Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

The older salesman told me the same thing; they could never afford to build a car like my 65 Lincoln nowadays. I happen to know that is true from my own reading about the car. Back when my car was made quality control was very strict. At that time Lincoln was a separately run marquee, and were only produced in Ford’s Wixon MI plant on an entirely separate line of its own. Each and every car was driven over their private course for ten miles to root out any defects before it was shipped to a dealership. They would also strip down every 50 to 100th car to check for consistent QA, so the workers had to stay on their toes, and a “good enough for government work” attitude saw you “turfed out” door real fast. There was also a great deal of other QA checks too numerous to list here. It would be nice if some day if a reasonable balance could be reached between management, labor, and government so that competiveness, quality, and profitability could return to the US automotive industry. To think that at one time the American made car was the king of the highways.

A friend came by with a camera so we messed around with taking a few pictures. This is one of me with the Mach 1. I figured since you shared yours I would do the same. :D I threw on an ascot, double brested jacket, sunglasses and a straw hat to make it a little more eccentric. :p

Mach-1.jpg

I once had a guy try to sell me his Magnavox hi-fi for 325 bucks. I took him in my house and showed him the one that sits in my laundry room. Mint condition, I paid 5 bucks for it. I told him, that I would happily let him have mine for half the price of what he was asking for his. He told me that mine wasn't worth as much as his because I only paid 5 bucks for it. Huh?!

A rather funny and witty snappy comeback. And yes things do depreciate once they go out the door, and rather quickly it seems until they seem to get as old as some of our cars!

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
I once had a guy try to sell me his Magnavox hi-fi for 325 bucks. I took him in my house and showed him the one that sits in my laundry room. Mint condition, I paid 5 bucks for it. I told him, that I would happily let him have mine for half the price of what he was asking for his. He told me that mine wasn't worth as much as his because I only paid 5 bucks for it. Huh?!

Sounds like that guy should “your add here” stenciled on his forehead, since it is obvious that there is little between the ears.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
A friend came by with a camera so we messed around with taking a few pictures. This is one of me with the Mach 1. I figured since you shared yours I would do the same. :D I threw on an ascot, double brested jacket, sunglasses and a straw hat to make it a little more eccentric. :p

Mach-1.jpg

Very natty indeed, both you and the car. Regrettably I don’t have any snaps of me with car to share with you. If I can get my wife to play shutterbug sometime I will post some. It might also have to wait until spring, as everything is bare and brown around here at the moment. I also wanted you to know if I showed this snap of your car to my youngest brother and my brother in law, I would have to pick both their chins of both off the floor.

Very natty indeed, both you and the car. Regrettably I don’t have any snaps of me with car to share with you. If I can get my wife to play shutterbug sometime I will post some. It might also have to wait until spring, as everything is bare and brown around here at the moment. I also wanted you to know if I showed this snap of your car to my youngest brother and my brother in law, I would have to pick both their chins of both off the floor.

Thanks. I bet the neighbor was wondering what we were doing taking pictures of the car. :p Well that and why I smoked the tires taking off from there. :p
The neighbor's lawn and yard looks nothing like that in person. The lawn is dead and the garden is a mess. However, the sunlight was just right there. :p

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I'm now the proud owner of a 1961 Chevy Bel Air. :eusa_clap
My sister took me up on my offer of $1,000 and we will take care of the title, etc. tomorrow.

By Tuesday I should have the car at the shop and have my mechanic give it a good going over to see just what it will take to get it back in good running condition. After that, to the body shop to get a new paint job.

The picture I posted earlier of my aunt and me with the car was taken on Easter Sunday, 1961. I'm hoping to have the car sitting back in the exact same spot by Easter, 2012. I've waited a long time to get that car back to where it belongs.

Wonderful news! I'm so happy that she took the offer!

My sister took me up on my offer of $1,000 and we will take care of the title, etc. tomorrow.

By Tuesday I should have the car at the shop and have my mechanic give it a good going over to see just what it will take to get it back in good running condition. After that, to the body shop to get a new paint job.

The picture I posted earlier of my aunt and me with the car was taken on Easter Sunday, 1961. I'm hoping to have the car sitting back in the exact same spot by Easter, 2012. I've waited a long time to get that car back to where it belongs.

Superb! I can hear the car smiling from here. :p
That is great. let us know how the resurrection process goes!

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer

Splendid News!

Do have the brakes and fuel line checked. Also please show us some snaps when she is running under her own steam again.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up

Bravo! Excellent. Can't wait to see the results.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Glad to hear a happy ending to the Bel Air story! I know it's in great hands now. Probably better than my own, as I'd be sorely tempted to dig up a 348 or 409 to stash under the hood. :eeek:

-Dave

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Glad to hear a happy ending to the Bel Air story! I know it's in great hands now. Probably better than my own, as I'd be sorely tempted to dig up a 348 or 409 to stash under the hood. :eeek:-Dave
Mine (I like the sound of "mine") has an 8 cyl 283, so it's not a real small motor. If the '61 Chevy is anything like my '65 Ford's 289 V-8, it will run faster than I want to drive.

Mine (I like the sound of "mine") has an 8 cyl 283, so it's not a real small motor. If the '61 Chevy is anything like my '65 Ford's 289 V-8, it will run faster than I want to drive.

A 283? I know a little about that engine---since I have been tinkering with it for over twenty years now. :p If it has the four barrel carb then you certainly have enough power there. Even the two barrel is decent. It will certainly move that four door. :p Sit down, push the pedal and hang on. :p

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab

For some reason I assumed this was a 235ci six. The 283s were good motors, to be sure.

A 283? I know a little about that engine---since I have been tinkering with it for over twenty years now. :p If it has the four barrel carb then you certainly have enough power there. Even the two barrel is decent. It will certainly move that four door. :p Sit down, push the pedal and hang on. :p

I’ve gotten spoiled by having a 4bbl 327 and 4-speed in a relatively lightweight Camaro body, so in that ‘61 four-door I’d be thinking of transferring all the 283's visual elements to an externally identical 383 V8. :cool:

On the street, it's not how fast, it's how quickly it will get to fast.

-Dave

I’ve gotten spoiled by having a 4bbl 327 and 4-speed in a relatively lightweight Camaro body, so in that ‘61 four-door I’d be thinking of transferring all the 283's visual elements to an externally identical 383 V8. :cool:

On the street, it's not how fast, it's how quickly it will get to fast.

-Dave

The 283 was the forerunner to the 327. It has many of the same virtues and with a little tweaking, they can be made to put out a lot of horsepower for a small block engine. :D The 383 would fit but that wouldn't be original to the car. :p

I know what you mean there. I have a big block 351C in my Mach 1 and it gets there---fast. :p

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The 283 was the forerunner to the 327. It has many of the same virtues and with a little tweaking, they can be made to put out a lot of horsepower for a small block engine. :D The 383 would fit but that wouldn't be original to the car. :p

Of course, what’s less original? A 283 wearing a four-barrel, headers, and running a Duntov cam? Or a 383 wearing the 283's intake manifold, carburetor, ram’s horns, and running a mild camshaft idling much like the original 283? The latter is probably more in keeping with the original character of the car, while still providing sufficient power to deal with any traffic situation (although disc brakes are probably also advisable no matter what engine is used).

I know what you mean there. I have a big block 351C in my Mach 1 and it gets there---fast. :p

I always enjoy spirited acceleration up to the legal limit. :D

Clevelands are medium blocks, aren’t they? Not quite the 429-460 Limas, but greater than the 221-351W Windsors.

My dad had a ‘70 Mach 1 with a 351C-4V but unfortunately equipped with a 2.79 rear axle - thus it did nothing particularly well. Great looking car, though!

-Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe