Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I had on my Madras straw

IMG_6496.jpg
IMG_6502.jpg

IMG_6501.jpg

IMG_6500.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
cookie said:
What is Madras Straw? That is one good straw!

I have no idea, other than to say it's not a panama, thought it is woven. It's got a nice open weave on the crown, and an extremely tight, if not very straight weave on the top and the brim, which blocks the sun well.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
cookie said:
What is Madras Straw? That is one good straw!

It either originated in Madras, India, or the manufacturer wanted you to think it did. When I was in high school, we all had Madras shirts. It was a just a plaid shirt, but the dyes used were vegetable, and tended to fade and run together, with repeated washings. It became a fad here, because the colors were said to "bleed" in a pleasant way (advertising spin). The cloth originated in India, but in the early 60's not all of the shirts did.

Today, Madras is known as Chennai, India. (Bombay is now Mumbai).

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
Surf Threads - Clothing

J.T. That reminds me of my Jr. High days (early 60's). Madras shirts were stylish for the Surfers and wanna-bees at my school (Rock & Roll kids). Along with high-water Levis, Black low-top Converse tennis shoes and white socks. We thought it was cool to be stylin' like that. I think we even had Madras belts.

Looking back, one of the other groups (the soul and R&B kids) wore sharp clothes like slacks, or "waxed unfaded Levis", leather shoes (pointy toes) dressier shirts. Hats would have favored them, but I don't recall them being worn.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
bolthead said:
I'm trying to decide whether to wear this one with the back brim up, or down all around.....any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Akubra9.jpg
Akubra8.jpg

.....and down all around.

Akubra11.jpg
Akubra10.jpg

I just noticed, that after I posted, I have it on a bit crooked. :D

Down ALL around !
and.......
ever been mistaken for Russell Crowe ??
You look like brothers to me.
Great hat.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rikrdo said:
Down ALL around !
and.......
ever been mistaken for Russell Crowe ??
You look like brothers to me.
Great hat.
I ended up wearing it just that way that day too.....down all around rikrdo, felt more comphy that way....I was having dinner in LoneStar. :rolleyes: By the way Russell Crowe? That's quite the compliment, and a 1st for me I must say. I thank you kindly. The only other Celebrity I've ever been told I looked like was when I wasn't wearing a hat & I was told I resembled Andre Agase Sp? I don't see that one either......lol

Viper Man

Banned
I like the color on that one, Bolthead. I think I may need to get a green hat one of these days. Here's my new stingy Cavanagh. I stole this one for the opening bid of $9.99. This is the second Cavanagh in a month that I have won off ebay where someone snipped the frayed end off the ribbon. :rage:

Oh well. It's a great hat otherwise and identical to my black Cavanagh in every way except color. This one is sort of a Camel color (Tobacco? Khaki? Tan?) although it's hard to see it in this photo, it's just a touch darker than my t-shirt.

311720876.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az