Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a fez

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
JPH said:
Why, into battle, of course.

2145235.jpg

Joseph
Technically, zouaves wear what are called chechias, but it's the same concept

Maaaan, I've wanted to go out for halloween as a Zouave for years now. Buying the costume/having one made is a touch pricey for one night of shennanigans, though.

when Mustafa Kemal Ataturk banned fez wearing as a national past time in Republican Turkey c 1920s-30s.
That guy eradicated just about everything that had anything to do with Turkish(Ottoman) culture up to that point in time. I don't know if it is on account of those efforts, or from the western stereotype of 'Turkey = Fezes' that my Turkish friend finds Fez wearing to be ridiculous. (Maybe he just doesn't want us silly white people stealing from his culture, I dunno. :p)

jwalls

Vendor
A FEZ OF THE HEART

A Fez of the Heart by Jeremy Seal, gives the reader a fascinating look a the fez and its place in Turkish culture.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
They go well with bowties.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bvWYw0CnuSI&amp;hl=it_IT&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bvWYw0CnuSI&amp;hl=it_IT&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BioSWCEPDps&amp;hl=it_IT&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BioSWCEPDps&amp;hl=it_IT&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hargist said:
Does anyone know the proper way to wear a fez? A friend just gave me one and upon inspection I noticed a seam where the felt joins on the outside of the hat. The tassel is pinned down in such a way that it naturally falls in front of the seam, thereby hiding it.

Since I can wear it any way I want on my head (there is nothing inside the hat to tell me which part is the back), where should the tassel be located? On the left, right, or does it matter?
It may depend on whether you have a fuzzy fez or a fleecy fez. A fleecy fez worn by floozies would foster fizzy behavior in the presence of Alka Seltzer and water. My recommendation is to forget both fleecy and fuzzy fezes in favor of flat fezes which are more manageable when foraging for fodder.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
!

danofarlington said:
It may depend on whether you have a fuzzy fez or a fleecy fez. A fleecy fez worn by floozies would foster fizzy behavior in the presence of Alka Seltzer and water. My recommendation is to forget both fleecy and fuzzy fezes in favor of flat fezes which are more manageable when foraging for fodder.

Fabulously Fantastic!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
hargist said:
Pictures I've seen also have the tassel forward, but I wonder if it matters on which side it hangs (left or right). Maybe it doesn't. It just seems like the kind of thing that might have some hidden meaning to the uninitiated.
Maybe it depends on whether you're single or married, like the flower in the hair?

Just kidding really.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
HodgePodge said:
Maaaan, I've wanted to go out for halloween as a Zouave for years now. Buying the costume/having one made is a touch pricey for one night of shennanigans, though.

That guy eradicated just about everything that had anything to do with Turkish(Ottoman) culture up to that point in time. I don't know if it is on account of those efforts, or from the western stereotype of 'Turkey = Fezes' that my Turkish friend finds Fez wearing to be ridiculous. (Maybe he just doesn't want us silly white people stealing from his culture, I dunno. :p)

If you want a Zouave fez or chechia at a reasonable prize you must search for an italian Bersaglieri (light infantry) fez.
Bersaglieri are still wearing fez as a (believe it or not) fatigue head-dress of sort.

http://www.ildistintivo.it/img_ecommerce/432008fez bersagliere.jpg

Obviously pre-unitarian italian States had Zouave troops wearing fezzes; while Bersaglieri started doing so in Crimea.

In WWI Arditi (italian stromtroopers, including my grand-grandftaher's brother) chose black fezzes as head-dress.

After the war, fascists ( :( ) took the "heroic" black fez as one of their symbols; they wore not only soft "chechias" but also real rigid fezzes, adorned with fascist ( :( ) regalia.

Ciao!

Panache

A-List Customer
Twitch said:
Ok,ok. My dumb question was about where do you wear a fez in public in the US or a non-fez country besdes a Masonic function. Hey I can get by going about in a fedora with no comments or stares, but a fez?:eusa_doh:

How about to a Formal Highland Ball?

dance1.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

Panache

A-List Customer
hatophile said:
Och! Mon!

Would that not be heresy to not wear your balmoral or glengarry then?

They were given to us as gifts at the Ball. By odd coincidence they matched our outfits perfectly. It was an older crowd of Ladies and Gentlemen attending the ball but those folks knew how to dance and have a great time. So my bride and I donned our Fez (fezes? fezi?) and hit the floor. Everyone smiled (though there were a few "Scottish Shriners?" comments.)

Cheers

Jamie

Actually, I like the look. I would not be an expert on Highland dress, although all 5 of my brothers-in-law are bagpipers. I have seen some interesting hat/kilt combinations at various Highland Festivals. By the way, someone wore cowboy boots with a kilt to our wedding.

Slainte

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Look at this beauty:
PF03101.JPG

I can see myself wearing this and my smoking jacket while hosting a dinner party in my home. Not something I would wear out in public or as a guest in someone else's home. Being, as I am, trapped in the 19th Century, tradition holds that this is strictly "at home" attire.

These popped up when I did an eBay search for "fez," together with a large number of the more familiar "Shriner" type. I wonder, Is this actually a fez, or does this particular headgear have another name?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Wolfmanjack said:
Look at this beauty:
PF03101.JPG

I can see myself wearing this and my smoking jacket while hosting a dinner party in my home. Not something I would wear out in public or as a guest in someone else's home. Being, as I am, trapped in the 19th Century, tradition holds that this is strictly "at home" attire.

These popped up when I did an eBay search for "fez," together with a large number of the more familiar "Shriner" type. I wonder, Is this actually a fez, or does this particular headgear have another name?

Smoking Cap.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, smoking cap. I actually have one the same, in navy.... not sure where I picked it up. Lives at my folks house and gets worn when I visit them in Winter.... To the best of my knowledge, the 'upturned flowerpot' shape and rigidity are the hallmarks of a true Fez.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I've been looking high and low for a good and proper fez hat on the market. Not the costume flimsy things that will lose their shape in short order, but the wicker lined ones that are not too tall and have a leather sweatband.
Sort of looks like what this Turkish gentleman has with his worry beads.
pd2816236.jpg

So, does anyone here know the path to being able to procure a good one at a reasonable price?

Cheers!

Dan

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I asked a friend who was visiting family in Lebanon to see if he could buy one for me. In the end, he took a taxi to Syria (seriously, he took a taxi to Syria!) and came back with one for me. It appears that the Levantine head is small. It sits on the top of my 7 3/4 noggin like Stan Laurel's derby. It does have a leather sweat, and it is lined with wicker, so they can be had. How big is your head?

You might try these guys.

http://www.dturin.com/default.aspx

I don't know that they have what you want, but they might.

Many a custom hatter has blocks that would replicate the look of that fez in the photo. You know, pretty much straight-sided, square shoulders, nearly flat top. It can be done. All it would take is money. And just think of how easy it would be to flange it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe