Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

MarkD

One of the Regulars
It's hard to find just the right occasion to wear a buffalo overcoat

It's not the thing to wear to a chamber of commerce coffee most places ... especially not if you've been out in the rain or snow

It would be fun to wear one to WalMart, though

Sam

lollol

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte,
Looks like your BOP western hat works with dress clothes as well. Seems it was popular with the "movers & shakers" back in the early part of the 20th century as shown by these pics from the Old Picture site:

Honorable-Charles-Booker-0021.jpg

Josephus-Daniels-Hat-In1.jpg

:)

msm007

One of the Regulars
Neophyte,
Looks like your BOP western hat works with dress clothes as well. Seems it was popular with the "movers & shakers" back in the early part of the 20th century as shown by these pics from the Old Picture site:

Honorable-Charles-Booker-0021.jpg

Josephus-Daniels-Hat-In1.jpg

:)

That last photo is really nice, thanks.

can I call this a "western" ?

IMG_4880.JPG

IMG_4882.JPG

ok.. I know that this stratton is technically it is some type of law enforcement hat, but do you guys on here think it would fall under the western or western dress category? I was going to wear it to the Brad Paisley concert last night but it was veto'd by the wife because it wasn't a real western. so I was just wandering your guy's opinion.

also on a side note, any idea what model he wears? it looks like some type of white stetson

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since when were the struggles of law enforcement not one of the major themes of the old West? :).

Besides, Stratton's web page says they own Winchester Hat Corporation, where Major Moore tells us most, if not all, Western hatters get their felt bodies. I'd say it's close enough if not dead-on!

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
From the hieght of the crown to the width of the brim to the Cattleman (US) crease it's ALL Western. The chincord grommets are the only thing non western about it and that is only because it was made to sell as a uniform hat. Cut the brim down a bit, loose the grommets and vent eylets and put a thin ribbon on it and you have a Open Road which is a Western hat. ( some here DON'T consider an OR as such but many do :) )

DRB

One Too Many
RobFedoraField ,I would not call that a western, I would call that a beautifully colored western! You could always buy the cords that go through the brim if you wanted to make it even more western. I think that is one of your better looking hats. I really like it. It fits you well.

majormoore

Vendor
Yes they own Winchester, but on side note on the hat bodies, Winchester makes a thicker staple body with alot of stiffner in it for Strattons hats, the reason is the police, park rangers and others want the heavy , thicker hat, to hold its shape longer and up to the elements and what ever the hats have to take. On the Goverment hats, I have been told they tell Startton how much stiffner they want in the hats and how many oz. of fur ( rabbit) they need. ..

Major Moore
Since when were the struggles of law enforcement not one of the major themes of the old West? :).

Besides, Stratton's web page says they own Winchester Hat Corporation, where Major Moore tells us most, if not all, Western hatters get their felt bodies. I'd say it's close enough if not dead-on!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Wow! Talk about specific lol!

Oh, and :arated: on DRB's comment.

That's not really all that special :) ALL Govt. contract work has explicitly written specifications as to materials, hardware, performance specs etc. for just about ANY item bought under public contract or bid. I've had to deal with them all the time when my firm has gotten a Public/Govt. funded job. Makes life interesting :)

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Just won this Reistol Straw on Ebay it's old school and in great shape.
Restonfront.jpg

Restonside.jpg

Restfront.jpg

Restback.jpg

Restside.jpg

Restband.jpg

The best part is that it is identical to one that I had in college back in 1984 the band is even almost the same. The old one has the Truck bend so that you could wear it in a pickup and not have the back smack the back window. I loved that hat but as all straws they die at some point if worn enough.
MeandBart.jpg

So what do ya think

Jeff

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Haven't seen a "drugstore cowboy" hat since the last time I was in Gilley's down in Houston in the '80s :) Only saw those on the heads of "drugstore cowboys" on Saturday night back then :) That one's in good shape and looks like it never went "honkey tonkin" :) I never had one, but I didn't go "honkey-tonkin" that much. Nice example of the Western excesses of that time :)

Chinaski

One Too Many
Neophyte, those are some pretty cool pictures. Those old Death Valley 49'er codgers were certainly a hat wearin' bunch! Almost nary an unhatted head in the group, but I can attest the sun is blazing in DV.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neophyte, those are some pretty cool pictures. Those old Death Valley 49'er codgers were certainly a hat wearin' bunch! Almost nary an unhatted head in the group, but I can attest the sun is blazing in DV.

Thanks! I had simply been on Wikipedia, looking up the chemical properties of gold. Somehow I got to the page about the 49er's (d*mn blue links! lol), and I looked around the site. I thought it was so cool how these guys paid tribute to the original '49ers.

Needless to say, when I found the hat page, I absolutely knew I'd have to share it :).

msm007

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I had simply been on Wikipedia, looking up the chemical properties of gold. Somehow I got to the page about the 49er's (d*mn blue links! lol), and I looked around the site. I thought it was so cool how these guys paid tribute to the original '49ers.

Needless to say, when I found the hat page, I absolutely knew I'd have to share it :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe