Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

watch out for hatsupply.com

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
majormoore said:
I would like too, but saw a few weeks ago that the owner of the site here, came down hard on a few hatters for maybe doing that.

Don't want to get in trouble around here.

Mike

Mike I believe that you could post them in the merchants section. If not there I am sure no one would mind if you posted in the classified section, either way good luck.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Major Moore....

ledsled said:
What an interesting thread... taking several twists and turns, but coming back to the original topic.

Joel, good luck resolving this matter. Once you put the charge in dispute, I think that will put an abrupt end to the financial saga. If you have any further follow-up tales, please come back and share them.

MajorMoore: Good for you! :eusa_clap When you have a chance, please post pictures (or links to pictures) of your work.

Here you go....:) :eusa_clap :)

http://www.buckaroohatters.com/

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BegintheBeguine said:
"My dad even had us answer the telephone "Black residence". I still do.

My parents taught me the same thing. When someone calls, you give a name. When I call a parishoner, or answer the phone at church I always say who I am and ask how I can help, before anything else. It is the essence of any kind of good business or public interaction.

dean

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Five Guys, the best hamburger chain on the East Coast, has a great little sign posted in all their restaurants:

You, the customer, are the most important visitor on our premises. You are not dependent on us, we are dependent on you. You are not an outsider in our business -- you are part of it. We are not doing you a favor by serving you ... you are doing us a favor by giving us the opportunity to do so.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I've been on both sides of the counter. During one 2 year stint working at Lowes, I discovered that sometimes a customer comes in primed for a fight, even before you open your mouth, and according to the Lowes customer policy at the time, they were ALWAYS right.

I worked in the appliance section, and one day I had a man steam into the department wanting a clothes dryer. Before I could say a word, he began a tirade that he did NOT want to be shown the highest end, most expensive model we had on the floor. He did NOT want to hear one word about an extended warranty contract...he did NOT want to hear blah blah blah blah....he ONLY wanted to see the cheapest priced clothes dryer we had to sell, and for me not to open my blanky blank mouth with anything BUT that information!:mad:

I smiled through this rant (needless to say, he drew quite a bit of interest from passing customers as he was 'dressing me down'), and I told him to follow me. We walked out of the appliance section...past plumbing, and into hardware. Halfway down the hardware aisle I stopped and pointed out at a display of clothes line.

I said 'Sir, this is the lowest priced clothes dryer we sell, and you have your choice of length."

After he stood there in stunned silence for a moment, I proceeded to tell him I was NOT on commission at Lowes, that I didn't CARE if he bought a warranty, and did NOT appreciate the way he had come at me when I was only there to help him, and if he didn't like it, the manager was right this way.

He stood there for a few more seconds, grinned, and said....'Let's start over...."

He purchased 3 dryers from us that day, as he was outfitting a new rental unit he owned. He came back several more times and purchased other items, and asked for me everytime.lol

Yep, not sure why folks seem to think it's ok to blast someone trying to help, but then again, that was just ONE of those odd experiences I had when in retail.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
In the mood he was in, personally I'm glad he didn't throw a punch![huh] ;)

One more quick story....same aisle, same product, but this time it really WAS for clothes line. Nice little old lady type. I asked 'Mam, how long to you want it?", as we had everything from 10 foot lengths to 40 foot lengths.

She looked a bit surprised, and said 'Young man, I want it for at LEAST 10 years or more!":eusa_doh:

True story.

Regards! Michaelson

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BegintheBeguine said:
Good job, Mike. Now why didn't these ladies' parents teach them to state their name whenever calling someone on the telephone? To someone I know, "This is Ashley, may I speak to Van?" To someone I may not or don't know, "My name is Ashley Black. I'd like to etc." There. No confusion. :) :) My dad even had us answer the telephone "Black residence". I still do.

I used to be surprised at how many new staff at the office knew relatively nothing about answering a phone in a business environment. "Good morning <company name>. This is <your name> - how may I help you?" Or they'd be dealling with someone at the counter, a call comes in and they would deal with the phone caller's problem before returning to a usually steaming person at the counter. Even to people who know my voice, I always say, "Hi Bob - it's Mike <last name or not depending on how well I know the person> and I'm calling because..."

The other one that fries me is people who don't leave their number when they call. Family & close friends is one thing - I'm talking more casual acquaintences where you then have to look up the number before you call them back. Or they rip through their number at break-neck speed, so you've got to play back an entire minute-long phone message more than once to get the number. For the Speed Racers at the office, I had them write down our number as they repeated it back. If you do it as you write it down, you'll learn what the right speed is on leaving the messages. And repeat the number at least twice on the message.

Pet peeve: A person calls me on the phone and the first thing out of his mouth, right after I say "Hello," is "Who's this?" Almost as annoying is, "Is this Mr. (Whoever)?"
When someone calls me, I expect that person to disclose his own identity before he asks for mine.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Joel Tunnah said:
Whether I was the biggest jerk ever on the phone or not makes no difference. She has both the merchandise, AND my money! How can I be "wrong" in this scenario?
I had a similar experience with US Wings, and will never do business with them again. They took back the merchandise, acknowledged that they had, and still never refunded my money. After numerous phone calls, e-mails, and finally letters, they never did give me a refund, and they have lost a customer forever. Not only that, I will never miss an opportunity to tell that story, and add that I returned the merchandise in question because of the poor quality to begin with (their infamous Manuel Noriega "crush" cap).

On the other hand, I've dealt with Jerry at What Price Glory on many occasions. He is gruff and doesn't suffer fools well, but he always stands behind his stuff and fills and/or refunds orders quickly. Whether or not he is willing to chew the fat with me when I call him is a lot less important to me than getting what I ordered, being happy with it, and getting a prompt refund if I'm not. That keeps me coming back to him.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
RBH said:
:eek:fftopic:
hey bud- love your avatar,
what hat is it?
:eek:fftopic:
This is a Adam Executive, Thanks

MVC-423F-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members