Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Streaming WWOZ outt'a New Orleans

Early Jazz to contemporary Jazz, Zydeco, Funk, R&B, Robt. Johnson, Delta Blues, Mardi Gras Indian, Louis Prima, you never know what . . .

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Game 1 of the 1934 World Series, from Navin Field in Detroit, brought to you by "Henry Ford, Edsel Ford, and the Ford Motor Company." (I wonder what they thought of Hank Greenberg?)

The pre-game band goes from "The Stars and Stripes Forever" to "Smile Darn Ya Smile," which is probably the only time those two tunes have appeared on the same program.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Puss puss puss puss meat meat meat?

Has Anybody Seen Our Cat? - Burt Shephard, 1901. A Victor Monarch Record - on the "pre-dog" label, appropriately enough.

[YOUTUBE]1GrlMohi8G0[/YOUTUBE]
Skip to 1:50 to hear the platter. Before that, a brief curatorial address in a proper New England accent.

1291-1.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'm Dancin' on a Rainbow - Jerry Freeman & Ork, 1933. Put this one in the Sprightly Yet Punchy Instrumental category.
[youtube]l5wZm3AOMxg[/youtube]
I want Lizzie very much to try this one on the Strand audience as pre-show P.A. music. I'll pay the mechanicals.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
He did several other cuts on the same date (10/20/33) - guess this one just went over better instrumentally.

If you want the lyric, Bernie Cummins (actually brother Walter) does it here, at a tamer tempo. "And later in the evening I'll go and get the moon."

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Die Zauberflote, to help get my role in my head. So many words in a language I don't know yet. Why can't we stick to Italian?

Lillemor

One Too Many
So far

Jimmie Rodgers
Jussi Bjørling
Jo Stafford

I just noticed a J theme after i wrote their names. Subconscious. My name starts with a J as well and the two first letters are Jo. Strange morning...

I popped in the Max Raabe / Palast Orchestra 2 cd set of the Carnegie Hall Concert "Heute Nacht oder Nie" yesterday. I had spent a few days looking for the CD case after seeing some of the show as a PBS pledge drive program on channel 50 in LA about a week ago. The CD case was where I thought it was but the case on top obscured it.:eusa_doh: Anyway it's back in the play list.

I am so glad I got to see them at Royce Hall the last time they came thru LA. It was an awesome concert and the first time I had seen them. Everyone I took with still raves about how it was a perfect period show, and as performance art. Also how fantastic was the sound in the hall!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Yeps said:
Die Zauberflote, to help get my role in my head. So many words in a language I don't know yet. Why can't we stick to Italian?

Ein mann ermudet von Mozart ist mude von Leben, Yeps. ;)

...und viel gluck mit Ihre rolle. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld