Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Maverick

thebruin

New in Town
Greetings!

I am interested in getting a Vanson Maverick trucker jacket

The problem is, I am torn between size 40 and 42. Does anyone happen to have a recently purchased Vanson Maverick (Not sure if they change their pattern) and could kindly provide the size, pit to pit and shoulder measurement? I would also appreciate any insight into the leather choices (I am especially interested in either comp weight black or mid weight black firenze)

I already tried emailing Vanson, and they told me pit to pit is useless and also would not give me a straight answer to shoulder measurement lol.

Greetings!

I am interested in getting a Vanson Maverick trucker jacket

The problem is, I am torn between size 40 and 42. Does anyone happen to have a recently purchased Vanson Maverick (Not sure if they change their pattern) and could kindly provide the size, pit to pit and shoulder measurement? I would also appreciate any insight into the leather choices (I am especially interested in either comp weight black or mid weight black firenze)

I already tried emailing Vanson, and they told me pit to pit is useless and also would not give me a straight answer to shoulder measurement lol.

Vanson is putting you on the game but you aren't listening!

Shoulder width is a pretend-measurement that doesn't really exist in a way the internet think it does. The distance between the shoulder seams is of a strictly aesthetical nature and has absolutely no effect on the wearability of the jacket.

As for which size to buy, that's extremely simple - The size you wear. If you are a size 40, buy a size 40. If you are a size 42, buy a size 42. Vanson told you everything you need to know. Unless you are a tailor, the pit to pit measurement is useless to you and you don't know what to do with it. I sure don't and it took me 10 plus years to realize this. That's why the size tag is there, so I wouldn't have to think that I am somehow smarter than the maker.

Leather we can help you with, though. Comp. Weight as far as I am concerned.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
That's why the size tag is there
Oh, it would be nice if you could rely on the size tag. In a perfect world that's true, but not in real life. That is why it is always recommended here in the forum to go by the measurements. I've already seen one and the same size differ within the same brand.
In this respect, I can understand the desire for P2P and don't understand why Vanson is bitching.
Let them just give the measurements instead of teaching them. And if, in their opinion, it doesn't help, then at least the customer is happy.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
P2P of a jacket is decided by the shoulder/ sleeve post/ arm hole opening, if the sleeve is huge all the way to your side compared to high armhole the P2P figure can be hugely different, when a jacket has a shoulder seam not a raglan model, I can imagine how it would fit with the shoulder width than a P2P ,

I know shoulder width can be 5cm different and the jacket would still fit me, but if I see let say 42cm shoulder I know the jacket would fit me like a shirt, when it is 44cm it would fit like a normal jacket, and when 46cm it would fit very square, anything beyond 46cm would start getting droopy, so I can still imagine somewhat.

when I shop online, I usually chat the seller to give my height and weight, and my neck circumference, and pants size, to help them imagine how I'm built and ask which size that would fit me trim and fit my neck , because boxiness on the waist can be fixed easily or cheaply , too big on the neck hole can't be fixed

Last edited:
Oh, it would be nice if you could rely on the size tag. In a perfect world that's true, but not in real life.

That's absolutely true but also relative & I should've stated that I'm talking about good brand, like Vanson, whom you should trust when it comes to a size tag. Vanson is pro af. I don't recall anyone on this forum who had to size up or down with Vanson or when they did, they were happy with the result.

In this respect, I can understand the desire for P2P and don't understand why Vanson is bitching.
Let them just give the measurements instead of teaching them. And if, in their opinion, it doesn't help, then at least the customer is happy.

I 100% understand Vanson on this - They are trying to minimize returns from customers who are convinced they're right and that Vanson is wrong.

How can Vanson even begin to explain how useless a "shoulder measurement" is to a person who had watched all top five most popular Youtube videos with over 300K views, on how to correctly measure you "shoulders width"?

Typical scenario that every maker has to deal with is when a customer sends in a bunch of measurements. They know, of course, that the person has absolutely no clue how to measure themselves and how clueless they are on how to measure their best fitting jacket and the worst part, their best fitting jacket doesn't fit them worth a damn anyway and all that it comes down to is lottery.

Sure, you know your measurements but how long did it take you to figure it out? How much time did you spend on it? And correct me if I'm wrong but I'm willing to bet you're still figuring stuff out even today, small touches to look for that affect the way a jacket fits you, features to avoid, etc. & that by the end of the year, you'll know a lot more than you did in January.

And who else do you know that invested even 1% as much time into clothes?

In retrospect, random people sending in random numbers is something no maker should have to deal. Customer should know the size number they wear before making an online purchase & leave the rest to the maker.

Few years ago I also claimed to be between sizes but I wasn't, not even when I was 10 kg lighter. I am a size US 42 or EU 52, if you will. My "measurements" were closer to a size 50 but size 50 never fit me right.

@thebruin, if you feel you are between sizes, always go with the higher number.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
That's absolutely true but also relative & I should've stated that I'm talking about good brand, like Vanson, whom you should trust when it comes to a size tag. Vanson is pro af. I don't recall anyone on this forum who had to size up or down with Vanson or when they did, they were happy with the result.

I 100% understand Vanson on this - They are trying to minimize returns from customers who are convinced they're right and that Vanson is wrong.

How can Vanson even begin to explain how useless a "shoulder measurement" is to a person who had watched all top five most popular Youtube videos with over 300K views, on how to correctly measure you "shoulders width"?

Typical scenario that every maker has to deal with is when a customer sends in a bunch of measurements. They know, of course, that the person has absolutely no clue how to measure themselves and how clueless they are on how to measure their best fitting jacket and the worst part, their best fitting jacket doesn't fit them worth a damn anyway and all that it comes down to is lottery.

Sure, you know your measurements but how long did it take you to figure it out? How much time did you spend on it? And correct me if I'm wrong but I'm willing to bet you're still figuring stuff out even today, small touches to look for that affect the way a jacket fits you, features to avoid, etc. & that by the end of the year, you'll know a lot more than you did in January.

And who else do you know that invested even 1% as much time into clothes?

In retrospect, random people sending in random numbers is something no maker should have to deal. Customer should know the size number they wear before making an online purchase & leave the rest to the maker.

Few years ago I also claimed to be between sizes but I wasn't, not even when I was 10 kg lighter. I am a size US 42 or EU 52, if you will. My "measurements" were closer to a size 50 but size 50 never fit me right.

@thebruin, if you feel you are between sizes, always go with the higher number.
As far as body measurements are concerned, especially the shoulder, I'm right there with you.
I still don't know how to reliably measure the shoulders.
But of course I know the range of measurements for my ideal jacket pretty well.
Unfortunately, I haven't yet had the pleasure of wearing a Vanson and therefore can't contribute anything. But of course I have no doubt that they are masters of their craft.
But if I wanted to order one, which I've actually planned to do before, I'd like to make sure that the result suits me. And when in doubt, I trust myself more than others ;)
After all, I've paid enough for it in the meantime :D

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shoulder width is a pretend-measurement that doesn't really exist in a way the internet think it does. The distance between the shoulder seams is of a strictly aesthetical nature and has absolutely no effect on the wearability of the jacket.

I will fight this until the end.

Shoulder length absolutely matters. If it's narrower than you, you can't wear the garment, no matter what people here or Stu say.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i measure the shoulder width on my jacket from seam to seam on top across the back side of the jacket, not from the front because the sleeve of some jacket can be front mounted and that makes it harder to see the seam because the sleeves are on the front, from the back is usually very clear, shoulder width is a range instead of a single number, if a jacket has a bi swing shoulder gusset/ action back, you can go your minimum width for me 42cm with biswing not pulled out, for a fixed shoulder I go with 44cm across, and for a square look (the sleeve hanging vertically down from the shoulder) I go with 46cm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymatmar