Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Jared, how do you like your Black Sheep?

To add to Jared's comment, I have two Black Sheep hats and love them both.

Bob does great work and is really creative. Better yet, he can dye the felt in custom colours - getting free of the Winchester catalog.

We are in Philly this weekend and I happen to have my Eggplant Black Sheep along for the trip...

172-L.jpg

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Manfred!

Robert, that's a truly great restoration job they did. Lucky, too, that you don't need to pay shipping costs to and from Optimo!

Nice working CD, Mr. Dean.

Looking very spiffy, David. the mustache looks good on you!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice ones everyone!

It's great to see all these Eggplants showing up-- jlee, yours was one of the seeds for my Falcon Park. I really like the ribbon on yours, David.

Alive/Amplificated: What a great shot! beauty of a hat, too! The proportions are perfect and grey is really your color.

Randall the giant! Nice hat, man! Looking good, and formidable!

Manfred, that is one of my favorites of yours-- glad to see it!

That's a really smart Stetson, rlk. clean lines and compact but full design.

gtdean, something about those Akubra CDs always seems to glow. Nice choice!

I stuck with the same hat today. Forbidden Falcon Park Black Cherry. I wore it with my dad's old leather jacket from the 70s and have already gotten a (very friendly and well-intentioned) Indiano Jones comment! :) It's actually pretty rare that I hear those.

JAVIER

Practically Family
Alive/Amplificated: What a great a hat indeed.

Randall: sharp!!!!

Manfred: that's a superb hat, the color combo is prestige.

rlk: that's a must have on my list.

gtdean: Akubra style nice!

David: your spoiled, too many outstanding lids :)

B-man: Forbidden Falcon Park Black Cherry is cool, I have been waiting on some hats of mine that Parker is working on can take the wait anymore so anxious to see the results. Indiana Jones comments are a compliment or a smart comment by some, well atleast they noticed style!

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Randooch, those Lee's are good hats i have a Trinity & need to bust it out of Hibernation its a light hat too, Cool hat there & old school Jock-Jacket.

rlk, Aw Man hat of my dreams early lite-weight PlayBoy that came out very nice & worth any work needed especially the correct blocking !
the brim does it have the stitching? is it prounounced & do you feel the vent hole's venting,,, well it's cold in Chi-Town but this was a year round hat was it intended so?
very cool !!!!!!

David, Eggplant yum ! you & Jared got the goods & dig the bow 3-D effects looks better than the pics on the Black Sheep site..
say Philly get a real Cheese steak for me with all the fixins !! hey is that a Over head wire for streetcars behind you ? Enjoy your trip .

gt dean, Ranch work is never ending. But what great hats Ranchers wear !

Chepstow !!!!! now we need more pics of that Foulard, Man just a great color combo there.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
rlk, Aw Man hat of my dreams early lite-weight PlayBoy that came out very nice & worth any work needed especially the correct blocking !
the brim does it have the stitching? is it prounounced & do you feel the vent hole's venting,,, well it's cold in Chi-Town but this was a year round hat was it intended so?
very cool !!!!!!

It does have the single row of brim stitching. It is about 60 degrees today. The vent does little more than perhaps reduce moisture trapped inside so a bit less sweating. A Spring and Fall hat.

lauro13

One of the Regulars
Hanging at my shop today with the dog. 3X Beaver Stetson Stingy

Just got this on eBay. Pristine shape and only $27 thanks to my small head. What does "Selv-Edge" printed on the sweatband mean?
51AA86D3-03CA-452E-831F-96CC6E2883C3-2536-000001333278F741.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Nice snag lauro, jealous of you pin-heads, you get all the deals. Hate to break the news but your pooch is a scene stealer too. "Selv-Edge" could mean anything, it's advert-speak. Probably a reference for it in an old add posted somewhere around here. My guess is similar to Resistol's "Self-Conforming" or maybe a reference to the brim edge. Can't tell from your upbrim pix, is there a welted edge on the brim?

What kind of shop do you have?

Last edited:

Flere-Imsaho

New in Town
Borsalino Traveler in Grey

Wearing my new Borsalino Traveler in Grey with brown leather band.
This is my first Borsalino. I like it, very comfortable and very nice quality.
HAGWE

borsotravel1.JPG

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
"Selv-Edge" could mean anything, it's advert-speak.

Selv-edge refers to a specific type of Stetson brim treatment, a type of non-stitched welt edge, similar to the Cavanagh edge. The name supplanted the earlier term used by Stetson, the "Mode Edge", in the late '50s or early '60s, although the two may be a different process used to create a similar looking edge treatment. I think Selv-edge was a glued process, while the Mode Edge was a felted process.

Resistol's "Self Conforming" referred to the type of sweatband they used, specifically the way the sweatband and reed tape interacted. Different thing all together.

lauro13

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mike, cheap hats and being comfortable flying economy is the saving grace to being child sized! My folks and I have owned a restaurant in SF for the past 18 years but in my spare time I have a tiny shop in Hayes Valley where I design and sell t-shirts that deal with SF history. Used to freelance doing tees for GAP and Levis and got tired of doing mass produced commercial stuff with not too much meaning so the stuff I make and sell now has to connect somehow historically to the city. Not a lot of money in it but it's fun and hopefully customers walk away having learned some history. Don't know if it's ok cause it's not hat related but below is a pic of the shop.

5C4691CD-8407-4B5C-AD41-669F79C812E5-2536-000001344D8EE9B8.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Selv-edge refers to a specific type of Stetson brim treatment, a type of non-stitched welt edge, similar to the Cavanagh edge. The name supplanted the earlier term used by Stetson, the "Mode Edge", in the late '50s or early '60s, although the two may be a different process used to create a similar looking edge treatment. I think Selv-edge was a glued process, while the Mode Edge was a felted process.

Resistol's "Self Conforming" referred to the type of sweatband they used, specifically the way the sweatband and reed tape interacted. Different thing all together.

Thanks for setting it straight Dinerman. The Madison Ave types are responsible for most the new words and phrases added to our lexicon and hat guts are full of fun word play created by them.

lauro, you own a restaurant and have spare time? 18 years is a long run so must be a good one. Looks like a fun shop.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Lauro
Nice lid & pic good score ! the poochie is super cute & my grands just had a freak out attack of AWWWW que chulo.....
Good work ethic you have !
& who has time nowadays, cool glasses Shuron freeways?
che

lauro13

One of the Regulars
I got those frames from lookmatic.com, they only sell online, $99 to your door with prescription lenses. There is a website called fab.com that posts daily deals and once in a great while they'll sell a coupon for lookmatic so you can get a pair for $45. Not the best quality frame but not bad either and the price can't be beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe