Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Lizzie you should read J. B. Priestley's description of daily newspapers in pre WW1 England. Very much like your description of popular magazines of the past, in spades.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Payphones! Well, they have not entirely disappeared, but, they have dropped from an all time high of 2.2 million in the U.S. in 1998, to only 243,487 in December of 2012.

And remember the choice and convenient locations where pay phones were usually found? :p

182-mojave-phone-booth.jpg

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I've been wondering, how does one call a tow truck if they don't have a cell phone these days? I might be wrong, but there really aren't many call boxes anymore, and there are very few phone booths.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Don't knock it too bad. Friend from high school owned a Geo while he was in college. Flipped it once up on a snow bank (no damage).

Thought when the thing got 350 miles on it, "It's on its last legs." Sold it for $500.

The girl he sold it to made 6 round trips a year to Chicago and back from NYC for three years until the damned thing died- and didn't stick a penny in it except for gas. ETA: I think the girl got $300 for scraping it.

I always thought that was the deal of the century. My $500 car never did that well.

Last edited:
Don't knock it too bad. Friend from high school owned a Geo while he was in college. Flipped it once up on a snow bank (no damage).

Thought when the thing got 350 miles on it, "It's on its last legs." Sold it for $500.

The girl he sold it to made 6 round trips a year to Chicago and back from NYC for three years until the damned thing died- and didn't stick a penny in it except for gas. ETA: I think the girl got $300 for scraping it.

I always thought that was the deal of the century. My $500 car never did that well.

My $900 car certain has. :p Then again, if you are going to buy a cheap car, make sure it is a used luxury car. :p

buelligan

One of the Regulars
When I was in high school there was a yugo that someone had converted into a limousine, not sure why because if I remember right it was just someones private vehicle. Probably just a few guys in the garage with a few to many beers, a couple of junk cars and some welders.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Back when Yugos were new, one of my radio co-workers owned one. One night he left the keys in it and it was stolen out of his driveway. Before it got off the street, it caught on fire, and the thief left the smoking wreckage at the corner.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg