Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Denton

A-List Customer
A song from the seemingly bottomless well of creativity of the Mississippi Sheiks, their associates, and their rivals.

While listening to this song yesterday, I started to wonder about the chorus. "Now look here, baby, you're going too fast, / The law gonna step on you." The title is "The Law Gonna Step on You," but Carter sings that line a bit differently. "You" isn't pronounced like the other instances of "you" in the song. What is he singing? "You all"? "Yuh"?

My best guess: it's "your." Carter is singing, "The law gonna step on your ass," without quite singing it. The code for "ass" is the emphatic phrase "yas, yas, yas," as in the line from Speckled Red's popular piano blues "The Dirty Dozens": "If you can't shake your shimmy, shake your yas, yas, yas."

I did a google search, and it appears that the obsessives at the country blues music forum "Weenie Campbell" solved this mystery back in 2008. God bless the internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth