Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
photoon4812at206pm.jpg

VS Hitchhiker today for a hike, of course.
Looking good guys, everyone!
Is that a Gordon tartan you're wearing with your Balmoral, BR?

TipTop

Practically Family
Looking disappointed yet well-appointed, Manfred! Keep up the search. I like to think that with each failure to find a score, I build my reserves of luck for the next time!

Al, your choice from Graham is as superb as your photos.

Ray, WOW! ZOWIE! Holy CRANBERRIES! That is one sanguine lid.

Clossonrr, well-posed with Norma as an admirer.

That's CHIANTI, sir! And I want to get Sammy Davis Jr's initials embossed on the sweat....

Thx Manfred, I wish I were so sure....or sanguine.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Wet block.

Ale, I tried that with the straight sided dome from hatshapers.com. The dome (or block, if you will) is not the right shape for the non-tapered look I'm after. I would need to use the same block---or replica of---the block that Akubra uses. Any suggestions?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Ale, I tried that with the straight sided dome from hatshapers.com. The dome (or block, if you will) is not the right shape for the non-tapered look I'm after. I would need to use the same block---or replica of---the block that Akubra uses. Any suggestions?

Hmm... You don't have to reblock it if all you want is to remove the crease lines. If the plastic dome fits inside the crown, while wet, you can drape the crown with a cotton cloth and using an iron, mid temperature--and pressing strongly--iron the crease. Or you can send it to one of out hatters. Or fish the bay for a wooden block. Hope this helps a bit.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I've definitely done the iron/cotton cloth thing. Everytime I do it and try to crease it with a center-dent it looks tapered on the sides. It just doesn't have that full look of the Akubra fresh out of the box, which I can crease with a near-perfect center-dent within about 5 seconds.

I'm trying with the dome one more time right now. :/

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I've definitely done the iron/cotton cloth thing. Everytime I do it and try to crease it with a center-dent it looks tapered on the sides. It just doesn't have that full look of the Akubra fresh out of the box, which I can crease with a near-perfect center-dent within about 5 seconds.

I'm trying with the dome one more time right now. :/

time to send it away or to get a straight sided block. Sorry I couldn't help more.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I'm always appreciative of your willingness to help. And it looks like what you're saying is true---it isn't something I can do myself with the limited tools I have.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I figured out what it is. The dome from hatshapers is a longer, more oval shape than the block used for the Fed IV. So, when creasing it with a center-dent, the sides of the crown, which naturally move inward, cause the taper and it just looks funny. So I once again gave it the ol' diamond crease. I did manage to make it a bit taller this time.

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
And here are the results (boy, am I a hat geek, or what?!!!) Anyway, so as to not get too OT---this is the hat I'm wearing today! Still wet from spraying.
downsized_0408021823.jpg

downsized_0408021826.jpg

downsized_0408021827.jpg

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Looks good J. I have had good results with the Hatshapers Fedora block as far as a C-crown and a nice pinch. Even used it on my Beaver Brand hat and finaly got it to take the shape.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Looks good J. I have had good results with the Hatshapers Fedora block as far as a C-crown and a nice pinch. Even used it on my Beaver Brand hat and finaly got it to take the shape.

I have the Fedora block too. It's too short for the Fed, otherwise I'd use it on it. The straight sided dome is great but does not work for a center-dent due to its long, oval shape.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Went to town on Friday to a friends watch manufactory. It was cold but sunny and I just came on time to pick up my new handmade watch.
It was Borsalino for me on that occasion BTW.... :D

Frank

DSCN2139.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe