Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Melton & Co. topper arrived today

IMG_20150803_170629.jpg

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm waiting for this little gem;
_57_zps6sefmrjc.jpg
Whippet, long oval, near perfect. Not cheap in my 7 1/2 size. You'd think for a hat that was over $300 the cheap SOB selling it could at least provide a tracking number? Nope! Annoying

I have a Barcelona. I tracked the company down to a hatter in Miami, Roland the Hatter. They went out of business sometime in the late '80s or so. The one I have is a decent hat, the felt is a bit stiff for a fedora but I love the high crown and the colour is an unusual shade of brown. Ebay purchase for about $80

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I have a Barcelona. I tracked the company down to a hatter in Miami, Roland the Hatter. They went out of business sometime in the late '80s or so. The one I have is a decent hat, the felt is a bit stiff for a fedora but I love the high crown and the colour is an unusual shade of brown. Ebay purchase for about $80

I'll guess that it was not the same maker. This hat had a 2006 date on the label. The felt was loose and floppy and would not hold a shape, even when steamed. The sweatband looked to be made of some sort of thin cardboard backed "bonded leather." It was only $27 shipped, so I tried to think of some reason to keep it. I felt badly that the seller would have to eat the shipping too, but I couldn't think of any reason to keep it.

Now I'm waiting for a Resistol Open Road clone, probably in silverbelly, for $30 shipped. :D

It probably helped that it was listed as a Men's Gray Hat Size 7 1/4 By MOSER'S Made in Maryville TN USA and not Resistol Open Road Silverbelly
A $30 "Buy It Now" with free shipping didn't hurt either.

Resistol OR1.JPG Resistol OR2.JPG Resistol OR3.JPG

Aside for the light stain on the underside of the brim, it looks like it's in pretty good shape. I'll know soon enough...

Roger

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
those are the best finds...

it takes little more digging to find them ... but when you stumble across something where the seller has no idea what they have ... Muah - (that was me kissing my finger tips and opening my hand like an Italian chef reacting to a flavor explosion) :)

chef kiss .jpg

Last edited:

rogerstg

A-List Customer

it takes little more digging to find them ... but when you stumble across something where the seller has no idea what they have ... Muah - (that was me kissing my finger tips and opening my hand like an Italian chef reacting to a flavor explosion) :)

You're so right, and I have TFL and fellow loungers to thank for the education and perspective.

Roger

I usually just get all sweaty and try to find out what's wrong with it. Finger hovering over the Buy it Now button, then BAM! (stuck with the cooking theme - heh). Then I look at my wife and say, "I just bought a hat."

There's always the danger of it not being what you expected. Or the excitement of being more than you expected.

I am, as of last night, waiting on these two Daltons

Dalton Brown.JPG Dalton OR.jpg

Picked them up for $20/per, but they're a tick down from my size, at 7 1/8. Given that I own one Dalton, and it's such a great hat, I took the chance on these and have been in contact with the very friendly and helpful Nina at Optimo. After I get these bad boys in hand, I will be shipping them off the Chicago for reblocking to my size and complete rebuild. I'm looking forward to seeing the results. My other Dalton is such a fine piece of felt, I figured it'll be worth it to have Optimo put their imprimatur on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe