Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Just finished listening to Talking Heads' 77, moving onto Byrne and Eno's Everything That Happens

You know why? Because I JUST MET DAVID BYRNE!!!!!! :D :eek:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
aw heck, I can't help it...

...more of that early 30s stuff that has me so hung up.
4044734089_821450bb27_o.png

Here's the Anson Weeks Orchestra, purveyors of what I call Live-Action Animation Music - elegant, high class stuff, but with that ten-ton tuba and plonk-a-chonk banjo beat that's guaranteed to send you googly-eyed, rubber-legged, and careening thru the streets on the back of a runaway milk-wagon horse.

You Little So-and-So, 1932 - Me Minus You, 1932 - You've Got Everything, 1933.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You shouldn't even be hearing this

The RCA Victor Electradisks are not your ordinary el cheapo 78 issues. Sure, this sounds like a straight ahead dance tune with a good beat. But just knowing about these platters puts you in a very weird little world indeed...a world of drab, squirrely men where the light of the outside world never shines and things like clothes and booze and, well, women, don't even exist.
Welcome to the Ghost World they don't make movies about.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VEzfogNFqOY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VEzfogNFqOY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to eat leftover cornbread by --

Now playing, Louis Armstrong and his Orchestra in 1931 with one of the definitive early versions of "Body And Soul." Satchmo of course on the vocal and trumpet solo, backed up by his mooing Lombardo-like sax section.

Next up, down we go to the Grill Room of the Hotel Taft for George Hall and his Orchestra, and his smooth 1934 recording of one of the great wish-the-Depression-was-over-already tunes, "When My Ship Comes In." In the vocal, the mention of "Paul Whiteman" is replaced by "George Hall," as the maestro himself gives out with a languid fiddle solo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe