Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I hate that license plates have become a marketing device for routined self-expression instead of a simple means of identifying the owner of a vehicle. I have resented all my life that I have to display a plate labled "Vacationland," when I can barely afford to live here, but it really irritates me that there are no so many "affinity" plate variations going around that I have to look twice to figure out if the guy who just cut me off is a local or a Masshole.

The lovely missus insists the van wears an “Adopt a Shelter Pet” affinity plate. It costs an extra 30 or 40 bucks or something like that on renewing the registration every year, with the additional proceeds allegedly going to animal shelters, etc.

I wouldn’t do that if it were left up to me, but it isn’t and I don’t find the message objectionable, which is more than I can say for many of the other affinity plates available.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I can't imagine how a cop works out where the license is FROM. Oklahoma has more than 5 tribes with separate licenses, 5 armed services, and several others. Kansas had plates for the different colleges also.

Later

Injector razors.

I was reminded of this while watching video clips of TV ads from the 1960s. I have dim memories of using such a setup in my early shaving days, but I have no recollection of seeing one in at least 50 years.

A little reading up on the matter indicates that Col. Jacob Schick was inspired by the action of WWI firearms. The “magazine repeating razor” appeared in 1925.

It turns out that the company carrying Schick’s name still makes injector razors and blades. They’re easily found online but it’s doubtful you’d find ’em at your local supermarket.

CD-sections in electronic chain stores are actually disappearing step by step.
I’ve found CD’s to be overall the best of the “hard” media. I have a console stereo with a phonograph and plugged into it and another tuner/amp a cassette deck and a 5-disc CD changer. I’m no audiophile, but I appreciate the cleanliness of CD’s and that playing them does nothing to degrade them. Can’t say that for tapes and LP’s.

I can’t remember what I paid for my CD changer, seeing how I bought it at a thrift store several years ago for an inconsequential sum. Must’ve been something like 20 bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1