Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
This Playboy here has got just the kind of crease I'm talking about (ain't mine - I lost on it just a few month ago...and it went for peanuts...that hurt! :mad: ). Tall, booming crown with a shallow center dent and straight sides. Yummy! ;)

playboy.jpg

Tone

A-List Customer
Doesn't even matter, Neo. The point is that it's still in good balance. And it looks "right".

*Remember that fine sandpaper will remove any brim nerbs if you have any that are bugging you.

Straight on view looks great, though. (It's like having a choice of several hats from one, huh. ;) )

BEWARE the urge to continue to whittle at this point. Looks fine.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:
I dig Mario's portraits. They are painterly and seem to be dream like... very cool

jimmy the lid said:
:arated:

Mario has his own distinctive look -- and that is a high compliment. :eusa_clap

Love the look of the Stetson and the Mallory over the last couple of days, Mario. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Jimmy, Douglas - thanks! Coming from you, this means a lot! :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I ever get an actual camera to take pics, instead of my phone, I'm definitely gonna develop my own signature "angle."

Then I just need to acquire an UNGODLY amount of hats so I can post one every day.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
Then I just need to acquire an UNGODLY amount of hats so I can post one every day.

Ha! I thought the same and started accumulating hats galore - until I suddenly decided to lay off about half of my collection. I've kept 18 - and wear three or four on a (more or less) regular basis. To be perfectly honest, my Mallory Ten Pliafelt is my favorite - and the hat I wear most of the time. What can I do? I just love it and it suits me. If I'm going buy any new hats in the future then only if I'm really sure that I want (and need) them. Right now I'm on the hunt for pre-40's hats... ;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Lookin sharp Mr. P, Mario, Mayser, MichealShane. Neo beware that once you cut to much you can't get it back. And I think you are being too critical on the lighter colors. A tawny campdraft would work just fine, and you can ask them to send you a wide ribbon to play with.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Mario said:
This Playboy here has got just the kind of crease I'm talking about (ain't mine - I lost on it just a few month ago...and it went for peanuts...that hurt! :mad: ). Tall, booming crown with a shallow center dent and straight sides. Yummy! ;)

playboy.jpg
I use this crease in a lot of my hats. Mostly because it's so easy to do.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
Lookin sharp Mr. P, Mario, Mayser, MichealShane. Neo beware that once you cut to much you can't get it back. And I think you are being too critical on the lighter colors. A tawny campdraft would work just fine, and you can ask them to send you a wide ribbon to play with.

You may be right. It's not that I don't like the colors. They are in fact quite beautiful. It's just that I'm not sure that ligher colors are gonna work with my wardrobe, hair color and complexion, and seeing as I honestly don't have a reliable source of disposable income (read: eBay), I have to be very careful in my selection. This is why my first hats were the Akubra FedIV (to model myself in a dark brown and straightsided hat) the Squatter (for roundish, slightly tapered crown and green with wide brim) and the Fedora (carbon grey, very tapered crown and shorter brim). I chose these three because they are nice hats and cheap ways to find out what I want in a hat (keep in mind there were probably easier ways, but I'm new and inexperienced when it comes to hats, hence "Neophyte"), and the features of these three covered pretty much every variation of fedora except for the thin ribbon.

After the modification of my Squatter became a success (and believe me, I ain't going anywhere near that hat with a sharp object EVER, it's perfect right now), I'm thinking about doing something similar with the Campdraft...Do not worry, I haven't eliminated it yet. I'm actually talking with HatsDirect right now about the Glen Grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe