Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

warbird

One Too Many
russa11 said:
right now I am currently reading All the President's Men. Surprisingly I find this moves rather quick.

Afterwards read Silent Coup by Len Colodny, very interesting read.

I am reading Somebody Owes Me Money by Donald Westlake.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
H.P. Lovecraft

I have been dipping into the Tales by H.P. Lovecraft; primarily, because Lovecraft has been recommended by FL members on this thread.

As a general rule, Fiction/Horror is not my genre/category of choice. Therefore, my opinions should be discounted accordingly. I enjoyed Lovecraft’s fluid writing style, rich vocabulary, interesting lexicon and the weaving of his travels, mythology, ancient history, &/c. throughout the Tales. I also found his use of "nameless" narrators and, passive, but primary characters as narrators--very effective! However, having finished 2/3 of the Tales, I find them increasingly--predictable!

I am starting Spirit, Nature, and Community; Issues in the Thought of Simone Weil by Diogenes Allen and Eric Springsted. I trust and appreciate the scholarship of Dio Allen and, particularly, his extraordinary ability to reduce the “complicated” to something much more “approachable”. This is particularly valuable to a philosophy lay-reader, like me. John

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John Boyer said:
I have been dipping into the Tales by H.P. Lovecraft; primarily, because Lovecraft has been recommended by FL members on this thread.

As a general rule, Fiction/Horror is not by genre/category of choice. Therefore, my opinions should be discounted accordingly. I enjoyed Lovecraft’s fluid writing style, rich vocabulary, interesting lexicon and the weaving of his travels, mythology, ancient history, &/c. throughout the Tales. I also found his use of "nameless" narrators and, passive, but primary characters as narrators--very effective! However, having finished 2/3 of the Tales, I find them increasingly--predictable!

I love Lovecraft ... I've been a fan since I was an adolescent. Plus, he's from the Era.

Nighthawk said:
Do you also read Soldier of Fortune? Any opinions on it?

NH
Overdue reply: I don't read SOF, their general rep is mainly chest-thumping bravado and I'm looking for serious knowledge of how to secure a location or area. (I'm considering International Relations with focus on counterinsurgency and counterterror for a second Masters, once I finish the one in WWII Studies.)

Right now, Mas Ayoob's Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry--he talked me into that instead of replacing my 5th-edition copy of Book of Combat Handgunnery with a 6th; how many authors talk readers out of buying their books because they think something else is more suitable to the reader's needs?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
1 5th Ave

I've reserved this at my local lending library, i'm rather looking forward to getting my teeth into a good book, surely it will be a movie?....... then we can all cast our votes as to who plays who! ( I'm thinking Yoko in the Dakota building)

fifth_avenue_thumb.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
The Brontes of Haworth while I wait for my two weightier Bronte tomes to arrive.

"The human heart has hidden treasures. In secret kept,
in silence sealed. The thoughts, the hopes, the dreams,
the pleasures whose charm were broken if revealed."

Emily's always been my girl but Charlotte also catches my eye. :)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
...and I'm looking for serious knowledge of how to secure a location or area.

Harp said:
Pray. Seriously. :)

You don't need prayer. Just make your reservation early and give them a big enough deposit to hold the venue.

(I read that in an Air Force manual on "Securing a Location")

:p

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
That's lovely--I miss the poetry thread.

I'm with you on Emily--the fact that so little is known about her beyond her writings just ups the allure.

Odd tangent: I sat next to a girl in high school choir who looked exactly like George Richmond's drawing of Charlotte Bronte. I also know a woman who is the facial double for Sargent's Madame X. I guess this Art History major's brain is wired to see resemblence to works of art, eh?

To keep this on topic, I'm rereading one of my favorite books, Alternate Oscars. I wish there was an updated version--I'll have to check about that again.

Harp said:
"The human heart has hidden treasures. In secret kept,
in silence sealed. The thoughts, the hopes, the dreams,
the pleasures whose charm were broken if revealed."

Emily's always been my girl but Charlotte also catches my eye. :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
Did LizzieMaine write a book? lol

lol Not this one, though it sounds like she could have, and she might well agree with some of the conclusions. This one was written by Diana West.

The more I read of it, the more sense it makes. It may even offer insight into the ongoing discussions of why some women get catty with those gals who dress up/dress vintage....

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to hear about this--what's their theory?

Joie DeVive said:
It may even offer insight into the ongoing discussions of why some women get catty with those gals who dress up/dress vintage....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It sounds Diana West is a lady after my own heart -- I'm going to have to look this one up. (And thanks, Feraud, for the plug!)

I'm doing lightweight desperate-to-get-thru-winter reading these days -- just finished a very pleasant time-filler called "The Man Who Brought The Dodgers Back To Brooklyn," by David Ritz -- a comic novel about a corporate hustler who connives to do exactly that, to the amazement and delight of right-thinking people everywhere. Also figuring in the plot is the first female pitcher in the major leagues, a hard-throwing lefty who looks suspiciously like a twenty-year-old-girl version of Sandy Koufax. An entertaining tale that can be knocked off in less time than it takes to actually play a ball game these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads