Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

rjb1

Practically Family
It's not true that only NASCAR counts - NHRA drag racing is good, too.

Among the automotive enthusiasts I have known, there is a constant good-natured rivalry between fans of different types of racing and of different brands. For example, Chevy fans know that "F-O-R-D" means "Fix-Or-Repair-Daily". This also occurs between forms of racing, even by the racers directly involved. You may have seen the NAPA parts commercials in which the NASCAR driver sponsored by NAPA (Martin Truex) and the NHRA driver sponsored by NAPA (Ron Capps) make cracks about each others driving skills and requirements.
Even self-parody occurs within a racing organization. Consider the NASCAR commercial in which the driver is using a GPS system for directions: "Turn left", Turn left", Turn left"...

As a personal example, one of my first-year engineering students came in on the first day of class wearing a fairly gaudy Ford Mustang T-shirt. I walked up and said, "I hate Fords and the people that drive them." She was shocked for just a second, and then caught it that I was: a) a fellow hot rodder and b) that I was a Chevy fan, and I was making a common-interest connection. We got along well from that moment while she was in school, and we are still friends ten years later. (She is now an engineer in the auto industry.)

In that spirit, I was amused to note that the world's only known well-liked Renawlt, as described above, had a blown head gasket in the first paragraph, a bad starter in the second paragraph, a blown clutch in the third paragraph, and a 1400 cc engine described as "the big engine" (oxymoron) in the fourth paragraph. Now *that's* a Renawlt of the sort that we know and (don't) love... (most of us anyway)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
In that spirit, I was amused to note that the world's only known well-liked Renawlt, as described above, had a blown head gasket in the first paragraph, a bad starter in the second paragraph, a blown clutch in the third paragraph, and a 1400 cc engine described as "the big engine" (oxymoron) in the fourth paragraph. Now *that's* a Renawlt of the sort that we know and (don't) love... (most of us anyway)

Well, there would be at least one other well-loved Renault. My grandfather thought very highly indeed of the Renault machines that he used during the Great War, and found them much preferable to the Winton that he was initially assigned. From the photos that we have the particular Renault that he drove appears to have been a pre-war type EF with typical touring coach work.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The Renno did require some repairs during its 10 year life. But not as many as a Ford, and not as expensive.

In fairness the Renno head gasket would not have blown if the owner had stopped when the engine overheated due to a leaking rad hose. And the starter would not have failed if the owner had dried off the distributor cap instead of getting out the jumper cables and grinding the starter to death when it obviously was not firing. The clutch was the result of long wear and took about 10 years to wear out.

I didn't think much of them either, until I owned one. Just like I had nothing against Fords, until I owned one.

I know a lot of people who hate Fords, but I've personally never had a bad one. I had two Crown Victoria P71s and a Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park wagon. Excellent vehicles. They also make great tractors. We've had out Ford 3400 for almost 20 years and it never fails.

I didn't think much of them either, until I owned one. Just like I had nothing against Fords, until I owned one.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The exception to my family's overall preference for Chevrolet was my grandfather's insistence on Ford trucks -- he always had a Ford pickup, no matter what car was currently in vogue in the family. The one that made the most impression on me was a 1956 model with the passenger-side door held closed by a loop of clothesline rope. This was the vehicle in which DONT LEAN ON THE DOOR took on a whole new meaning.

I'll say this for the '74 Galaxie I inherited -- it had the best radio of any car I've ever owned.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I had a 71 Mercury full size wagon that was terrible and put me off Ford products. Then 7 or 8 years ago I took a 97 Lincoln as a trade to make a deal and it was a great car even though it was an ex limo service car and had over 300,000 miles on it.

So 4 years ago I bought a 2000 Ford Windstar, one owner, 70,000 miles, which I like very much but has the annoying habit of breaking down and leaving me stranded, with repairs costing from $500 to $1200 each time. No cheap parts or easy fixes for this baby. When it breaks something it means business.

Have also noticed that where other cars will give you a warning of impending breakdown by making noise, running rough etc a Ford will just suddenly stop or fall apart with no warning.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Likes and dislikes are a funny thing. Our family had 6 or 7 slant six Dodge and Plymouth cars back when they were popular. All were good, reliable, economical and long lived - except one.

My brother bought a new Aspen station wagon when they were going through a molting period, 1976 I think. He had it back to the dealer 3 or 4 times for warranty fixes, and it never did work right.

This soured him on Chryslers forever (one bad one out of 6 or 7 cars remember).

Since then he has bought nothing but Fords and loves them, even though he has had more trouble, more repair expense and more warranty work done than he ever did with Chrysler products.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
There is one Renault that is big on my most wanted list! [video=youtube;mPkMn158Fwo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPkMn158Fwo[/video]

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Hey! Clowns liked the Renault too. They could fit twenty of them in there. :p They are also good if you have a group of ten year olds who need a car they can drive without moving the seat. :p

Ha ha ha, that's the one. It is even the same color as mine. Now imagine me @ 6' 3" and 265lbs behind the wheel. Clown car for sure.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I had a 71 Mercury full size wagon that was terrible and put me off Ford products. Then 7 or 8 years ago I took a 97 Lincoln as a trade to make a deal and it was a great car even though it was an ex limo service car and had over 300,000 miles on it.

So 4 years ago I bought a 2000 Ford Windstar, one owner, 70,000 miles, which I like very much but has the annoying habit of breaking down and leaving me stranded, with repairs costing from $500 to $1200 each time. No cheap parts or easy fixes for this baby. When it breaks something it means business.

Have also noticed that where other cars will give you a warning of impending breakdown by making noise, running rough etc a Ford will just suddenly stop or fall apart with no warning.

I drove Ford cars for quite a few years, and put over a hundred-thousand miles on one little Coupe, and only once had one of the "sudden breakdowns" that you describe. Shortly after I purchased the car I was driving in the White Mountains, and going down hill a thrust washer in the rear end let loose, leaving me with neither power nor brakes (save for the emergency brake). The machine was fitted with its original, fragile Babbitt thrust washer. I had (foolishly) not yet rebuilt the rear axle, and so the machine did not have one of the improved bronze washers installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe