Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage things that have REAPPEARED in your lifetime?

The mercury touched 90 this afternoon when I went to fetch some takeout. For the first time since I can’t remember when I witnessed people — a pair of young men, in this case — riding in the bed of a pickup truck.

I looked into it and learned that in this state riding in the bed of a truck is legal provided the tailgate is closed and the bed is enclosed on all sides. So, no flatbeds, although it would seem a stakebed would pass muster.

I wouldn’t recommend it, but then, like lots of stuff I wouldn’t recommend, it sure can be fun. It’s among the many hazardous practices I‘ve somehow survived.

Knowing of its legality, I’m a bit surprised I don’t see it more often. I’d imagine it’s a more common sight in truly rural areas, where pickups get used routinely as actual work vehicles and where the traffic is generally slower and the roads less crowded.

(By the way, the laws vary from state to state, so before you load up the posse in the back of your F-150 you may wish to check the laws where you live.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jbain75