Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USPS Ground Advantage Gripes

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I am in the middle of my fourth ground advantage debacle this year. What is the matter with this service? I am at the point of asking eBay sellers how they ship and not buying unless they say “Priority.”

I now have yet another package lost in the ground advantage quagmire - no idea where it is, the seller doesn’t know and nobody at USPS has any clue what’s going on. The seller dropped it off - even has a photo of it with the proper shipping label. That was three days ago. I guess it’s on a truck and just didn’t get imputed to tracking… but that’s just a guess.

Can anybody shed any light on why this service is so bad? I am a trucker so I know how things can get hung up…. but last Friday my USPS distribution center (the one in my town here in Alabama) received a package via ground advantage and put the dang thing on an airplane to Los Angeles!

And I’ve had two other “WTF?!” experiences since the beginning of the year, including one where the hat was lost for so long the the seller actually issued me a refund.

I guess maybe this is a bitch and moan thread but the USPS service appears to be degenerating in front of our eyes - or at least, ground advantage does not appear to be that very advantageous at all.

What the heck Newman? Cliff? Frikkin Ben Franklin!! Tighten up people!

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Nothing worse than following the tracking, watching it get closer and closer, then suddenly it’s spectacularly off in the wrong direction….:oops:

Glad/sorry to hear I’m not the only one this has happened to. I was beginning to wonder if I’m just having a streak of bad luck or maybe I angered the postal gods…

rogueclimber

One of the Regulars
What the heck Newman? Cliff? Frikkin Ben Franklin!! Tighten up people!

USPS is as big a joke as TSA

Bureaucracies of incompetence.

After I had apparently filed enough online complaints, I received a call from USPS to address my concerns. All they basically said is that the tracking they offer is merely an estimate and when marked delivered all it means is that the item arrived at the post office...

I feel your pain, and hope this is resolved favorably soon

(And you had me laughing with the "Newman? Cliff? Frikkin Ben" comment!)

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
USPS is as big a joke as TSA

Bureaucracies of incompetence.

After I had apparently filed enough online complaints, I received a call from USPS to address my concerns. All they basically said is that the tracking they offer is merely an estimate and when marked delivered all it means is that the item arrived at the post office...

I feel your pain, and hope this is resolved favorably soon

(And you had me laughing with the "Newman? Cliff? Frikkin Ben" comment!)

Oh man. For you, is it also happening with Priority? I haven’t had any Priority complaints, just ground advantage.

Yeah, I figured best to end my gripe with a chuckle. After all, at least we can trust that our postal worker aren’t making off with our goods - the same can’t be said in many countries.

Hello…Newman…. Get with it ya louse!

Last edited:

rogueclimber

One of the Regulars
is it also happening with Priority?

Mine have all been priority...

Had two packages marked "Delivered" to my buildings communal stack of PO Boxes just before christmas -- neither package was in my box, no key to open the larger boxes, and nothing stacked around the lobby...

I had two tracking numbers provided through Informed Delivery, but USPS said sorry, only the shipper can trace the package. As I had no idea who had sent what I assume must have been gifts there was no way to search for the packages and USPS basically said tough, we won't back trace them

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Mine have all been priority...

Had two packages marked "Delivered" to my buildings communal stack of PO Boxes just before christmas -- neither package was in my box, no key to open the larger boxes, and nothing stacked around the lobby...

I had two tracking numbers provided through Informed Delivery, but USPS said sorry, only the shipper can trace the package. As I had no idea who had sent what I assume must have been gifts there was no way to search for the packages and USPS basically said tough, we won't back trace them

Jeez! How did that story end - did you get the gifts?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Glad/sorry to hear I’m not the only one this has happened to. I was beginning to wonder if I’m just having a streak of bad luck or maybe I angered the postal gods…
There's a post on some forum about the UK's version of USPS, namely, Royal Mail. Let me give you a few quotes:

"Basically they lost parcel (Special Delivery Guaranteed) value of £360, made claim, provided what they asked, they acknowledged they lost parcel and I got a cheque for cost of postage only with a letter saying they wont refund the value."

There follows at good deal of verbal insults, commiserations from others and many profanities. However one reader suggest contacting The Postal Review Panel. Its our official complaints bureau.

"I made a complaint via postal review panel, which they contacted Royal Mail, then they figured is better to honour the value cover than have any hassle.
basically you have to make it really annoying in order to have some justice almost a month later."

He wouldn't get ten out of ten for grammar but well done him for persistence. Glad to read that you have managed to keep your sense of humour. It must be difficult when the red mist of anger descends.

RickP

A-List Customer
Not make light (because ive seen the exact issues many times... I feel the pain), But I got in a habit of gambling with myself. If something gets here quickly and in great shape, I grill up a steak and pop open a Shiner Bock or Stella Artois. If it goes missing or doesnt get here on time, I make chili with iced tea. Celebrate when we can!

Couple years ago I had a package come out of the Boston area... made it to Atlanta, to Memphis, to Dallas to Palestine Tx ( 30 miles north of me)... then to Oklahoma City, to Los Angelas and back to Mass. (Arrrgh! sooo close). Adventures in shipping. These days If the item is within 100 miles I usually use it as an excuse to take the dog on a road trip and just pick up myself ( unfortunately all the cool stuff I find seems to come from Upstate New York, Miami or Calgary Canada)

RickP

A-List Customer
Too bad the Local Walmart Superstore doesnt have a Vintage Fedora department lol

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Not make light (because ive seen the exact issues many times... I feel the pain), But I got in a habit of gambling with myself. If something gets here quickly and in great shape, I grill up a steak and pop open a Shiner Bock or Stella Artois. If it goes missing or doesnt get here on time, I make chili with iced tea. Celebrate when we can!

Couple years ago I had a package come out of the Boston area... made it to Atlanta, to Memphis, to Dallas to Palestine Tx ( 30 miles north of me)... then to Oklahoma City, to Los Angelas and back to Mass. (Arrrgh! sooo close). Adventures in shipping. These days If the item is within 100 miles I usually use it as an excuse to take the dog on a road trip and just pick up myself ( unfortunately all the cool stuff I find seems to come from Upstate New York, Miami or Calgary Canada)

I’m beginning to think this newest escapade might be seller error. The photo he sent of the package only has the label affixed on the four corners (it is therefore easily torn off accidentally). I’m also not satisfied that he actually physically handed the thing to anyone - for all I know he might have left it somewhere at the post office where anyone could walk off with it.

I am trying to coax more information out of him. At least a copy of the receipt would be useful when I go on Monday to ask. But I don’t believe the USPS would have accepted the package with the label affixed in such a shoddy manner.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
There's a post on some forum about the UK's version of USPS, namely, Royal Mail. Let me give you a few quotes:

"Basically they lost parcel (Special Delivery Guaranteed) value of £360, made claim, provided what they asked, they acknowledged they lost parcel and I got a cheque for cost of postage only with a letter saying they wont refund the value."

There follows at good deal of verbal insults, commiserations from others and many profanities. However one reader suggest contacting The Postal Review Panel. Its our official complaints bureau.

"I made a complaint via postal review panel, which they contacted Royal Mail, then they figured is better to honour the value cover than have any hassle.
basically you have to make it really annoying in order to have some justice almost a month later."

He wouldn't get ten out of ten for grammar but well done him for persistence. Glad to read that you have managed to keep your sense of humour. It must be difficult when the red mist of anger descends.

At least if I never get this package, then it is on eBay to refund me. The seller will have to deal with USPS. At least that’s what I assume will happen.

RickP

A-List Customer
I know my local Post Office will not accept labels like that.. They will either tape over or hand you the tape. Unfortunately there are sooo many sellers playing games with rare items

RickP

A-List Customer
Too bad I didnt have the hat interest 30 yrs ago when the goodies we all crave were common in thrift stores after someone cleaned house or passed

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Yeah, it’s a really well-maintained black leather Schott A2, compete with fur collar and liner. Excellent condition. I may never find another one in that condition but especially for the price I paid. Would be a shame if it’s lost due to seller error. Looking at his profile, it seems he never sold anything on eBay at all - all of his feedback is for purchases.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Too bad I didnt have the hat interest 30 yrs ago when the goodies we all crave were common in thrift stores after someone cleaned house or passed

Even back 8 years ago when I first started collecting, there was a lot more on offer for cheaper prices on eBay. I feel like Loungers are still finding great deals, but they have to work harder for them.

rogueclimber

One of the Regulars
Some kind of scam?

No idea. All I know is that USPS told me they delivered two packages, and I never saw them

If I had been expecting something I could have pursued it further but beyond the notification I know nothing

1717274935322.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123