Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Kassia

One of the Regulars
donCarlos said:
I had them, my cousins had them, nearly everyone I know had them (even recently). Varicella (small-pox) is not so dangerous when the patient is young, plus it gives you immunity.

To the topic - I can hardly thing if anything really vintage dissapeared during my short life. I haven´t seen the siphon bottles for ages, as well as the CO2-powered bottles for making whipped cream.

I know this is controversial but there are still many people who belive that vaccinating your kids is bad.. There is a huge, and growing group of people who beleive that vaccinations cause Autism..

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Either way....recreational use of something that -is- by default not -harmless- without the supervision that a medical office provides...

and seriously...we are reduced to discussing whipped cream N02 street drug usage...:eek:

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Either way....recreational use of something that -is- by default not -harmless- without the supervision that a medical office provides...

and seriously...we are reduced to discussing whipped cream N02 street drug usage...:eek:

Sadly anything can be abused... Glue comes to mind.. But i do think that that is in the minory of people... And i know kids that still eat paste.. Altho it uis not harmful to you, it's still gross..

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Kassia said:
Sadly anything can be abused... Glue comes to mind.. But i do think that that is in the minory of people... And i know kids that still eat paste.. Altho it uis not harmful to you, it's still gross..

Actually, to buy certain glues (especially the spray adhesive kind) I've had cashiers ask me my age before! :eek: Just sick...

There's another one for you - homemade paste. Certainly not used much anymore!

Kassia

One of the Regulars
ShoreRoadLady said:
Actually, to buy certain glues (especially the spray adhesive kind) I've had cashiers ask me my age before! :eek: Just sick...

There's another one for you - homemade paste. Certainly not used much anymore!

It's on the dangerous list along with Sudafed?

Sunny

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Buy your stamps from a vending machine -- they still sell the gummed ones from rolls there.

I have a bunch of old 1/2 cent stamps in my desk drawer -- they date back to when it was my grandfather's desk, and I've never actually cleaned the drawer out -- and I'm sorely tempted to see if the gum tasted the same then...

Uh... they probably won't have much taste at all. Which means that won't stick very well...

~ one who knows :eek: :D

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
When's the last time anyone used an interoffice envelope?
interoffice_envelope.jpg

LOL!!! I had to laugh at this....I work at a university and I go through at least 3-4 of these envelopes a day, sending things back and forth between my office and the human resources department which is in another building.

So, the last time I used one of these was approx. 5 minutes ago.... lol

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Well, there were two different types of machine, actually -- the mimeograph and the "spirit duplicator." The mimeograph forced the ink thru lettering cut in the stencil by typing on it without a ribbon, while the spirit duplicator -- commonly called a "Ditto machine" -- used a sort of offset-printing system where the back of the master had a colored waxy coating that would be transferred to the paper after being dampened by a wick saturated with a very pleasent smelling solvent. A *very* pleasant smelling solvent, as those of us who volunteered to operate these machines in school can well attest...

I remember that smell very well.....when I was in the 1st through about 4th grade (late 70's early 80's) my school still made all copies that way. I would pick up the paper and just inhale....ahhhh.

When I was doing my student teaching in college in 1997 (back when I was still going to be a teacher, lol), one of the schools I was at suggested I learn how to use the "ditto machine", for they said if I got a job in some rural small disctrict I'd more than likely have nothing else to use. I'm sure that's no longer the case.

DerMann

Practically Family
Gingerella72 said:
LOL!!! I had to laugh at this....I work at a university and I go through at least 3-4 of these envelopes a day, sending things back and forth between my office and the human resources department which is in another building.

So, the last time I used one of these was approx. 5 minutes ago.... lol

When I worked at the public library, pay cheques and important documents (W4s and the like) were sent via those envelopes.

My mom uses them as well in her office (she works for an airline in downtown Houston).

So yeah, they haven't disappeared at all.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
DerMann said:
When I worked at the public library, pay cheques and important documents (W4s and the like) were sent via those envelopes.
So yeah, they haven't disappeared at all.

Paychecks? On paper? What a novel idea!! Almost everyone i know, that works, gets payed electronically now... No more haveing to take the check to the bank to deposit it... Even my parents pension checks go right in to the bank account..

Direct Deposit

Kassia said:
Almost everyone i know, that works, gets payed electronically now...

I think that here in Southern California, small businesses with small payrolls get raked over the coals if they try to get direct deposit set up. I haven't had it offered since the early 90's.

Rachael

A-List Customer
very true. when I worked in corporate land there was direct deposit. but now I work for a company with fewer than 50 employees, and the checks come in the mail.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I get to hand out the paychecks personally -- the eagle flies every other Monday, and I'm never more popular with my co-workers.

I did have direct deposit, a long time ago in one of my writing jobs, but the bank charged me $12 every payday for the privilege, and that got old real fast.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
I get to hand out the paychecks personally -- the eagle flies every other Monday, and I'm never more popular with my co-workers.

I did have direct deposit, a long time ago in one of my writing jobs, but the bank charged me $12 every payday for the privilege, and that got old real fast.

The bank charge you? They should have been charging the company, imho...
Yes, even back in the late 80's my dh had direct deposit.. He has worked for big companies and thats the only way we've every had it...

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Rachael said:
very true. when I worked in corporate land there was direct deposit. but now I work for a company with fewer than 50 employees, and the checks come in the mail.

Ekkkk your company trusts the postal service with your checks??/
That scares the heck out of me...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
Professionally hand-painted signs.

I miss those terribly. The theatre where I work once had a big painted ad for the "Fireproof Garage" on one side, and I've been trying for two years to convince people it ought to be repainted. But modern "downtown beautification" codes forbid it.

My own favorite relic of the wall-dog's art, from Lewiston, Maine:

192564605_6e55fcec76.jpg

LizzieMaine said:
I miss those terribly. The theatre where I work once had a big painted ad for the "Fireproof Garage" on one side, and I've been trying for two years to convince people it ought to be repainted. But modern "downtown beautification" codes forbid it.

My own favorite relic of the wall-dog's art, from Lewiston, Maine:

192564605_6e55fcec76.jpg

Some years ago while headed for home after work thru South LA I saw an old liquor store that was going to be repainted. The many layers of paint was taken off the side of the building to reveal an old painted 7Up sign that was about 10x10' with the old square 7up logo. It was in pretty good shape and I saw it for a few days til they painted over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally