Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson! Vanson! Vanson!

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Well it's finally been delivered.Vanson that I purchased off vinted and my sister picked it up for me about 4weeks ago.Happy to say its immaculate, but the break in starts now.Through experience with vanson, it's a long process. Only one disappointment was seeing that the zipper has the black plastic box and pin.i emailed vanson with the identity fob to see if they could provide a date of manufacture.
I forgot that I wore my original model E around the house for a year or 2 before I felt it was really comfortable. Wish me luck :)
No reply from vanson, which is a shame.
I thought this 44 was cut smaller than my last jacket, then I realised I had put on a stone ,,,oops, back on the healthy eating for me :)

cpstecroix

New in Town
Cheers. Not sure if I’ll find it there but fires anyone have any thoughts having had those leathers in hand? Weight, feel, wear etc? Honestly, all things being equal I would likely pick up a thurston but the premium over the regular Vanson is enough that i am pausing to ask questions

So, I went with a Thurston coat and to those who steered me that way, my deepest gratitude. Carrie was awesome and the coat turned out exactly how i imagined it….i have a difficult frame to fit (52” chest, big shoulders and a sizeable drop at the waist) and using the test fit jacket Carrie nailed it. I am pretty stoked. (Ignore my weird pose lol….i dont stand like that except apparently when my spouse is taking my photo)

Attachments

• IMG_9818.jpeg
    IMG_9818.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9821.jpeg
    IMG_9821.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 106

f2002q

One of the Regulars
So, I went with a Thurston coat and to those who steered me that way, my deepest gratitude. Carrie was awesome and the coat turned out exactly how i imagined it….i have a difficult frame to fit (52” chest, big shoulders and a sizeable drop at the waist) and using the test fit jacket Carrie nailed it. I am pretty stoked. (Ignore my weird pose lol….i dont stand like that except apparently when my spouse is taking my photo)
Great jacket, awesome color. By the way, I have a similar frame, would you mind sharing the measurements of the jacket? P2P, Shoulder, Sleeve length, and Hem.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know how to decode the Vanson serial number? I would reach out to them but have not had luck in the past. It’s a C2. View attachment 636321 View attachment 636322
Just give them a call they can look it up for you in their system. And congrats on the new jacket.

The Vanson Unit Number​

Rare + Unique: The Vanson Unit Number​

All Vanson products have unique serial numbers
Every Vanson garment comes with its own unique unit number – proof that the piece was handmade and that it’s yours. Every Vanson jacket comes with an individually stamped
Both the product and the key fob are stamped with the products serial number
Vanson key fob and a warranty registration form which, once filled out and sent back to us, is entered into our computer system’s database*. Every Vanson is embossed with its own number. Should your Vanson ever get lost or stolen, we can identify it as yours. In the event of loss due to accident or fire, we can verify replacement value for insurance purposes. This can be especially valuable if your Vanson garment is custom and not available off-the-rack.

We archive all custom patterns and repair information, enabling us to duplicate or repair any garment. On a number of occasions the Vanson Unit Number has proved to be invaluable in helping trace a stolen jacket or group of jackets that have been stolen and illegally resold. Point being, the purchase of a Vanson is truly an investment in a rare handmade product – and the Vanson Unit Number helps protect that investment.

The True Story of how Vanson began using Unit Numbers...​

In 1984 Vanson was located on the 4th floor of Thayer Street, in Boston's South End.** The neighborhood was not a good one, this was before “urban renewal”. Our stockroom was also our showroom – lots of pipe rack hanging from chains bolted to the beams above, lots of garments stuffed onto the racks. The bathroom was also the changing room.... and all the windows had expanded metal grates over them on the outside; the normal urban fortress.

On a Saturday morning I got a call from our downstairs neighbor, who happened to be using his bathroom (directly below ours), to say it was “raining coats past his window”. Turns out a repeat customer had removed the bolts holding the outside grate to the window frame and was now throwing armloads of garments out of the window to an accomplice below.

A chase down the stairs and out onto the street ended when a passing police patrol stopped to assist and arrested the thief. However his accomplice at the back of the building and a number of jackets got away.

Some weeks later I was at a sandwich shop and recognized one of the stolen jackets on top of the store refrigerator. The police were called and we ended up in court to get the jacket back.

In court, on the stand, I was asked how long Vanson had been making coats, 12 years I replied. And in 12 years how many coats have you made?... Maybe 100 per week as a rough number X 52 weeks X 12 years … maybe 60,000, at best... How then could I identify this particular garment? I was asked. Well, I explained, this jacket was a custom order with a C1234 number. It showed in our inventory reports. And predicted that when I ripped open the lining, this custom number would be written on the inside of the lining... which it was.

We got the coat back. And the thieves were linked together and in several trials got sentenced. Our lesson; each unit we make is rare and unique, mark it permanently and make it so...

* Operated by highly-trained data-processing experts, using a nex-gen-bleeding-edge-big-data system known, to those who know these things, as “dos”.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
First report on vintage Vanson Mercury - Tag size "44" that was just received. Photos shows below show the condition of this jacket "as received." A few details that I would say the following are true with this specific jacket.

- Has leather lined handwarmer pockets
- Has not had zippers on these handwarmer pockets
- Has had main zipper replaced - it's a YKK as shown below
- Likely when the main zipper was replaced the original windflap was re-installed outside the zipper
- LH sleeve zipper has been replaced
- Road rash is present on the back of this jacket
- One piece back panel
-Tagged a 44, it's measurements are listed below -

Dimensions of this jacket -
Pit to pit - 22.5"
Sleeve - 24"
Back - 22"
Shoulders - 18.5"
Down zipper - 19"

So yes, it's a short jacket and closer to a modern "42"

Merc_07.JPG Merc_04.JPG Merc_05.JPG Merc_09.JPG Merc_08.JPG Merc_01.JPG Merc_10.JPG Merc_12.JPG

I'll add some new photos in the next few days as the leather cream soaks in as a compare & contrast. I used "Horseman's one step" on this as it was rather dry.

Last edited:

Mandarin

Practically Family
First report on vintage Vanson Mercury - Tag size "44" that was just received. Photos shows below show the condition of this jacket "as received." A few details that I would say the following are true with this specific jacket.

- Has leather lined handwarmer pockets
- Has not had zippers on these handwarmer pockets
- Has had main zipper replaced - it's a YKK as shown below
- Likely when the main zipper was replaced the original windflap was re-installed outside the zipper
- LH sleeve zipper has been replaced
- Road rash is present on the back of this jacket
- One piece back panel
-Tagged a 44, it's measurements are listed below -

Dimensions of this jacket -
Pit to pit - 22.5"
Sleeve - 24"
Back - 22"
Shoulders - 18.5"
Down zipper - 19"

So yes, it's a short jacket and closer to a modern "42"

View attachment 637476 View attachment 637478 View attachment 637479 View attachment 637481 View attachment 637480 View attachment 637477 View attachment 637482 View attachment 637483

I'll add some new photos in the next few days as the leather cream soaks in as a compare & contrast. I used "Horseman's one step" on this as it was rather dry.
Although the label doesn't specify it , your jacket might be horse hide. Vanson used several features to indicate this, one being the lining. Another was Riri zippers, which in this case, seem to have been replaced, except on the left cuff.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Waiting on this C2 to arrive but had to post again because I am looking forward to getting my hands on it. Also thankful it has the belt and the key fob still with the jacket. This will be my second Vanson, the first being the beast Model J. Hoping this leather comes close to that OG comp weight on the J.
View attachment 637517
Beautiful jacket! I’m guessing it’s relatively recent so I’d love to know how the leather is since I just ordered a Maverick.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Waiting on this C2 to arrive but had to post again because I am looking forward to getting my hands on it. Also thankful it has the belt and the key fob still with the jacket. This will be my second Vanson, the first being the beast Model J. Hoping this leather comes close to that OG comp weight on the J.
View attachment 637517
Really really nice! Hope we see some fit photos of this one soon!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Although the label doesn't specify it , your jacket might be horse hide. Vanson used several features to indicate this, one being the lining. Another was Riri zippers, which in this case, seem to have been replaced, except on the left cuff.
Thanks for the tip on this!

I will say there is something pretty special about this jacket, even being a bit dry the leather had a very good feel and weight but was not overly heavy. In fact, the jacket is only ~ 4.5 lbs overall. I'll check out & photo the zippers in more detail when I'm home this evening in better light.

Also since there is no key-fob with the serial # I'll have to see if this is stamped in the inside pocket.

Viking752

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket! I’m guessing it’s relatively recent so I’d love to know how the leather is since I just ordered a Maverick.
Thanks, The seller stated it was from an estate sale so no history from that angle. I compared this jacket to the Vanson web photos and the sleeve zipper pulls and collar snap above the label are the same. Not sure how long ago Vanson made any pattern changes or any other moves with the hardware , but my investigative mind will find out more.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Got home and took the jacket out to the outside table again in a little more light to try and get the zippers & serial number. That serial # is nearly impossible to read, but it's still imprinted there.

Merc_20.JPG

The zippers are indeed a mixed bag, maybe an expert such as @photo2u may be able to tell, but the Original sleeve zipper remains on the RH sleeve - I do not think it's Riri - "Vanson USA" is stamped on both sides

Merc_13.JPG

Someone did a little zipper-harvesting for the LH sleeve - "Boss - Hugo Boss"

Merc_14.JPG

While the initial conditioning did not change the overall leather appearance very much - the "Horseman's One Step" is mostly moisture for the leather, it did even out the area on the back with the road rash.

Merc_19.JPG

I think the grain on this jacket is just really nice.

Merc_17.JPG
Merc_18.JPG

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Got home and took the jacket out to the outside table again in a little more light to try and get the zippers & serial number. That serial # is nearly impossible to read, but it's still imprinted there.

View attachment 637661

The zippers are indeed a mixed bag, maybe an expert such as @photo2u may be able to tell, but the Original sleeve zipper remains on the RH sleeve - I do not think it's Riri - "Vanson USA" is stamped on both sides

View attachment 637662

View attachment 637663

While the initial conditioning did not change the overall leather appearance very much - the "Horseman's One Step" is mostly moisture for the leather, it did even out the area on the back with the road rash.

View attachment 637665

View attachment 637666
View attachment 637667
That is a very nice jacket.

Mandarin

Practically Family

View attachment 637661

View attachment 637662

View attachment 637663

View attachment 637665

View attachment 637666
View attachment 637667
My mistake. from a distance, I took it for a Riri zipper

RR z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads