Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Borsalino from Germany

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Super Borsalinos, But....

What's a QM ?
I joined in December '05, I've read lots of threads about Hat science & Engineering... dialogue and friendly banter going back-n-forth about makes, styles and non-wearers rude comments, but for some reason I must have over looked discussions about the "QM"....:cool:

D. Hats said:
What's a QM ?
I joined in December '05, I've read lots of threads about Hat science & Engineering... dialogue and friendly banter going back-n-forth about makes, styles and non-wearers rude comments, but for some reason I must have over looked discussions about the "QM"....:cool:

Hahahhahahah! I forgot that you might not understand that one. It refers to the Fedora Lounge Summit we have on the Queen Mary in Long Beach every year.

Regards to all,

J

P.S. You can check this out:http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=6438&highlight=Queen+Mary

Sinatra

Familiar Face
Here is my Borsalino (made in Italy) I picked it up new, at Harrods in London, five years ago. This remains the finest quality hat I have.
Borsalino.gif

I know I overpaid for it, because I bought it at Harrods ($200 US) ... but damn, once I put it on I couldn't take it off! haha

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Borsalino off this mornings auction...

I made my morning sojourn through the auctions and happened upon this Borsalino. It had been sitting there since ~8 - 9 o'clock last night. No takers, so I figured you guys were leaving it for me... In the past when I've seen a "Buy Now" item on ebay, if I blinked, it was gone before I knew it. I decided not to blink this time so I snatched it up...
Any ideas on age and other particulars?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-Borsalino-Mens-Hat-Homberg-PorkPie-7-3-8-Pork-Pie_W0QQitemZ8381958955QQcategoryZ14065QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The crown does not look original, I figured a little reshaping into the traditional Fedora (C possibly) would be in order.

D. Hats said:
I made my morning sojourn through the auctions and happened upon this Borsalino. It had been sitting there since ~8 - 9 o'clock last night. No takers, so I figured you guys were leaving it for me... In the past when I've seen a "Buy Now" item on ebay, if I blinked, it was gone before I knew it. I decided not to blink this time so I snatched it up...
Any ideas on age and other particulars?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-Borsalino-Mens-Hat-Homberg-PorkPie-7-3-8-Pork-Pie_W0QQitemZ8381958955QQcategoryZ14065QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The crown does not look original, I figured a little reshaping into the traditional Fedora (C possibly) would be in order.

Nice find. Get rid of that ugly porkpie block and you have a fine vintage Borsalino (probably late 40s-50s). A C Crown would work just fine on that. I just wonder how easy that porkpie is going to be to get out. ;) Well there is always a professional reblock. You are way ahead either way.

Regards,

J

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
I'm hopin' that rough porkpie look isn't too severely creased. Hopefully it'll come right out. It'll be the first thing to happen when I pull it out of the box.
I actually paid more than this for a newer Borsalino last year...when I was a shade greener behind the ears.

D. Hats said:
I'm hopin' that rough porkpie look isn't too severely creased. Hopefully it'll come right out. It'll be the first thing to happen when I pull it out of the box.
I actually paid more than this for a newer Borsalino last year...when I was a shade greener behind the ears.

I think you learned a few things here. ;) I have paid more than you did for Borsalinos. You are lucky that fit you and the seller set a decent price. Now if I could find one for a 7 5/8. ;) :cheers1:
I think that prokpie will come out easily. The crease is not sharp enough to make an indelible block. I just wonder what went through the guy's mind when he put that block on it. Lucky for you though. Probably a few people passed it by with that block on it.

Regards to all,

J

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
I guess as a result of the pictures you and everyone posted within this particular thread on Borasalinos I looked right past the porkpie and pictured it in a full fedora crown... atop my head out in public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe