Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Martinis! However, I just finished The Fencing Master by Arturo Perez-Reverte, and was wondering what book of that author you recommend I read next?

It was an excellent book.

Vintage Betty

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
Thanks Martinis! However, I just finished The Fencing Master by Arturo Perez-Reverte, and was wondering what book of that author you recommend I read next?

It was an excellent book.

Vintage Betty

The Club Dumas. This was made into a movie starring Johnny Depp, The Ninth Gate.

If you can't find The Club Dumas, then I would suggest The Flanders Panel.

Cheers,

M8

vonwotan

Practically Family
Couldn't agree more. The Club Dumas and The Flanders Panel are both terrific.

Martinis at 8 said:
The Club Dumas. This was made into a movie starring Johnny Depp, The Ninth Gate.

If you can't find The Club Dumas, then I would suggest The Flanders Panel.

Cheers,

M8

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"The Battle for Spain - The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939" Antony Beevor

Apparently translated from the Spanish and #1 on the bestseller list. Looks good.

Sunny

One Too Many
Martinis at 8 said:
Here are the ones I have read over the years. I enjoyed them all, and have been a fan of The Saint since childhood.

Concerning the Saint
Saint Errant
The Saint in Europe
The Saint and Mr. Teal
The Saint and the Hapsburg Necklace*
The Saint and the Templar Treasure
Catch the Saint
Count on the Saint
Vendetta for the Saint.

I am currently reading The Saint to the Rescue. Keep in mind most of these books are compendiums.

I've recently completed all of Ian Fleming's Bond series. These are great also, but I rather prefer the work of Leslie Charteris.

Cheers,

M8

*P.S. Try this one if you have not read it yet.

Many of the later Saint books were written only partially by Mr. Charteris or wholly by someone else. The Hapsburg Necklace is one of these. It's a Saint story (which I read once many years ago), but not by Mr. Charteris. The wiki entry on Simon Templar provides a wealth of very accurate information, including an exhaustive book list. Many of the books and collections have alternate titles.

I was introduced through the First Saint Omnibus, which has a excellent variety of all pre-war short stories and novellas. Enter the Saint has three excellent novellas, as does Featuring the Saint. I'm also very partial to The Saint Vs. Scotland Yard, or The Holy Terror. :eusa_clap

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman- I can't say I like his writing style, it just has no proper sense of "flow", and is very jumpy and all over the place. Hopefully it'll get better, seeing as everyone always raves about him. [huh]

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Sunny said:
...I'm also very partial to The Saint Vs. Scotland Yard, or The Holy Terror. :eusa_clap

I've been looking for that one. It's not in my collection yet. I've been getting various editions from used-book websites here in the US.

Next trip I make to London I will be scouring the bookshops at Charing Cross.

Cheers,

M8

Sunny

One Too Many
Martinis at 8 said:
I've been looking for that one. It's not in my collection yet. I've been getting various editions from used-book websites here in the US.

Next trip I make to London I will be scouring the bookshops at Charing Cross.

Cheers,

M8

One of the three stories is in The First Saint Omnibus. The whole thing is the last "book" in the five-book volume of the Saint that was published in the early 1980s. A friend just picked it up for me at Half-Price Books. It's a very good introduction to the Saint, come to think of it, since they're all very early in the Saintly saga.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Sunny said:
One of the three stories is in The First Saint Omnibus. The whole thing is the last "book" in the five-book volume of the Saint that was published in the early 1980s. A friend just picked it up for me at Half-Price Books. It's a very good introduction to the Saint, come to think of it, since they're all very early in the Saintly saga.

That's really cool we have some Saint fans here. I like to tell folks that I have patterned parts of my business model after him. I think the concepts of self-sovereignty that Simon Templar portrays are much more exciting than those of James Bond - a mere civil servant, who has a boss that berates him.

Cheers,

M8

mikepara

Practically Family
Well,

I'm reading 'A wodehouse Companion' by Richard Usborne it seems like it's going to be good.

I've got Cricket with the Kangaroo by C.F. Mc Cleary (Ashes) 1950 waiting in the wings.

I've never read any of the Saint books, the stupid TV show put me off I think. Though the Volvo he had was nice.

Sunny

One Too Many
Martinis at 8 said:
That's really cool we have some Saint fans here. I like to tell folks that I have patterned parts of my business model after him. I think the concepts of self-sovereignty that Simon Templar portrays are much more exciting than those of James Bond - a mere civil servant, who has a boss that berates him.

All three of my brothers are now Saint fans, thanks to me. ;) The youngest one (just now 17, and quite mature and responsible) has really gotten into it, to the point of using the haloed stickman everywhere and telling all his friends how he himself IS the Saint. The scary thing is that he's perfectly capable of being just as Saintly as Simon Templar when he wants to be. :eusa_clap

mikepara said:
I've never read any of the Saint books, the stupid TV show put me off I think. Though the Volvo he had was nice.

I haven't seen enough of the show to pass a blanket judgment on the whole thing. (I am WAY too critical by nature, and I'm making a big effort to be kind. :D) But in my opinion, the books are far far FAR better than the show. The George Sanders movies are pretty fantastic as well. Not perfectly on target, but very good.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
mikepara said:
...I've never read any of the Saint books, the stupid TV show put me off I think. Though the Volvo he had was nice.

Hey Para,

Airborne Ranger here (early 80's).

You are correct, the later series were a bit much. However, the early black & white shows were quite enjoyable. They are available now in DVD from A&E.

I find the pulp fiction crime genre quite enjoyable for my airplane reading. Much better than heavy reading stuff for inflight diversion.

Cheers,

M8

Martinis at 8 said:
...James Bond - a mere civil servant, who has a boss that berates him.

Yeah, but if you read Fleming's novels, it seemed to me like M only rags on Bond because he's the best agent in the Service, and is like a son to him. (IIRC, Bond was one of M's--Admiral Sir Miles Messervy--Navy subordinates before joining the Dark Side...)

Is Charteris' work still in print?

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Yeah, but if you read Fleming's novels, it seemed to me like M only rags on Bond because he's the best agent in the Service, and is like a son to him. (IIRC, Bond was one of M's--Admiral Sir Miles Messervy--Navy subordinates before joining the Dark Side...)

Is Charteris' work still in print?

Yes, you are correct, and Bond is good, especially in the novels. My favorite is TSWLM. Though Fleming would probably say it was his least favorite. I also like Moonraker, where Bond DOES NOT get the girl. As for the movie franchise, I am very glad that CR is moving the franchise in the right direction.

No, Charteris' work is no longer in print. He started his Saint series in the early 30's. The Fleming novels, however, have just been released again by Penguin (originally from the early 50's). Nice art deco covers on the new release. I'll comment on why I like Simon Templar better from a business role model standpoint in a separate thread.

About your Avatar: We need to start another thread sometime on the merits of Mac versus Volckmann. Much to debate re PI.

I'm not really a vintage dresser, but it is so cool how people here are into literature and history.

Cheers,

M8

Harp

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Revisiting another old favorite, "A Confederacy of Dunces," by John Kennedy Toole -- an epic of mid-20th-century New Orleans, stressing the advantages of theology, geometry, and a smoothly-functioning pyloric valve!

An excellent book; all the more so because of its author's
unfortunate end.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe