Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

kittypackard

Familiar Face
Kaisha said:
The entire Jefferson Airplane discography. I'm in the mood for some psychedelia.
give 'white rabbit' a whirl for me, will ya? ;)

At the moment I'm listening the entire album of Jimmy Dorsey's "Contrasts." Recently upgraded from warbled cassette tape (had it since the age of 11) to a shiny new CD... and it still casts a woefully magic spell .... title track is particularly bewitching ....

kittypackard

Familiar Face
J.L. Picard said:
From the bottom of my heart, wherever you are on the planet, I hope you had a great week end...:)

I will finish the night with great friends, an Australian Port, a great cigar and playing in the back ground my old friend Bunny Berigan...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgxDGDAAaBw

P.

... sigh ... heavy sigh, actually ... nothing QUITE embodies the 30s like a Bunny Berigan trumpet. Thanks for the YouTube link--- just gorgeous.

(Suddenly has an urge to switch on 'can't get started' ... )

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wonder if it will ever stop raining by --

Now playing, Russ Columbo in 1931, singing Bing Crosby's theme song, "Where The Blue of the Night Meets The Gold of the Day." And as much as I think Bing was the finest male popular singer of the 20th Century, the Columbo version of this particular tune is better. Only thing missing is the whistling solo at the break.

Next up, Ruth Etting, and *her* theme song, "Shine On Harvest Moon." I'm sure Russ Columbo made a record of that, too, but I don't think I have it.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Shangas said:
I'm listening to an episode of "Rocky Fortune", starring Old Blue Eyes, the Chairman of the Board, Frankie Sinatra :)

I really like Rocky Fortune (a.k.a. Rocco Fortunato). It's too bad that Sinatra's success in From Here to Eternity spelled the end to the program (although who knows how much longer the show would have continued past 1953).

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
I really like Rocky Fortune (a.k.a. Rocco Fortunato). It's too bad that Sinatra's success in From Here to Eternity spelled the end to the program (although who knows how much longer the show would have continued past 1953).

Greetings Widebrim,

I am not familiar with Rocky Fortune. Can you give more info's ? :eek:

Thank you.:)

P.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
J.L. Picard said:
Greetings Widebrim,

I am not familiar with Rocky Fortune. Can you give more info's ? :eek:

Thank you.:)

P.

J.L.Picard,

Rocky Fortune was a radio program which ran from October 6, 1953 until March 30, 1954, producing only 25 episodes. It aired Tuesdays at 9:30 pm (Eastern) on NBC. Sinatra portrayed Rocky Fortune (real name Rocco Fortunato), who did "temp" jobs of various natures for the Gridley Employment Agency. His assignments always seemed to put him in the middle of crimes which he inevitably ended up solving. Most of the time, a young woman was involved, just to spice things up a bit. Fortune was quite a wise-cracker, and used a lot of the common "hep" or jazz slang of the time (one episode was even titled, "A Hepcat Kills the Canary"). Unfortunately, the show ended a week after Ole Blue Eyes won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in "From Here to Eternity."

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
J.L.Picard,

Rocky Fortune was a radio program which ran from October 6, 1953 until March 30, 1954, producing only 25 episodes. It aired Tuesdays at 9:30 pm (Eastern) on NBC. Sinatra portrayed Rocky Fortune (real name Rocco Fortunato), who did "temp" jobs of various natures for the Gridley Employment Agency. His assignments always seemed to put him in the middle of crimes which he inevitably ended up solving. Most of the time, a young woman was involved, just to spice things up a bit. Fortune was quite a wise-cracker, and used a lot of the common "hep" or jazz slang of the time (one episode was even titled, "A Hepcat Kills the Canary"). Unfortunately, the show ended a week after Ole Blue Eyes won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in "From Here to Eternity."

Thank you for the interesting information Widebrim. :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Quite correct, WideBrim.

Rocky Fortune was possibly one of the shortest-lived radio-series in the history of radio series. But they are fun to listen to, I'll give them that.

I am listening to Fatsy Watsy Waller and His Rhythm...

"Paswonky" (Rec. 1936).

Fats_Waller.jpg

"Come on, now! Latch on!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe