-zag your way through the job, and you'll end up with a jagged edge. And as John points out: Never ever use your clothes scissors for anything but fabric. Don't even use them for paper - paper very quickly ruins a pair of tailor's scissors. Scissors used on paper should be sharpened by a professional, before they should be used on fabric. I know, it sounds hysterical - but tailors/seamstresses have told me, that it's not. I prefer to believe them :)

Last edited:
Hi Miami,

The new Stetsonian is very nice, nicer than most modern factory hats. Of the two(new Stetsons) however, I like the feel and weight of the new Strat better. I too have a vintage Stetsonian, it is definitely nicer than the newer one.
If you want a decent newer hat, I would go first with the Strat, then the Stetsonian (realizing they are very different stylistically of course).
As far as the mink question, don't feel bad, I can see why you would have thought that. After all, we use rabbit, beaver and nutria for hats, why not mink?
It is a really nice brown color, though.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
You could use a sliver of soap to mark it and cut it with an exacto. When you pounce the edge it will hide a lot of little issues. Note that I did carefully cut 1/8 off the sides of TJ's Indy conversion with a set of high end seamstress' scissors never used to cut anything but cloth/felt. It worked well, with no bad flaws.
Is that why the brim on my Indy hat came out all whopperjawed?! ;) Just kidding :D Actually it came out great. :) I'm going to follow your intructions and try to cut down the brim on the Black Resistol Stagecoach I have. I want to try and make it look like the hat worn by Cap Hatfield in History Channel's "Hatfields and McCoys" miniseries. How wide would you estimate this brim to be....

View attachment 10206

View attachment 10207

View attachment 10208

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm guessing 3 1/4"? That's a nice looker.

Thanks for the comments on the no. 1. I think I needed to let my hair grow to fit into it better. It is a really fantastic hat.

Perry, the felt is all one consistent color. It seems to match closest to the pecan swatch I have from Art. And the lighter trim is th same on ribbon as it is on the edge. I think it makes it glow. I've been really enjoying darker hats with lighter trim.
The stetsonian looks absolutely fantastic!

Alex, nice to see you and the buckaroo in your avatar. (Right?) Congrats on the new job!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Imperial Stetson 3X Beaver Quality

022014_2.jpg

022014_1.jpg

Alan & Manfred, The Dynamic Duo! Fantastic color and form with the Imperial Stetson 3X Beaver Quality! Nothing like an old Borsalino! Looks great brim up plus feather!

Alan & Manfred, The Dynamic Duo! Fantastic color and form with the Imperial Stetson 3X Beaver Quality! Nothing like an old Borsalino! Looks great brim up plus feather!

Right on!
And very spiffy Homburg you have Steve also.
Terry, I thought Cap Hatfield's hat was cool when I watched the movie last year. I agree with Jeff, it's at least a 3 incher. Looks like a Western with a fedora bash. That would be a good hat for you.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to follow your intructions and try to cut down the brim on the Black Resistol Stagecoach I have. I want to try and make it look like the hat worn by Cap Hatfield in History Channel's "Hatfields and McCoys" miniseries. How wide would you estimate this brim to be....

That black Stagecoach you didn't know if you would keep it!?

Cool hat amd ashtray. Nice mellow shade of brown.

Manfred brim up looks good especially with the new eyewear. Very jazzy. I like it a lot

Good hats today gents. Glad to see them all, uplifting on a grey day. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ebonysw45 - thanks for the info on the Legend. I'm guessing Strand Hatters don't do mail order?

Nice Stetson David.

Perry - I really like the look of that Stetsonian. Much more tempting to me than the Strats.

Andy - Yes the American Legends I bought weren't quite there in terms of quality, but weren't that bad either, They do look good, and at the clearance prices were excellent value. I like the colour of yours.

Jeff - great looking wide brim.

Sam - I love that Greta.

Miami - I don't know what the model name for the Borso is. It's Italian new old stock from RMR - probably 70's - sometime before the original factory closed anyway.

TJones - I've cut one of my wife's hats down with scissors and it worked okay - I used a pair of compasses to draw a line, cut then sanded down.

Alan - a real beauty (hat's not bad either ;) ).

Manfred - nice Borso, but don't remind me I still need a decent dark blue hat, my bank manager won't like it :)

Steve - that is an incredibly beautiful Homburg.

Joao - you look good in westerns generally, but that one really suits you.

Joao you look like a gunslinger there.

Richard, of the two new Stetsons, I actually like the feel of the Strat better. The Stetsonian is a little heavier, but still very nice for a production hat. You would not go wrong with either of them.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Perry. Can you compare them to Akubra's at all. Buying from the UK I'm looking at about twice the price for the Stetsons.

---

50's or 60's? Cavanagh 'Louis' for me today on a trip up the coast to Rochester:

Richard,
The feel of the Stetsons is finer than the Akubras I've handled(CD and Fed IV). The Stetsons seem to be "dressier", the Akubras more outdoorsy.
Someone who's had a different, maybe dressier Akubra style may have a different opinion.
I am really impressed with the Strats in particular.

Nice stingy Cav, BTW, enjoy your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe