Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model J Horsehide

OneStar

New in Town
Hi All,
I recently purchased this Vanson Model J in Brown FQHH through Ebay. It was new with tags and I think a good find since Vanson seems to be making so little in horsehide these days. I take a size 50 in Vanson’s technical riding jackets so I took a chance with this also in size 50. It might have been better for me in a size 48 but since it is a car coat style I’m not concerned that it is a bit roomy.

I love the style. It reminds me of the Admiral Byrd Aero, posted by BladeSmith some time ago. The belt attachment means that it is better buckled-up or removed altogether. It looks a bit odd unbuckled and hanging down.

This is my first horsehide jacket and came up as an option on Ebay after I had placed my order with Aero for a modified Highwayman (due to be shipped any day now). Amanda is arranging a size 46 based on my measurements. I am looking forward to comparing the two horsehide qualities. I really love the Vanson colour, finish and weight. Like all horsehide, it will take some breaking in.
Cheers
IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket! Great leather and colour. But can you really wear such a heavy thing in Sydney? I tried wearing an Aero Highwayman in Melbourne, which is is a far less humid location, and I never found it comfortable. Over here I reckon any jacket over 3.5 pounds or 1.5 kilos is almost unwearable...

That said, I like the design. I'd loose the belt, but that's just me.

Did you order it from overseas? Tell us about the experience - how did you arrive at the size.

Move to Tasmania and enjoy it more often. :)

narwhale

New in Town
Wow, that looks great. If I had seen that I might have had a harder time pulling the trigger on my Aero LHB, especially considering I would probably already have it by now! Unfortunately Vanson's website leaves something to be desired (no indication that this jacket is available in brown, "horsehide available" but no link or price). Maybe that stuff is common knowledge, though. I'd love to see photos of it on when you get a chance.

mopar 38

New in Town
:eusa_clap

Great looking Jacket , beautiful colour .

Can You check the weight of the Jacket ? , i am interested in , `cause i own a Aero Hercules in Heavy Horsehide Size 50 .
Please show Pic`s wearing the Vanson:)

Norbert

OneStar

New in Town
Seb Lucas said:
Nice jacket! Great leather and colour. But can you really wear such a heavy thing in Sydney? I tried wearing an Aero Highwayman in Melbourne, which is is a far less humid location, and I never found it comfortable. Over here I reckon any jacket over 3.5 pounds or 1.5 kilos is almost unwearable...

That said, I like the design. I'd loose the belt, but that's just me.

Did you order it from overseas? Tell us about the experience - how did you arrive at the size.

Move to Tasmania and enjoy it more often. :)

Hi Seb,
Thanks for your comments. Yes, I guess I'm mad but I really like the jacket and will wear it on the coldest days here (yet to arrive this winter!). It is just going to take a loooong time to break in.

I ordered it from the USA on Ebay. I ride a bike and wear Vanson's technical bike jackets in size 50 (was able to try them on at a local dealer then was able to find one NWT on Ebay). So, that's how I arrived at the size for this Model J. As I said it might be one size too big, but I will be using it as a car coat style so I don't mind the fit.

Cheers,
Richard

OneStar

New in Town
narwhale said:
Wow, that looks great. If I had seen that I might have had a harder time pulling the trigger on my Aero LHB, especially considering I would probably already have it by now! Unfortunately Vanson's website leaves something to be desired (no indication that this jacket is available in brown, "horsehide available" but no link or price). Maybe that stuff is common knowledge, though. I'd love to see photos of it on when you get a chance.

Hi narwhale,
I agree with you about Vanson's website. From my communication with them they are always saying it is hard to find suitable cowhide quality, using this as the reason for such long lead times. As far as horsehide is concerned they have indicated that they are using very little of it nowdays. Disappointing, as the product is really good.

Cheers,
Richard

OneStar

New in Town
mopar 38 said:
:eusa_clap

Great looking Jacket , beautiful colour .

Can You check the weight of the Jacket ? , i am interested in , `cause i own a Aero Hercules in Heavy Horsehide Size 50 .
Please show Pic`s wearing the Vanson:)

Norbert

Hi Norbert,
Thanks for your comments. I will try to weigh is somewhere. It really is a hefty beast. Once my Highwayman arrives I'll try to get someone to take pics of both jackets on.

Cheers,
Richard

s_crumb

Familiar Face
I tried to custom order that same style in FQHH. They wrote me back and told me they don't deal with HH. They claimed the last time they ordered a batch of HH it took almost 3 years to arrive. I'm surprised and jealous that you scored one. :)

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Very nice. I like 3/4 length belted jackets that have the bi-swing backs. I don't think I've seen many without any belt loops on the front though. The leather really does look great doesn't it.

Peacoat

Bartender
s_crumb said:
I tried to custom order that same style in FQHH. They wrote me back and told me they don't deal with HH. They claimed the last time they ordered a batch of HH it took almost 3 years to arrive. I'm surprised and jealous that you scored one. :)

I had the same experience with Vanson when I talked to Larry back in December. I had seen the blurb about HH being available and was looking into it. He said they hoped to have a new supplier of quality HH and might receive a shipment sometime in the "future." I decided not to wait on a possible future shipment, and went with what Vanson does best. Even then it was 7 months before I received my Enfield.

Evidently it is also difficult to find a good supplier of quality thick cowhide, as I was told they had to send back an entire shipment due to quality problems. That was the reason for the delay in my getting my jacket.. However, it was well worth the wait.

OneStar

New in Town
I found this thread the other day and was wondering the same thing. I am also curious how this jacket looks when worn.

More than happy to repost my images, Desert Rider and Philalethes. Don't know why these links break. Does it happen over a matter of course with time? Anyhow, the jacket is really great, so solid, and is very slowly being worn in. The hide compares very well with my Aero Highwayman and is a bit more of a honey colour compared to the brown FQHH from Aero. I wear it without the belt as it becomes a bit of a fiddle to do up. Hope you enjoy the images.

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

OneStar

New in Town
Hi All,
I have decided to sell this beautiful jacket as I have recently lost a huge amount of weight. I absolutely LOVE it but it now looks rediculous on me, unfortunately. It will be on Ebay soon but I thought I should mention it here first with all the FQHH lovers on the forum. Vanson no longer makes this in horsehide so it is a pretty special jacket. Please let me know if there is any interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth