Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
You don't hear too much any more. In the early 90's they were quite popular and you saw the C1 brand all over the place. Min is from about 1990 during the last of my rodeo days. I got out at a young age because I didn't want to have the problems that all the other older rodeo cowboys had with their knees & backs.

Cheers!

Dan

msm007

One of the Regulars
You don't hear too much any more. In the early 90's they were quite popular and you saw the C1 brand all over the place. Min is from about 1990 during the last of my rodeo days. I got out at a young age because I didn't want to have the problems that all the other older rodeo cowboys had with their knees & backs.

Cheers!

Dan

I hear you there - health and well being are just about everything for a good living

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Bumping this thread for personal reference. I haven't seen many "gambler" hats around here on the Lounge, although there are many, many references to them. Here's one I found at Gentleman's Emporium. It is, however, a wool felt. Despite that, it's got a classic shape that I find very appealing.

I think I may purchase one to see how I like it, as it has many of the features of the custom hat that I'm slowly working out in my head.

That one should come with a derringer.

fmw

One Too Many
I have no idea what the model is. I bought it in 1965 at Shepler's in Houston for around $20. It is a 4X beaver Stetson.

stetson.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks. I think Stetson provided better bands back then than they do today.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bumping this thread for personal reference. I haven't seen many "gambler" hats around here on the Lounge, although there are many, many references to them. Here's one I found at Gentleman's Emporium. It is, however, a wool felt. Despite that, it's got a classic shape that I find very appealing.

I think I may purchase one to see how I like it, as it has many of the features of the custom hat that I'm slowly working out in my head.

Well Neo, I think you'll like the style and shape of the hat, but I think you'll regret buying anything in Wool.

I have a $60.00 Wool British Bush Hat (WW2 from What Price Glory), and I loved the shape until I wore it in the rain. Wool doesn't do much to repel rain, and then it shrinks. I kind of hate to blow the $20.00 to have Hatman Jack re-shape a $60.00 hat, especially when it will need it again anyway.

Just my $0.02

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender

If I were you I wouldn't waste my money on that hat. You could probably get a '70s vintage Stetson Gun Club or Stetson Derringer for less, and it would be a good quality hat. The brim finish and ribbonwork- heck, the whole thing, look to me like that isn't just a wool felt, but a bottom of the line wool felt. And it doesn't even have the defining feature of the so-called gambler hat, the brim curl. It just has a welt, probably because it needs it to have any kind of stability to the felt, and because the felt couldn't handle that kind of curl.

AzTex has a Riverboat Gambler you may want to reference in your work = http://www.aztexhats.com/products/62-Better-Western-Hats/1496-AzTex-Hats-Gambler-Felt-Hat/

Or this place may spark some ideas = http://www.riverjunction.com/Hats_c_82.html

Last edited:

Neophyte

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. I believe I was about to make a mistake, seeing as I had a spare Akubra Campdraft lying around. I did a little experimenting, and discovered two things:

(1.) This particular brim shape is the most complimentary to my features from a head-on perspective than any other shape of hat I've yet to encounter (including my fedoras!), and
(2.) There is hope yet for my Tawny Fawn CD, which hasn't seen any headtime since I purchased the LR and BGCD!

Still some work to do, as well as an application of water to set it, but here's what I've got so far:

CampdraftWesternCurl2.jpg
CampdraftWesternCurl1.jpg

I'm not trying to look menacing in these photos, but that sun in this winter air is really, REALLY bright!

Neophyte

Looks good Neo. I like it.

Jeff

Thank you sir!

It definitely needs a wider brim. The 2.875'' brim on the Campdrafts leaves much to be desired if you curl the brim, especially on a super-bright day like today. At the very least, the experiment has provided me with first-hand experience on how the brim shape I desire would look on me (which is the whole reason I was about to buy that wool Gambler). Overall I'd consider it a success! :D

Neophyte

You may want to look at a boss of the plains it look like a campdraft but has a wider brim.

Jeff

With the unshaped dome and flat brim, it would make a great "canvas" hat. That said, it is my back-up option if I can't find something more appealing. I'm looking for something evocative of the Old West, something traditional. It must at home in both the country and the city. A scaled-down BotP, similar to the one I posted a while ago to bump this thread (the one from Clearwater Hats), may be just the thing.

I've got time to think about it, though. It won't be until sometime in January or early February before I can put my money where my mouth is lol.

Neophyte

And a higher crown if memory serves.

Later

Traditional Boss of the Plains hats seemed to have 4''-4.5'' and a 4'' flat brim with bound edge. That said, there is a PLETHORA of variations. The original hat itself is pretty plain, but can be molded and personalized quite easily.

Here's an example of a very traditional BotP:

1800s_Boss_of_the_plains_5.jpg

Similar hats can be found in those pics I posted a few pages back, in the group photos of the 49ers organization.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe