Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It could be the brake pedal rod does not have enough clearance in the master cylinder. There is a little hole to release the pressure off the brakes but the master cylinder piston has to retract all the way to open it.

There should be 1/2 inch or so of free play on the brake pedal before it engages the master cylinder.

He's thinking this is the likliest explanation. The MC was newly rebuilt and sleeved last year, and has worked fine up till yesterday, which would seem to rule out the sleeve blocking one of the relief ports. It's possible, I suppose, that one or both of the ports is blocked up with sediment, but the rest of the system is all new, and I'd hope that we're too early yet for there to be much sediment flowing around in there.

The brakes were fine this morning after everything had a chance to cool down, but when it froze up yesterday never mind touching the brake drums -- the *fenders* were too hot to touch, and I was worried about melting the tires. Ooooweee.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
When you step on the brake pedal does it move freely for an inch or so before you feel any resistance? And do you then push a little farther before the brakes take hold? If not there is not enough free play in the pedal.

The relief port is not blocked by dirt or by the sleeve. It is blocked by the master cylinder piston not retracting far enough.

There must be clearance between the brake pedal rod and the master cylinder piston. If not, the brakes will drag and get hotter and hotter, tighter and tighter as you describe.

Another possibility is that the rear brake shoes were adjusted too tight to the drums. This would cause some drag but not the problem you describe.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I didn't feel very much play yesterday -- i didn't measure, but the pedal was higher to start with than its ever been, and every time I had to stop, it got higher and stiffer. By the time the system locked up, the pedal wouldn't budge at all, even if I put my full weight on it.

He's promising to get this all sorted out today, and I told him he needs to take it out for a fifteen or twenty mile drive before pronouncing it done -- he'll notice brake smell by that point if it hasn't been properly fixed.

Now I know why people complain about Lockheed brakes.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I didn't feel very much play yesterday -- i didn't measure, but the pedal was higher to start with than its ever been, and every time I had to stop, it got higher and stiffer. By the time the system locked up, the pedal wouldn't budge at all, even if I put my full weight on it.

He's promising to get this all sorted out today, and I told him he needs to take it out for a fifteen or twenty mile drive before pronouncing it done -- he'll notice brake smell by that point if it hasn't been properly fixed.

Now I know why people complain about Lockheed brakes.

What you describe is exactly what you would experience if the brake pushrod was too long.

There is nothing wrong with Lockheed brakes. Any brand of master cylinder would do the exact same thing if it was not adjusted correctly. This problem may date back to when the master cylinder was rebuilt. The pushrod needs to be adjusted when the master is replaced.

I do agree about one thing. Chrysler products had the best brakes on the market but they do require extra knowledge and care. When properly set up they will stop the car straight and true every timie.

Last edited:

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

It's true. Ford execs thought, "Chevy is making a little two-seater, we had better make one too!" GM execs were ready to axe the Corvette after '55, but then the Thuderbird came out, so the said, "now that Ford has one, we have to have one too!" So they did a total redesign for '56 and the most iconic Corvette ever was the result . . .

. . . that's either an example of the free market at its best or worst (i'm not quite sure which). :eusa_doh:

rjb1

Practically Family
Probably so... GM had to "keep up with the Jones's" (Ford) in terms of products.
T-Birds also gave the Corvettes something to outrun.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are a couple documents that were still in the glove box of my '61 Chevy Bel Air. My aunt saved everything.

I can still remember riding in the '49 Chevy Coupe my aunt traded in when she bought the '61.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And now you are still getting her money's worth. lol lol Reminds me of my mother's 75 Eldorado. :p

I'm afraid I've put almost as much into the car getting it back running as my aunt paid for it new. By the time I finish with the new paint job and new interior, I should have about three (or more :eeek: ) times as much invested in the car. But, it's all worth it to me to be able to sit at the kitchen window and see her car parked right outside where it always sat for so many years. It's just one more "connection" to the past I've been fortunate enough to be able to make.

I'm afraid I've put almost as much into the car getting it back running as my aunt paid for it new. By the time I finish with the new paint job and new interior, I should have about three (or more :eeek: ) times as much invested in the car. But, it's all worth it to me to be able to sit at the kitchen window and see her car parked right outside where it always sat for so many years. It's just one more "connection" to the past I've been fortunate enough to be able to make.
Yeah, getting cars back to the way they were can be costly. I am having the leather seats recovered in the Eldorado and they aren't cheap either. :p After that it goes in for the rust caused by that ugly hippie half vinyl roof it had. It is going to be a smooth top from now on. :p

Caddy is back in the shop, so I spent the day working on my old Dodge truck. Cleaned it out (which was much needed) besides the driver's seat, the entire cab was filled dashboard high with junk, as well as the bed.

Gave it a tune-up today and an oil change. The tune up was a WAY bigger fiasco than expected.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Haven't seen my old car in a couple of months.
I keep it at another location (other than my house) and just can't seem to get back to it.
My next project is to redo the suspension because of age.
I redid it 15yrs ago, but with time and lack of driving, she lists to one side. ;)
And I need to drain the fuel out of it, the current fuel has it running really bad even with stabil in it.
Thank goodness I've only got 5 gallons in the tank.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
After that it goes in for the rust caused by that ugly hippie half vinyl roof it had. It is going to be a smooth top from now on. :p
Man, James, you really do have a Hippie infestation, if they are even in your vinyl top now! Better get the exterminator out pronto.

I never associate vinyl tops with hippies, except perhaps MoPar's 'mod tops.'

On a car such as a Cadillac or other Broughamy car, I associate them with stodgy, old-fashioned, formal individuals such as myself lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe