Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hunting Clothes

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Red Head Brand. I think the vest itself is 1940s (the label has the (R) in the logo, and it has knit shell loops), but the zipper is a rare mid 1930s Talon, transitional from the grommet style to the "deco" style stopboxes, and with a fantail pull. These are the kinds of things I mean when I say "take all details into consideration when dating vintage clothes".

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I do love the labels in these hunting vests. Interesting that this one covers the cartridges rather leaves them open for easy access. Are all of the above from the same period?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Gamemaster was sort of a side-line for the Marshall Clothing Manufacturing Company. They were more known for making letterman jackets and gym shorts.

More or less. 1930s and 1940s. Lots of variation with the cartridge loops from maker to maker and model to model. Open loops, closed bottom loops, elastic topped loops, elastic bottomed loops, knit loops, fabric loops, etc.

1234919_457159947730640_368703335_n.jpg

Nice pic as well, although those gents look a little less likely to have a bottle of hooch under the front seat.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab

Tag says that the shell pockets are for 10 and 12 gauge. Ten gauge was a popular black powder shell, but increasingly less popular after the introduction of smokeless powder in the 1890's. Ten gauge shotguns kick like a mule and weigh a ton. When I was a kid, big-water duck hunters still used them some, but today they've all but disappeared. Hunters now have 3.5 inch 12 gauge shells to fill that niche.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markjames