Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viberg - any other horrible experiences?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Has anyone else had a bad experience with Viberg? I can't believe what I'm going through with these Viberg people...bought a pair of shoes from their site. They arrived and they are not up to par. One of the shoes has very deep creases that run vertically on one side. Not the sort of creases you'd see from the leather creasing from bending, but funky creasing that looks like what people describe as 'loose grain'. So I emailed them with a photo expecting an apology and an offer of an easy exchange or refund. What I got instead was them telling me it was damage that occurred in shipping, and that it's nothing to worry about because shoes will get creases in them anyway after wearing, with no return/exchange solution offered. btw - these were shipped carefully packaged with each shoe in a cloth bag, and then double boxed. The idea that this happened in shipping is a joke.

And, these are vertical creases running the length of the shoe, not horizontal so they are not the type that would be naturally occurring anyway upon wearing, and they are in a spot that wouldn't crease with wear anyway. None of my old worn out shoes are creased in this area. So I replied saying sorry, but these are expensive shoes ($800+), and this is not acceptable to me and that I wanted to do an exchange or refund. Their reply to that was that these shoes are now sold out in my size, and my only option is to keep them or return them for store credit lol.

I'm just dumbfounded. They don't happen to have anything else I want so a 'store credit' isn't going to cut it for me. They have a store credit only/no refund policy, but I had just assumed this applied to situations where someone gets a pair and doesn't like the color, not a situation where they send someone a defective/damaged product.

Anyway, here's a pic of the culprit:

Attachments

• shoe.JPG
    shoe.JPG
    485.6 KB · Views: 170

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
God bless the return policy we have over here in the EU.

A consumer who has purchased goods via an online platform has the right to cancel the contract and claim a refund without giving any reason or justification and without incurring any liability (unless exceptions apply) within 14 calendar days of receiving the goods.

I'm sorry but this is literally just a crease. It's not "loose grain", whatever that means, or anything other than the perfectly normal crease that appeared from leather being folded over. Such crease couldn't have happened once the shoe was made. Leather panel is folded all over way before it even becomes clothes & the person making your shoe actually took great care to use the panel horizontally, so it would look good. Which it does.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
God bless the return policy we have over here in the EU.

A consumer who has purchased goods via an online platform has the right to cancel the contract and claim a refund without giving any reason or justification and without incurring any liability (unless exceptions apply) within 14 calendar days of receiving the goods.

I may have that option here as well if I file a dispute with my credit card company. They offer consumer protection. So if I have to I'll go that route. I don't know what the law is in the USA/Canada, but the idea that someone can post a 'no refund' policy on their website, and then hide behind that while they send customers broken, defective, or whatever merch doesn't seem legal, and I'd bet it isn't.

cbez

One Too Many
Imo its a crease. Certain leathers just crease differently. Loose grain just became a buzzword for any creasing that isn't as esthetically pleasing. I almost never see real, detrimental 'loose grain'

Also, it's clearly horizontal, no idea why you would insist it's vertical.

But at their price point they should do returns and make customers happy even if it's just a crease they don't like.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Imo its a crease. Certain leathers just crease differently. Loose grain just became a buzzword for any creasing that isn't as esthetically pleasing. I almost never see real, detrimental 'loose grain'

But at their price point they should do returns and make customers happy even if it's just a crease they don't like.

oops, I guess I meant horizontal. In any event, it runs the opposite direction that normal creasing from bending the foot does, which means it's not creasing 'that would happen anyway' which is what they said to get me to accept it. And like I said, it's in a spot where no creasing from wear would be happening, these are shoes, not boots. So it's unsightly

cbez

One Too Many
My addict HH boots have very tight, shell-section rolls in the vamps, and more 'loose grain' in the shafts. But still look fantastic.

Also it's creased in the same spot as yours. That's from the movement of the ankle, and bending that panel to take them on and off not the flexing of the toes like on the vamps.
1000024890.jpg

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Agree. Got a pair of Lofgrens with loose grain in one boot. John himself said “i wouldn’t pay $1000 for that, send it back.”

funny you mention them. I bought a pair of lofgren horween cxl chelsea boots, and they came with bad leather...cuts and scratches that were there before the leather was dyed. But same deal, sent them an email w/photos. But in that case they were great and immediately offered an exchange. Polar opposite of the viberg clowns. This is my 3rd pair of vibergs too btw. But a 1st time purchase from then direct. But it will be my last

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
My addict HH boots have very tight, shell-section rolls in the vamps, and more 'loose grain' in the shafts. But still look fantastic.

Also it's creased in the same spot as yours. That's from the movement of the ankle, and bending that panel to take them on and off not the flexing of the toes like on the vamps.
View attachment 638702

again mine are shoes, not boots, so there is no ankle. The creases on mine are at the side of my foot area, and it's only on one shoe. The other shoe is perfect

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Update. Got a response from them to my last email and this one says that after a review by their quality team, they've determined that there is no problem at all, and for that reason they are standing by their no refund decision. In their previous email they had told me that after reviewing the photo the issue was determined to be 'damage that occurred in shipping' lol. Man, you'd think a 'premiere' footwear company like viberg would be treating their customers like gold, but nope

Last edited:

cbez

One Too Many
again mine are shoes, not boots, so there is no ankle. The creases on mine are at the side of my foot area, and it's only on one shoe. The other shoe is perfect
This is a natural flex point for leather footwear to crease at, and the other shoe will likely have it too after a few wears.

But I agree, may as well eat an exchange if a customer is that salty. People don't spend a car down payment on boots to get half ass customer service.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

https://www.stitchdown.com/horween-leather-school/what-is-loose-grain-leather/

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
This is a natural flex point for leather footwear to crease at, and the other shoe will likely have it too after a few wears.

no, the creases are along the side of the foot mid-foot running front towards back. I've never had a shoe crease lengthwise like that, even after old and worn and beat to crap. and these aren't your regular natural creases from bending/folding of the leather, they are funky - deep and prominent and kind of puffy and bubbled up looking

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Tell them your ok with the leather at this point but after trying them on they are too tight and painful.

cbez

One Too Many
Pretty much all my footwear have a horizontal crease in that area. It's where the upper wants to fold when your ankle bends. Some will be looser like my addicts and some will be tighter grain like my Maryam Bakers. Ive seen hundreds with creasing just like yours. If you don't want to risk it, get shell or leathers known for tight creasing.

1000024893.jpg
1000024894.jpg
1000024895.jpg
1000024896.jpg

MickeyPunch

Familiar Face
Whereas I do think returns should always be accepted, no questions asked (with some exceptions, like MTO/MTM, or final sales), that crease wouldn’t bother me one bit. Viberg last time I checked do work boots and the like, it’s not like they’re dress shoes from Carmina.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I don't think anyone would pay full price for these if they were offered at a brick and mortar store. Viberg took advantage of the fact that the shoes couldn't be inspected before buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1