Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

vintage68

Practically Family
Me too:D
IMAG0074-1-1.jpg

And a wild rag to boot! Don't worry about the looks you get in the UK, you'd get looks here in Nevada, which is a very western-oriented culture. So western in fact that this morning at Starbucks I noted a young man openly carrying a firearm in strong-side holster.

vintage68

Practically Family
Here's my latest hat:

IMG_0098.jpg

I have another in the works by the best hatter I'm acquainted with, Roy Jackson at Jaxonbilt Hats. He's making a reproduction of the hat worn by Everett Hitch in Appaloosa for me.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
:D

Wow. Nice to see some Europeans wearing American style hats. Good stuff.
I like western stuff. I even got a Winchester 1873 replica. And because it is just a replica, I learned that in Germany, a company made a Lever Action air gun! I have one and I like to shoot with it :D Can't have a real Winchester because of the laws in Portugal :(
resistol20x1.jpg

Can't see it very well… This is my other Resistol 20x Black Gold I use everyday.

The same is true for me. The hat in my avatar is my favorite. I'm also very fond of the Open Road as well as the more "cowboyish" westerns. I would imagine your western hats draw some looks in the U.K.
It draws more looks were it is unusual. I go to the beach with my Resistol Straw cowboy hat, everybody looks at me. I go to Lisbon or the supermarket everybody look at me. My avatar was when a friend got married. Everybody looking at me... I don't care what they though about me :)
I remember when I traveled to the UK, many people walking across me said "Hey cowboy". Even on supermarkets, kids often said "Mooooom it's a cowboy!" :) Me and my friends laugh a lot about it because one of my surnames is "Vaqueiro" that translated to English is… cowboy!

It sure does but I've learned to ignore them. I forget who said it but "what other people think of me is none of my business".
I learned this along time ago because my left arm is tattooed. Security following me on stores... I'm not the bad guy!

fmw

One Too Many
Excellent. Obviously, you are your own man and not terribly concerned with what others think. It is a good way to be.

Here's my latest hat:

IMG_0098.jpg

I have another in the works by the best hatter I'm acquainted with, Roy Jackson at Jaxonbilt Hats. He's making a reproduction of the hat worn by Everett Hitch in Appaloosa for me.

Very nice. Reminds me of my 1930s Stetson #1 quality... one of my favorite hats.

no1_stetson011811.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
vintage68: that's really nice looking! Is it also from Roy Jackson? I hear a lot of great things about his work and materials.

Alan: another beauty, and very similar-- love that jacket too!

Did anyone catch John Rich's cowboy hat that he fingerpainted and sold for $50,000 at a St. Jude's Children's Hospital charity auction last night on Celebrity Apprentice!?

vintage68

Practically Family
vintage68: that's really nice looking! Is it also from Roy Jackson? I hear a lot of great things about his work and materials.

Alan: another beauty, and very similar-- love that jacket too!

Did anyone catch John Rich's cowboy hat that he fingerpainted and sold for $50,000 at a St. Jude's Children's Hospital charity auction last night on Celebrity Apprentice!?

Yep, the hat I'm wearing in the pic is from Roy at Jaxonbilt. Excellent work and a pleasure to do business with.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Again, Bowlerman thanks for the pictures and details. I've gone ahead and ordered a hat from him. One more question though. How is the ribbon attached to the hat? It looks almost as though he uses glue in some of the auction images and I was wondering about this a bit.

Thanks,
Sam

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hi Sam--
Congratulations! I think you'll be satisfied. really good value. I looked over the ribbon, and I think it is mostly glued. There might be a hidden stitch or two, but not more than that.
Post pics when you get it!

fmw

One Too Many
The other evening I was watching a brief history of some turn of the century western gunslinger on the History channel. The actor that played him wore a boss of the plains hat with the brim pulled down slightly front and back. Imagine an austraian outback hat with a wide brim and no crown crease. It was a neat look. My question is, could I send one of my Westerns to a hatter and have it reblocked into a boss of the plains (flat brim and open crown) and would that achieve that kind of look? I'm guessing the crown might be on the tall side but what would your guess be?

casechopper

Bowlerman, is it glued to the body of the hat as well? Or just glued into the form of the bow?

FMW, a Boss of the Plains hat normally has a 4" brim and 4" open crown. Most modern western hats have much higher crowns than that and might look a little odd open crown. You'd probably have to have it reblocked and the brim trimmed down (depending on the starting brim width). The guy that bowlerman and I have purchased from on ebay quoted me $161 shipped for a 100% beaver Boss of the Plains. His ribbon work and sweatband may not be so good but at that price you could send the hat on to another hatter for a replacement sweatband and ribbon. Depending on how the quality is when I receive it I may be ordering some more hats from this guy.
Thanks,
Sam

danofarlington

The other evening I was watching a brief history of some turn of the century western gunslinger on the History channel. The actor that played him wore a boss of the plains hat with the brim pulled down slightly front and back. Imagine an austraian outback hat with a wide brim and no crown crease. It was a neat look. My question is, could I send one of my Westerns to a hatter and have it reblocked into a boss of the plains (flat brim and open crown) and would that achieve that kind of look? I'm guessing the crown might be on the tall side but what would your guess be?

Would you wear it? And where?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
That settles that. So how do i get hold of Mr. boss of the plains?

Knudsen Hats at Golden Gate Western Wear claims to have the most accurate Boss of The Plains block, I'm no expert on western hats, so I'll let you smart folks decide if the claim is in error or not:

http://knudsenhats.com/Hatdept/Bossoftheplains.html

They use a special 4x beaver blend fur that they get directly from Stetson, so they market it as "the only place in the world to get a genuine Stetson Boss of the Plains."

fmw

One Too Many
Knudsen Hats at Golden Gate Western Wear claims to have the most accurate Boss of The Plains block, I'm no expert on western hats, so I'll let you smart folks decide if the claim is in error or not:

http://knudsenhats.com/Hatdept/Bossoftheplains.html

They use a special 4x beaver blend fur that they get directly from Stetson, so they market it as "the only place in the world to get a genuine Stetson Boss of the Plains."

Hmmmm. That flat top makes it look like what the Amish wear. They are only about 25 miles east of me. I just can't imagine myself tooling down the highway in a black horse-drawn carriage. Maybe a 3 1/2" brim would do the trick. I'd have to stay away from black since that is Zorro's color. Knudsen has some 'splainin to do, however. The text of that page touts $149 for a 4X and the side bar wants $186 for the same thing. I'll email them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe