Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dobbs Hankachif Felt, coaxed from 6 7/8 to 7. Nice color combo on this hat (thank you Garrett)... not showing in the photo is a mauve wind trolley button with contrasting green cord.

101911.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Guys thanks for the "thumbs up."

Rodkins, my whippet nods in your whippets direction. Snap, your new brown is truly a happening hat on your head sir.

At the gym with teens and their diction is wearing off on me, Eric -

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
what can I say Spenser.. but you wear all your hats so well.
This one looks great with what you have on!
Well done!

Alan, D'man - love the Borsalinos.

Love this look, sir!

I tend to agree about Dinerman's style.

Dinerman indeed has a very unique style, and I like it!

Thanks, everyone! I got this hat a few years back as part of a big lot. Every other hat was junk, but this one more than made up for all that. Incredibly lightweight and rolls nicely.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Hankachif Felt, coaxed from 6 7/8 to 7. Nice color combo on this hat (thank you Garrett)... not showing in the photo is a mauve wind trolley button with contrasting green cord.

Alan; I was signing off the internet and happened to glance at your post. Your new hat stopped me - the trim and ribbon make the hat very handsome. Congrats on the urging of size mod. Patience for size mod has been hard learned in my case. Nod to you. A grand addition to your herd of hats. Handsome hat. Eric -

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

101911.jpg

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Oh wow, the colors of that hat are incredible!!

Thank you Josh and Eric. (And special thank you to Garrett, who makes so many great hats available in the classifieds at very reasonable prices.)

Eric, you have good intuition on the need for a delicate touch upsizing a lightweight felt like this. It seems that the lightweight hat should provide little resistance to the stretcher (I used my professional Garvé.) But the sweatband starts to telescope through the felt quite quickly and the brim flange distorts quickly too. I take it up slowly and then back off to look at the results at each turn of the handle before committing to the setting. I would have liked to gain another 1/8 - 1/4" of circumference, but it will have to stop here. I could just begin to hear the sweatband groaning. :^o

Thanks Perry!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Josh and Eric. (And special thank you to Garrett, who makes so many great hats available in the classifieds at very reasonable prices.)

Eric, you have good intuition on the need for a delicate touch upsizing a lightweight felt like this. It seems that the lightweight hat should provide little resistance to the stretcher (I used my professional Garvé.) But the sweatband starts to telescope through the felt quite quickly and the brim flange distorts quickly too. I take it up slowly and then back off to look at the results at each turn of the handle before committing to the setting. I would have liked to gain another 1/8 - 1/4" of circumference, but it will have to stop here. I could just begin to hear the sweatband groaning. :^o

Thanks Perry!

As long as the sweat is in good shape you can push it a little more. The trick to avoid the sweat telescoping is to block the hat afterwards turning the sweatband outward, that way you can smooth those ugly marks away. And then re-flange the brim. (you can use the garvè if you don't have a block)
Oh, and I'm wearing my silverbelly Disney while riding the NYC subway.

a7a52e19.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that great tip Ale... I will try that on some other hats. I don't think the sweat in this hat will support more without tearing. It will be a good windy day hat... we do get a lot of those.

That handsome Disney looks like a velour in your photo.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Perry and Alan. I love this Disney, it's a very light felt. The velour effect I think is noise from the iphone camera. lol

Alan, check out this Knox I resized for Fluteplayer 07 a while, while back. The sweat telescopes only a tiny bit above the bow. At that time I didn't have the exact block to fit the hat snug enough. I'm sure Flute alread steamed it out, piece of cake, as it was so superficial.

This is a 50's Knox I found in just about NOS shape at an antique store. It was originally a 6 7/8, stained, dirty, and smelly. I sent it to Aureliano, who was kind enough to resize, reblock, clean, and reflange the brim. It's now in excellent shape, with a slightly lower crown (which actually looks a bit better on me), and the brim isn't warped like how a hat normally looks after being put through a stretcher. Kudos to Aureliano for his excellent work!

The hat appears to be 50's to me, plastic liner tip, and a price tag marked $10. I chose to have it worked on because in it's prior condition, the staining made it unwearable. Aureliano worked some of his magic on it, and removed all of the stains! And a 2-size jump isn't easy, especially when keeping all of the original features.

The best part for me is that the price of the hat (along with a Knox 2-hat box) was $10 for the lot!

Thanks again to Aureliano for his excellent work! Any idea on age? I'm just assuming 50's but I don't know much about Knox.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Nice group of hats today, gents. Alan, that Hankachif is very smart, and your new avatar radiates joy.

Today I'm doing some veggie-garden removal in my Akubra Kiandra from Picker.

DSCF1438.jpg

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
Rainy day here in Ohio. Just won this on on Ebay. Westchester ...says its waterproof

WestchesterHatOct192011004.jpg
WestchesterHatOct192011002.jpg
WestchesterHatOct192011005.jpg
WestchesterHatOct192011006.jpg

Sorry about the scary close up

Mirakal... sounds like a text message... it's right up there with Hankachif in the "crazy spellings for trademark rights" department.

Looks good... even when wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe