Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Lately I've been using a Merkur Futur with a Feather blade, Proraso in the tub, and the $35 C&E badger brush by Edwin Jagger.

JEEP

Practically Family
Just bagged this:

554490252_2_Big.jpg

It is supposedly a replica WWII german luftwaffe (airforce) shaving set.

The razor looks to be a Merkur 1904 - a nice little razor as far as I has been told.

The brush looks nice aswell, but the auction lacked any information regarding materials.

The big question is whether the razor automatically leaves a tiny little moustache on my upper lip :p

Regards.

Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Just snapped this one - Gillette Old Style and Merkur Classic 15C:

Gillette_OldStyle_Merkur_Classic_Ba.jpg

Not bad with a Sony DSC-H, a piece of paper as background and the lamp over my sitting room table as lighting.

If anyone is interested I have it as a 1680x1050 desktop image. Just PM me.

Regards.

Jakob

jdelamar

New in Town
Shaving

I use a Mach 3 razor with a handle by Caswell Massey (for a vintage appearance) and shaving soap by the same company sometimes and other times by other companies. I think my brush is badger as I have had it for some time and it still does a great job. Burt's Bees has a good soap as well.

4and1

One of the Regulars
Bebop said:
I can't seem to shave without having my face feel like someone just sandpapered it. What do you use to shave?

I suggest you take the time to learn how to use a straight razor. A properly sharpened straight razor will give you a close shave without the burn.

Also, I've discovered that a little (6 or 10 drops) of hydrogen peroxide in your soap will help whip up a really rich lather.

Happy New Year, people!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I have tried a Merkur with a Derby Extra blade but I still get a closer, smoother shave with the 5 blade Fusion.

I also use shave oil and soap.

Could it be because I only do a wet shave a few days out of the week and use an electric the rest of the time?

Posters to the Badger and Blade all say the Merkur beats the Fusion for smoothness and no irritation. It might be that I am also not shaving correctly.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Brian,
It's all about the learing curve.
Remember learning to ride a bike??? Not being able to stop, crashing, falling? Now, it's easy right?
The thing with wet shaving, it takes some dedication. There's a skillset that doesn't translate to other shaving forms. Mach users, and even electric users, are used to pressing the razor into your skin like the Dickins. Letting the razor do the work is the key, but that being said there are a lot of keys. Razor and blade combo to suit your skin, soap or cream lather technique and consistancy, razor technique, after shave products, yeah, it's a little daunting...
Have you watched the YouTube videos from Mantic?

DeaconKC

One Too Many
A pleasant surprise

A few weeks ago I saw some Avon AS Balms on sale for $1.99, and figured I couldn't go too wrong. Man, these are great, very soothing and moisturizing. If you need a moisturizing balm. giver these a try, they smell very nice to boot.

Brinybay

Practically Family
rmrdaddy said:
Briny,
Looks possible...
but I'd buy it anyway if I were you and the price was reasonable. Did you search the maker? http://www.racinehistory.com/silverplate.htm

That piece looks to be pretty old, and quadruple plated too by the hallmarking.

I'd lather in it!

I have it in my possession. I got it from a family member but want to give them a fair price. It appears to have had some rough use, as it's a little out-of-round as seen in this picture. I picture some prisoner in a jail raking it across the bars.

cup4.jpg

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I recently started collecting vintage gold plated Gillette's. The quality of the 60+ year old razors is incredible. It is obvious the craftsmanship and pride that went into making them. To build these today would be hundreds of dollars, a shame as the average shaver would never pay that but what they would be missing.

Charlz

Familiar Face
I think the key to a good shave is the soap.
I own a tiny health food store and we carry
Ginesis shampoo which I use as a shave soap. It cleans the skin, softens the hair and does not dry you out. It is also a fantastic as a shampoo:rolleyes: . If you have dry flakes Ginesis with put a stop to them. Works great on beards and moustaches as well. I know it sounds like a cheesy commercial but this stuff works.
http://www.ginesis.com/products.htm

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Charlz, you have a very valid point. A good soap/brush combo can make an ordinary razor perform very well, but a poor soap will make the finest drag and skip. Even using cheap disposables or cartridge razors, the shave is much better than with the canned stuff.

freebird

Practically Family
Promised Jeep that I would send him some pics of my ww2 double edge razor and decided that I would just post them here for everyone to see.

I picked this one up at a flea market for 5.00 about 10 years ago, still in its original packaging. This one is a collector, as far as I can tell it is unused. The 5 pack of blades even has the cellophane still intact.

ww2safetyrazor002.jpg

ww2safetyrazor003.jpg

ww2safetyrazor005.jpg

ww2safetyrazor007.jpg

ww2safetyrazor008.jpg

ww2safetyrazor009.jpg

ww2safetyrazor010.jpg

ww2safetyrazor011.jpg

ww2safetyrazor012.jpg

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Just opened up a really nice Gillette Toggle in the mail. I like this razor, honest wear on the doors, you can tell this was someone's favorite razor. Very well cared for and in excellent shape. I can't wait to use it tomorrow!

JEEP

Practically Family
Got two packages in the mail today.

The first one, from Proshave, contained a Merkur 38C and a case for a Merkur Progress:

Merkur_38C_01.jpg

Merkur_Case_01.jpg

The 38C is a beautiful razor! It is not untill you get to hold it you realize just how big and heavy this razor actually is. I am very much looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.
The Progress case I am planning to use as a travel case for my 34C. The razor fits in nicely. All Merkur razors should come in cases like this, instead of the cheap cardboard boxes.

The second package contained a vintage Sharpex DE blade stropper, with original box and paperwork, I picked up at an online auction. An interesting (display-) piece:

Sharpex_Stropper_01.jpg

Regards.

Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld