Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage recipies

Decodence

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
*KEY LIME PIE
4 large egg yolks
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice
Baked 9 inch Graham Cracker crust

Beat eggs until thick and light yellow.
Add sweetened condensed milk.
Stir in half of the juice until blended.
Add remaining juice and blend in.
Pour mixture into pie shell.
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes until set.

I made one last night and it was awesome!

*To only be made with real Key Limes.

I was skeptical as I am a keylime pie connoisseur, and I have tried many a recipe over the years, but this turned out great, with some whipped cream and lime wedge for garnish with some lime rind grated on top.

Feraud

Bartender
Decodence said:
I was skeptical as I am a keylime pie connoisseur, and I have tried many a recipe over the years, but this turned out great, with some whipped cream and lime wedge for garnish with some lime rind grated on top.
Excellent! Glad to read it.

Aside from noticing I cannot spell recipes lol this thread is a great read.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Excellent! Glad to read it.

Aside from noticing I cannot spell recipes lol this thread is a great read.
Indeed. Yummy.

DSC_5628%20(Large).JPG

(DOF was a tad bit tight on this. I should have stopped down to 2.8 instead of 2.0 I shot with.)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
euphemiasdoll said:
so you would probably(correct me if I'm wrong)
Cream butter and sugar
Sift flour, soda spices and salt
Separate yolks and whites
beat yolks lightly, (with brandy)
Beat whites to form soft peaks
add 1/4 of the flour mix to creamed butter mix lightly
add 1/4 of the yolk mix to flour and butter mixture, mix lightly
and so on until all ingredients are added and thoroughly mixed
stir in pecans and dates
and lastly fold in lightly the egg whites

Oh! I hadn't been in this thread for a while, so I missed this!
Thank you so much euphemiasdoll!

zaika

One Too Many
oh, yay for this thread! i just noticed it. :eusa_clap
last weekend i found a wartime cookbook with a huge dedication to Gen. MacArthur. lol it's in pretty good shape! i haven't had a chance to look through it, though, much less make anything. but that should change this weekend when i spend some quality time with my grandma. ;)
i'll post some receipies a little later, for sure.

CassD

One of the Regulars
zaika said:
oh, yay for this thread! i just noticed it. :eusa_clap
last weekend i found a wartime cookbook with a huge dedication to Gen. MacArthur. lol it's in pretty good shape! i haven't had a chance to look through it, though, much less make anything. but that should change this weekend when i spend some quality time with my grandma. ;)
i'll post some receipies a little later, for sure.

That cookbook sounds like a fantastic find, can't wait for the recipes!

zaika

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Was it a handwritten or printed dedication?

it was printed, with an entire page devoted to his portrait on the opposite side. it was quite heartfelt, though. :)

CassD - i thought it was a good find! there is a great section that they included that is all about how to shop, how to pack lunches for your children, menu suggestions for dinner parties/lunches/picnics. it has a TON of reminders that milk is the most important part of our diet. they suggested that you should buy enough milk so that each child gets at least a quart of milk a day, and that the adult get 1/3-3/4 of a quart a day. :eek: as one who rarely drinks milk, that was quite amusing. :) but in the back, they do talk about how to deal with the food shortages. i haven't read it through yet.

zaika said:
it was printed, with an entire page devoted to his portrait on the opposite side. it was quite heartfelt, though. :)
:eek: I knew the General had a kind of "cult following" back then--he could almost be described as the military equivalent of a modern rock star--but going that far?:eek:

Come on, you knew I was gonna chime in sooner or later, better to get it over with...lol:D And I'm still trying to get at my grandmother's cookbooks, but it seems like everytime I start to make a play she's moved even more stuff in to barricade the kitchen bookcase. Geez, you'd swear she thought I was gonna eBay 'em or something, or that they were a national-security matter...:rolleyes:

zaika

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
:eek: I knew the General had a kind of "cult following" back then--he could almost be described as the military equivalent of a modern rock star--but going that far?:eek:

Come on, you knew I was gonna chime in sooner or later, better to get it over with...lol:D And I'm still trying to get at my grandmother's cookbooks, but it seems like everytime I start to make a play she's moved even more stuff in to barricade the kitchen bookcase. Geez, you'd swear she thought I was gonna eBay 'em or something, or that they were a national-security matter...:rolleyes:

lol!!! i was wondering when you'd chime in, DB! i'll try to scan it tonight for you, so you can see just how deep their devotion ran. lol

zaika

One Too Many
here's some picture spam of my wartime cookbook (i hope it's okay for this thread...??)

2344100081_bc8a009e5b.jpg

the dedication...it's a rather nice one, actually...

2344100027_2c1a5b1923_o.jpg

and i LOVE the caption to this photo...as well as the lovely oven that i would LOVE to strike up a warm acquaintance with! lol

2344929874_fdd6e59b3b.jpg

and to comply with the title of the thread...a recipe that looks kinda yummy!

SWEET POTATO WAFFLES

4 tablespoons fat
1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
1 cup mashed sweet potato
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
Salt, cayenne, nutmeg

Mix the fat and sugar to a cream, stir in the well-beaten egg yolk, potato, flour, baking powder, milk and seasonings, and beat well until smooth. Fold in the stiffly beaten egg white. Bake in a heated waffle iron until golden brown. Serve, dusted with sugar and cinnamon, as an accompaniment to roast duck or turkey.

Katie Brookes said:
i keep hearing stories about my grandma doing this trick in the 60s of opening a can of pineapple rings, draining out the liquid and pouring in jello... i really need to try this, soon as i have a functional kitchen. could make a twist on it make it one big jello shot (to be divided into slices of course;) ), or does that just sound like an amazing idea to me?

My grandma used to do this kind of thing! She'd use a can of fruit salad & use the juice from the can as part of the liquid for the jelly. On 'special occasions' she'd add a can of carnation milk. She made it in a bowl though, not a can lol

I hate jelly *yucky*

I shall post my recipe for Yorkshire Parkin tonight. It really is the best kind of ginger cake there is. In the world. Ever.

Feraud said:
*KEY LIME PIE
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice

This sounds lovely, but what am I to do about the Key Limes? Just go without Key Lime Pie? Is it possible to make 'Lime Pie'? Am I allowed? :eusa_doh:

Decodence

A-List Customer
dollydaydream said:
This sounds lovely, but what am I to do about the Key Limes? Just go without Key Lime Pie? Is it possible to make 'Lime Pie'? Am I allowed? :eusa_doh:
Key limes are more aromatic and significantly more tart than your typical Persian/Tahitian/Bearss lime. That being said, it takes 10-15 keylimes to get half a cup of juice, and probably half that amount for a typical sized Persian/Tahitian/Bearss (all the same variety, Citrus x latifolia, just different names depending on locale).

CeceliaRose

New in Town
Feraud said:
*KEY LIME PIE
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice

I made one of these last night, and it turned out great. I love key lime pie. :)

Decodence said:
Key limes are more aromatic and significantly more tart than your typical Persian/Tahitian/Bearss lime. That being said, it takes 10-15 keylimes to get half a cup of juice, and probably half that amount for a typical sized Persian/Tahitian/Bearss (all the same variety, Citrus x latifolia, just different names depending on locale).

I may have a go and make jif lime pie :D

My contribution

Yes, Yorkshire Parkin!! (A recipe beaten into all Yorkshire lasses at a very young age)
6oz Self Raising Flour
2oz Rolled Oats
2tsp Ground Ginger
2oz Soft Brown Sugar
4oz Margerine
6oz Treacle
2oz Golden Syrup
150ml Milk
2 Eggs.

Melt margerine, treacle & golden syrup in a pan over a low heat.
Leave to cool and beat in milk & eggs (make sure it is cool otherwise you'll end up with the strangest scrambled eggs ever).
Add liquid to dry ingredients & mix well.
Pour into a well greased tin & bake at 150 Degrees C for 1 1/4 hours, or until cooked through.

Tip; Leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. The top will be sticky, so don't leave the cake upside down.

Tip; The recipe says 2 tsp of ground ginger, but it's a matter of taste really, I put in 3 or 4 so you can really taste it.

LOVELY LOVELY!!!!!

Feraud

Bartender
dollydaydream said:
I have made "Lime Pie" and there is a flavor element missing without the Key.

Decodence said:
Right. It is worth the effort to secure Key Limes for this pie.

There is a company that sells bottled Key Lime juice. Has anyone tried it?

CeceliaRose

New in Town
Feraud said:
I have made "Lime Pie" and there is a flavor element missing without the Key.

Right. It is worth the effort to secure Key Limes for this pie.

There is a company that sells bottled Key Lime juice. Has anyone tried it?

I used the bottled Key Lime juice in the pie I made last night. It was pretty good, nice and tart. Actually could've probably cut back the amount just a little bit and still had that nice tart lime taste. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe