Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The La Traviata won, and the seal on the Laphroaig was broken.

Do you really not like La Traviata, James?

BobC said:

YES. The box reminds me of Forrest Gump's box of chocolates metaphor. You never know what you are going to get. Some have lousy draws, some have better draws and some have good draws. This certainly affects the flavor. The best draws delivered the best well balanced cigar. The others were woefully inadequate. They were the Pimms of cigars. :p
As I mentioned before, I had a few friends over and we each tried one. That occassion left all of us with poor drawing cigars. The ice pick fixed it up a bit but I expect more from such a cigar rated so highly by Cigar Afficianado. They must have gotten a much better box than I did. [huh]

BobC said:

I forgot to mention that you sort of have me on the Laphroig paired with a LFD dougle ligero. It balanced out that heavy peaty, iodine taste and actually made it enjoyable. I might have to buy a bottle and see if it works the same here as it did on the QM. :D

Mario

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
Nice present. Better hang on to that friend, Mario.

I had a Tempus this afternoon and debating between a La Traviata and a My Father for the evening.

I picked up a new bottle of Laphroaig that stands a good chance of being uncorked to accompany my evening cigar.

Bob - if you're fond of Islay whisky I urge you to try the 16 years old Isle of Jura (if you didn't already). As the name suggests it's not exactly from Isaly but from Jura, an island that's barely one kilometer away. I'm sure you'll love it.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mario said:
Bob - if you're fond of Islay whisky I urge you to try the 16 years old Isle of Jura (if you didn't already). As the name suggests it's not exactly from Isaly but from Jura, an island that's barely one kilometer away. I'm sure you'll love it.

Thanks, Mario. I'll see if I can locate it.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Is that the Dougle Ligero or the mild one? ;) :p
I had a San Cristobal de La Habana El Morro. Now say that five times fast. ;) Still just as good as it ever was. The El Morro is a great size for just sitting down and relaxing.
They are just Ligero, no double. The construction and shape were perfect but at double the price of other LFDs the flavor was no better.

indycop said:
They are just Ligero, no double. The construction and shape were perfect but at double the price of other LFDs the flavor was no better.

The double is better in flavor--not necessarily construction. The draw is pretty good and the construction of the one I had with the pigtail was quite good. They have probably among the highest quality control of many brands. I never see sunspots or uneven wrappers in their cigars---then again---as you mentioned----for the price, you shouldn't. ;) :p

rikrdo

A-List Customer
BobC said:
I picked up a new bottle of Laphroaig that stands a good chance of being uncorked to accompany my evening cigar.

One of my favorites.............altho, not all would agree with me :)

Burned a bowl of MacBaren Navy Flake on my way home from work this morning.
and now enjoying a beverage (or 2) after a particularly crummy week...........

rikrdo

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
I forgot to mention that you sort of have me on the Laphroig paired with a LFD dougle ligero. It balanced out that heavy peaty, iodine taste and actually made it enjoyable. I might have to buy a bottle and see if it works the same here as it did on the QM. :D

Oh my !!!

IMG_2628.jpg
....................that was a great time and I must say, the La Traviata gifted to me was really nice.
I musta got a good one !!

rikrdo said:
Oh my !!!

IMG_2628.jpg
....................that was a great time and I must say, the La Traviata gifted to me was really nice.
I musta got a good one !!

Darn! I gave away the good one! ;) :p I thought I gave you the LFD Double Ligero. Gee, sorry to experiment with you. ;) :p
It was a good time indeed. :D And yes, it was you who bought me the Laphroig to go along with that cigar (thanks again by the way). I suppose my mind can be changed once in a while. ;) :p

rikrdo

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Darn! I gave away the good one! ;) :p I thought I gave you the LFD Double Ligero. Gee, sorry to experiment with you. ;) :p
It was a good time indeed. :D
Oh.................you did indeed gift me a LFD, as well :eusa_clap
Must say, I thought the La Traviata was the better stick, tho.
OTOH, just bought some MAXX Traditionals.
Any experiences with these ??
Got them for a song at Famous, but its a "gamble" since Ive never tried one.......

rikrdo said:
Oh.................you did indeed gift me a LFD, as well :eusa_clap
Must say, I thought the La Traviata was the better stick, tho.
OTOH, just bought some MAXX Traditionals.
Any experiences with these ??
Got them for a song at Famous, but its a "gamble" since Ive never tried one.......

Better than the LFD!? I must have gave you the best one in the box! :p lol lol
The MAXX are some of my favorites so I have a bias there---you can see it in the previous messages. I like the MAXX The Ego best but the Traditionals are just as good being that they are the same blend---just in other sizes. Traditional sizes:rolleyes: Rubin sure is a pragmatist in his cigar names. :D
How good a deal were these? I might have to try out the churchill size if they have them. ;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
The double is better in flavor--not necessarily construction. The draw is pretty good and the construction of the one I had with the pigtail was quite good. They have probably among the highest quality control of many brands. I never see sunspots or uneven wrappers in their cigars---then again---as you mentioned----for the price, you shouldn't. ;) :p
I have had the Double Ligero but the Mysterio doesn't come in it or a pigtail, just the fancy torpedoish shape. I do want to try the lancero also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe