Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What’s a fair price for a good Cal jacket?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I saw this straight Cal on eBay and it’s my size. I also like the fur collar! But buying for it to be sent to UK has helfty duties and postage. Asking price is 625 USD plus like 120 shipping and duties.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25663445...dECUgLpTcK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What would you guys pay for a Cal of this condition?
After reviewing the newer pit to pit images, the jacket is in the 42-44 size range. The jacket looks like a 70-80's model to me. The price is a little in the expensive side. Is it ok to wait for such a jacket to show up in the Uk? Have you reached in to this forum to see if anyone is selling the straight zip in the UK? I love Cal's, but Al's are not bad either, for about 40% lower than Cals. Have you considered them before? I have never paid so much for a straight zip Cal. Before. Well, not that particular Cal model, LOL.

Last edited:
Isn’t that seller a TFLer?

Is there a label in the jacket? I’d pay that much if it was a red label. Anything else can likely be had for less. That said, it’s a beauty, with the collar etc etc. I totally understand the Cal allure too.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I saw this straight Cal on eBay and it’s my size. I also like the fur collar! But buying for it to be sent to UK has helfty duties and postage. Asking price is 625 USD plus like 120 shipping and duties.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25663445...dECUgLpTcK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

What would you guys pay for a Cal of this condition?

It's not unreasonable. Cal Leather is expensive new, $1500+.

This one is in good condition and a desirable size.

Cheap Cal is usually thrashed cracked, and dry rotted.

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
Thank you very much guys. Very helpful.

I’m not in a rush to buy one but want to start looking - on eBay, and on the Classified section here as well.

I thought I was fixed for life with my leather jackets already!! But then except my HWM my other jackets fit really trim at the hem which is what I really want - can’t squeeze in my Samurai monster size belt buckle! Also comes winter if I put on a fleece underneath (my cheap improvision for lack of a shearling jacket) the size 40 HWM pits get quite bulged up and the collar gets tight etc. This cal model/size caught my eyes as it’s quite wearable for civilian and appears to be very roomy for layering.

I’ll see if I can negotiate a lower price or just be patient and wait for one to show up in UK auction.

I also checked Cal website and they only make the double rider cross zip style for 1500-2000.

Al 916

One Too Many
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/cal-leather-straight-zip-chp-80-90s.115161/

FL only Fair price - shortly to go on the bay for 80% more

20230826_152207.jpg

Last edited:
For me the Cal in question is too high. I’ve had dozens of these and the best one I had cost me $375.
IMG_3342.jpeg
These two were under $100 a piece:
The later models like the one Al has with a plastic main zipper are worth considerably less IMO. They are great jackets no doubt and there’s plenty of them all over the place. They are anything but scarce.

Totally fair price for this beauty.
IMO the plastic YKK zippers are a massive detriment to value. It’s a $200-$250 jacket at most. Not trying to be a dick, but these details do matter. That’s the thing with Cal. The 70’s 80’s jacket varied quite a bit in quality, simply being a Cal doesn’t mean it’s a great jacket. I’ve had some really flimsy ones that felt like a Brooks.

Last edited:

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
For me the Cal in question is too high. I’ve had dozens of these and the best one I had cost me $375.
View attachment 647946 These two were under $100 a piece:
[/URL]
The later models like the one Al has with a plastic main zipper are worth considerably less IMO. They are great jackets no doubt and there’s plenty of them all over the place. They are anything but scarce.
Wow that’s amazing value?! Can I ask how much does it weigh? The eBay jacket I asked about weighs 7lb or just over 3kg.

Wow that’s amazing value?! Can I ask how much does it weigh? The eBay jacket I asked about weighs 7lb or just over 3kg.
The full rig was about 8lbs. The heaviest cal I had was closer to 9lbs. From the 50’s, I paid around $350 for it in 2012.
IMG_3343.jpeg

Sadly it was just too small. I haven’t pursued the style in a number of years. The new jackets look like shit to me. I wouldn’t pay the asking price.
The older the better.

Another label to consider is Al’s. Allegedly a former Cal employee. They are very nice. I paid the same $375 for this jacket. One of the nicest of its type I’ve handled.
IMG_2290.jpeg
IMG_2291.jpeg

Point being, these exist for less and shouldn’t cost what some sellers are asking. Not even close.

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
Thank you Ton this is much appreciated.

I did look at Al’s as well. The ones I can find on the bay look like cowhide to me. I somehow want horse or even goat.

What happened to the 9lb Cal? Guess you sold it! It may fetch twice the price ten years on!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Horsehide Cals are super-rare, if there are any at all. For horse you got to look at Cal's predecessor, Star Glove. Be prepared to pay north of a thousand for one.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Anything in the 7th pound range (with out belt and mouton) is an excellent Cal. The straight zips tent to weight a little less in my experience then the X zip ones. There were two gents from the forum that are selling excellent jackets here, did you see them? I had bad experiences with some descriptions of jackets in eBay. However, there are some treasures that sometimes pop up also. My first choice have always been red label Cals. Those were consistently solid but are also comand a well deserved higher price. In my view, Cals are tools for the motorcycle rider. They are hard to wear do to their weight. Lastly, good luck find a Cal in goat.

Last edited:

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
I took a good look at the eBay pics in my initial post - they do look very much like horsehide to me. What do you guys think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tex rider