Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sleepwear

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'll start. Here is my one and only vintage nightwear piece: a peach silk satin and lace 1930s nightgown, with a curved front waist seaming. Found at a SF vintage clothing show.

I just looked at the inside finishing of the side seams. They are pinked not just cut. That may indicate it was made in the 1940s, not the 1930s as I originally thought. It had two silk satin flat bows where the straps hit the horizontal bodice section (one each side), but they were shredding from age so I removed them. If I can find the right color of ribbon I may replace them. The back neckline is a simple deep v, all in silk satin. The wide lace straps end at the shoulder line.

My teenage daughter has one deco era vintage nightgown also. Found hers on evilBay. Hers is a lovely soft aqua/blue. I'll have to get a picture taken to post.

387257804.jpg

387257833.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I wear my hubby's old boxers and old 90s band t-shirts to sleep in. And my bra -- can't sleep without support!! :D

But so that image won't be ingrained in anyone's brain, here is Carole Lombard wearing some cute jim-jams:

4480592428_0d94a50062_o.jpg

And Norma Shearer in some jammies (or jammie-likes!):

4463575858_ab38d1fb2e_o.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Amy Jeanne said:
I wear my hubby's old boxers and old 90s band t-shirts to sleep in. And my bra -- can't sleep without support!! :D

But so that image won't be ingrained in anyone's brain, here is Carole Lombard wearing some cute jim-jams:

As a flannel-sleepwear-wearer myself, I *love* this shot. Obviously she's making sure she has fresh eggs for breakfast.

My favorite vintage-sleepwear would have to be the hostess pajamas Bebe Daniels wears while performing "You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me" in "42nd Street" -- if I could find a pair of those, I might be inclined to give up the flannel.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
JoAnn's carries a flannel-backed satin that is perfect for winter. I bought some to make jammies from a 30s pattern, but now it's too warm for them.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
chanteuseCarey said:
My teenage daughter has one deco era vintage nightgown also. Found hers on evilBay. Hers is a lovely soft aqua/blue. I'll have to get a picture taken to post.

Honestly, you probably do not want to do that....

Internet + pictures of a young girl in sleepwear.........just asking for them to be looked at in the -wrong- way....

Must remember, just because you feel -safe- here, does not mean there are not lurkers around erm looking...

13 thousand members...and -how- many post? You have no idea -who- those other 10k -are-

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What Neecerie said. Just because we have some well-disciplined gentlemen here doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful, especially where younger gals are concerned. Once pics have been posted, you have no idea where they might end up.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'd post of a picture of the nightgown shown on a hanger, not on her!

LizzieMaine said:
What Neecerie said. Just because we have some well-disciplined gentlemen here doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful, especially where younger gals are concerned. Once pics have been posted, you have no idea where they might end up.

SleepyTimeGal

New in Town
Amy Jeanne said:

Hahahahaha that made me laugh so!
I love a check or striped flannel pyjama and in summer a little cammie and tap pant or bloomers. So comfy but so vintagey cute.

Ive been thinking I want a pair of those "old grandma" slippers too, that are usually floral embossed velvet with a hard sole. What sort of slippers or house shoes are you gals wearing?

smiley.girl

New in Town
Wish we had this company in the UK

When I was travelling in Aus, I fell in loooooove with Peter Alexander. I WISH we had it here in the UK. I'm hoping that they will get big enough and have some branches over here in the UK. In the meantime, if anyone knows how to get their stuff in the UK, please let me know!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
smiley.girl said:
When I was travelling in Aus, I fell in loooooove with Peter Alexander. I WISH we had it here in the UK. I'm hoping that they will get big enough and have some branches over here in the UK. In the meantime, if anyone knows how to get their stuff in the UK, please let me know!

When were you in Oz? P.A's quality and designs have deteriorated drastically in the last few years (YMMV). At one stage I had 6 pairs of his pyjamas, but once the last 2 wear out, I wouldn't be looking to replace them, as the fabrics have got thinner, the prices have gone higher and the designs have become tackier!

In summer I usually wear silk slips (the ones from Hush are lovely) and in winter the biggest thickest cotton jersey or flannel pyjamas I can find!

BoPeep

Practically Family
I grew up in flannel nightgowns (ardent Little House on the Prairie follower) and continued that trend up until a few years ago. Now I tend towards the silky and lacy. Somewhat spurned on by purchases of beautiful vintage slips that shouldn't be hidden under dresses for the rest of their lives! This one is dripping with lace, a perfect shade of pink, and too long to go under my dresses so why not?

IMG_2235.jpg

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
I must agree that Peter Alexander has become incredibly cheap and nasty with the quality and it has been quite a while since there was a really cute design. Sadly.

You really can't beat good ol' cotton or silk jammies...classic, wide leg, button up tops with collars. Timeless, sweet and oh so comfy!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Scarlet Belle said:
You really can't beat good ol' cotton or silk jammies...classic, wide leg, button up tops with collars. Timeless, sweet and oh so comfy!

Exactly! I ordered a pair of pyjamas on the internet last year - they looked like nice cotton flannel ones - and when they arrived they were low cut! How ridiculous! Who needs low rise jammies? You want classic, high waist, button collar, natural fibres and no mucking around.

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
Puzzicato said:
Exactly! I ordered a pair of pyjamas on the internet last year - they looked like nice cotton flannel ones - and when they arrived they were low cut! How ridiculous! Who needs low rise jammies? You want classic, high waist, button collar, natural fibres and no mucking around.

Low Cut jammies???? I despair!! Who decided that clothing hanging down around the bum cheeks, spreading a muffin top for the world to cringe at and causing ladies the world over to get chilled kidneys was a good idea?

Waist bands are called waist bands because they are meant to sit at the waist! hehehe....

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Hello ladies,

I myself absolutely love the colourful nighty/babydoll sets from the 60s! I collect them..perfect for the summer. You can find them for cheap at stores like Value Village. ;)

il_430xN.136065289.jpg

X

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Black Dahlia that 60's babydoll set is cute! I love two or three piece sets like that. :)

When I was living in Colorado I'd aim for soft flannel in the cool months, and cotton in the warm months. Silky, swishy fabric has never been my thing for sleep time. Since moving to Florida I've switched to thinner fabrics when it's warm (which is nearly year round). No vintage pajamas on at the moment - got a cute set from Old Navy in a lovely shade of mauve. A fitted tank top with lace straps and trim, and the bottoms are shorts that come to the knees, with a print of greyish white sheep (and it says "counting sheep" too).

I am keeping an eye on the pajamas at the Vermont Country Store site. I like the seersucker set. Those look very comfy!

melanie

One of the Regulars
Night Clothes

Hi girls

I was just wondering if any of you know of any nice sites where I can buy pretty 40s and 50s style night clothes, nighties, pj's, dressing gowns ect....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld