Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Hi all! I haven't posted in awhile, but right now I am enjoying listening to a broadcast from 1944 on OTR. I think the air date is December 23rd 1944 and its talking mostly about the news from the front in Europe and Japan. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's Sunday night at eight, so the Chase & Sanborn Hour is on. It's the broadcast of 9/17/39, and Nelson Eddy, in his thundering light-opera baritone, is giving out with an extraordinary rendition of that legendary opus "Mammy's Little Baby Loves Sho'tnin' Bread." Let's see Tibbett top that.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
"Darling not without you"Artie Shaw and His Orchestra --

photo with his brief wife Lana Turner ...because back then ..that's how they did it those poor men LOL... in this case the marriage only lasted so long and not longer LOL...

song lasted much longer. "Darling Not Without You" 1937

[video=youtube;hTqKR_pcyX0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTqKR_pcyX0[/video]

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
more Shaw and this can't be love says Helen Forest...from Hotel Lincoln NYC 1939... it can not be I agree...

no sorrow no dizzy spell? no ...can't be love

[video=youtube;0v7y0c3j988]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v7y0c3j988[/video]

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Darling not without you"Artie Shaw and His Orchestra --

photo with his brief wife Lana Turner ...because back then ..that's how they did it those poor men LOL... in this case the marriage only lasted so long and not longer LOL...

Mr. Shaw's wife, Lana Turner, looks very much like this actress ,
must be the hair coloring ! ;)

2cnfpkm.png

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
with Lana

with Ava

yes...with those two.... and only Heaven knows how many more LOL ..........hey the man got around LOL ....

what do you want..he was easy on the eye...

and the ear

:D

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Artie Shaw and Helen Forrest say good night!!!! from a past dimension :D

They Say (1938)

[video=youtube;SyQezXrB9gU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyQezXrB9gU[/video]

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
10AM on a Monday means Tom Breneman's "Breakfast In Hollywood," a program which was considered, in its time, the worst kind of stupid, pointless trash -- Breneman, a jolly MC type who seems far too fond of his own limp jokes, roams around among the patrons of his Hollywood restaurant and interviews the "ladies having breakfast" for half an hour. For added laughs he tries on their hats, which is hilarious to the live audience, but doesn't do much for we at home.

But listened to as an artifact, this becomes an absolutely fascinating window into the worlds of ordinary people of the Era -- these aren't performers or actors, but real people captured on the air for a few brief moments. The highlight is always when Breneman interviews the oldest person in the audience each day -- this particular broadcast features a ninetysomething woman born during the administration of Millard Fillmore, who tells Breneman she's lived in Southern California since the 1880s, and remembers when she arrived, Los Angeles was "just a dirty little place."

Edm1

Familiar Face
A coworker discovered I have a like for old radio shows and brought me 3 years worth of The Whistler. Working my way through these. Next is Suspense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe