Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Resistol Beaver "100"

P1020590.JPG

Look for my Summer Straw PreBay Sale in the classifieds soon...

jwalls

Vendor
016.JPG

THIS VELOUR FINISH STINGY BRIM WAS MADE ON A 5-3/5" BLOCK AND HAS A 2" BRIM. I don't normally wear stingys, but my wife liked it.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Jamestown, NY

Donna and I took a drive yesterday down to Jamestown, NY... a place we've never visited. You wouldn't have imagined that the day before the town was alive with hundreds of Lucille Ball impersonators celebrating the centennial of her birth in this southern tier city.

jamestown_2.jpg

jamestown_4.jpg

I am preparing for a show of photographs at the Roger Tory Peterson Institute next year... we visited to see the gallery space and meet with the curator of education. Peterson, a 20th century nature artist and also a resident of Jamestown, is remembered for his landmark 1934 Field Guide to the Birds and the many editions and branded guides that followed its first publication. We had a nice tour and behind the scenes look at his original watercolor plates and the tools he used to collect the data for his drawings and paintings.

rtpi_1.jpg

guide1.jpg

guide2.jpg

Peterson amassed a large collection of bird skins. This drawer contains species that are now extinct - Mark is holding a passenger pigeon dating from the 19th century.

rtpi_3.jpg

Most of Peterson's drawings were stylized and organized to assist in field observation, but in the 1970's he did some lovely Audubon inspired paintings.

rtpi_5.jpg

Donna and I stopped for a picture on the grounds of the Institute before driving the 75 miles back to Buffalo.

rtpi_4.jpg

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

A wonderful day trip, and beautiful photos as always, Alan. You and Donna appear to have really enjoyed your little adventure to Jamestown, and you look splendid in that old Stetson Leghorn!

When will your exhibition at the museum be next year? It would be great to kill two "birds" lol with one stone, to visit the museum AND view your photographs.

By the way, can you confirm whether the bird furthest from the camera in the upper photo, with the brilliant orange, yellow and lime green plumage, is a Carolina Parakeet? It sure looks like one.

Cheers,

AL

Last edited:
Rusty, Josh... thanks very much. I had my mind on other things and didn't take many pictures... but it was a nice chance for us to get away for a drive together.

The fit of this Stetson Leghorn is just right and weight is oh-so light...it's very comfortable to wear. I've had it on quite a lot this past week... even with that crazy yellow pug.

I didn't expect to have such a nice behind the scenes tour of the Peterson archives. Much of his collection and original art are on the shelves and in the files in the back rooms. I came away with a new appreciation for his work. When I got home I found a 1934 first edition of the Field Guide to the Birds for sale and decided to buy it. The photos I added above are from this copy which I look forward to receiving and seeing in person next week.

cheers,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust